Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Specialized tires – any good??
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

More specifically are their xc tyres any good? Looking for 2.2-2.3 all rounders I guess.

Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve got some specialized Enduros which are good, but a bit heavy.

tinsy
    Free Member

mmmmm, you better check your clearances if your looking at that size Specialized tyre on an XC bike they come up huge…

2.1s only just cleared the rear stays on my Stumpjumper FSR and took all the paint off when it got muddy, i stick to 2.0’s now and they are similar in size to some makes 2.3..

crikey
    Free Member

I think they are great, but then I’m not one of those ‘Brand X tyres nearly killed me when they washed out on a knarly blah blah blah, so you must buy Brand Y or people will laugh at you in the car park’ types.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

tinsy – which 2.0 are you using?

grumm
    Free Member

When I first got my Eskars on my Pitch I hated them, but I am running one on the back now and it seems fine. Prefer something grippier like a High Roller on the front though. Gonna try running it tubeless.

thefallguy
    Free Member

sworks captains are a good xc bet, really good in most conditions, blow up large for quoted size, reasonably light at 540g, option to run tubeless too.
    eskars are bigger, heavier at 740g but are great as an all mountain option.

Lionheart
    Free Member

We have lots of fancy tires on the tyre pile, for racing and…., but use my Enduros (new version is Eskar- people say same and better) on my everyday steed used in all weathers, I like them they do drift but are consistent. And they appear not to be wearing at all!?! They are huge though, so check your clearances

tinsy
    Free Member

I run Adrenalines, think they are now called Resolutions on my full sus bike, they are an OK allrounder but not really great at anything except they do seem to excel at trail centres (well Afan and Coedy anyhow). Be ok if you get some cheap enough.

And Fast Traks on my hardtail, now these do exactly what they say on the tin and are great fast tyres in drier conditions, BUT they do way better than expected in soft going too, but mud tyres they are not, so there is a limit to them. I really rate these again if you can get them at the right price.

My Fast Traks are about shot and am going to try some small block 8s but only as I got them cheap… I primarily run Spesh tyres as you can get a pair for the price of some other makes 1.

crikey has just about got my opinion on tyres.

Both types I use are nice and light, plenty volume, reasonable price. Worth a punt in my opinion.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I had some years ago, can’t remember which but they were pretty good all rounders. Have been looking at maxxis etc, but the price is a bit steep. Think I’ll get some spesh and see how it goes.

Tracey

Running 2.3 Enduros on most of our bikes set a 30psi and cant fault them, they are big for there size

Tracey

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i swaped form enduro’s to swampthings and realised what i’d eben missing i terms of grip in soft soil.

Then to a highroller/hollyroller combo and realised they were actualy rubbish in dry hardpack as well!

Used to love them, and still keep them for BMX track type riding where all the corners are bermed.

Sam

Big fan of the Captains for same reasons as thefallguy – versatile, decent weight and volume and work well tubeless. Reasonably priced too.

glenp
    Free Member

Adrenaline/Resolution are my fave tyres, which I’ll be going back to once I’ve gone through my current Conti MK Supersonics.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I really like specialized tyres. They all seem to be a good weight and roll good and are built better than a lot of tyres that cost more. I have some captains and they are great all rounders. As stated though they are massive compared to other tyres, in the same size of other makes. I would say a 2.0 is like an average 2.3-2.4! THey used to be even wider in the past. My mates old Enduros in 2.2 looked like 2.7. Thats my only gripe with them.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts all, thanks tinsy for the link. Spesh it is.

snotrag

Another thing to note with Specialized Tyres –

The ‘2Bliss’ casing tyres are the best I’ve found for using with Stans/ghetto type tubeless setup.

They seal VERY easily, can seat the bead, dry, straight out the packet, with a few swift strokes from a track pump. I’m impressed.
    As above, Fast Traks are great for bombing along bridleways/towpaths/dry trails, surpsingly ok in woods too.

I have a pair of Fast Traks (optimistic) and a Pair of Storm Control (great mud tyres, more realistically) in the boot now jsut as I set off for mayhem.

daim

I second snotrag’s comments on 2Bliss – Run Eskars ghetto just sealing the rims with tape (no BMX tube faff). A little Stan’s solution and they sealed first time and lose no air at all. Very impressed and would certainly buy them again.

I used to run Enduro Pro’s but prefer the Eskars as they have much less rolling resistance and they are not as ridiculously wide.

Chase
    Free Member

I use Enduro Pro 2.3s. I think you can still pick them up for about £12 each at Rutland cycling. Far better than the Minnions I had before. About 800g inc inner tube. I’ve never thought about it before but they come up on the big side but in comparrison to other 2’3s. I had looked at replacing them with some UST tyres (I already have the rims) to save some weight but most fat UST tyres weigh more than the tyre and tube anyway.

The Specialized tyres that came on Mrs Chase’s Hardrock were crap though. Swapped them for the Enduro 2.3s and it feels like a different bike.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Specialized tires – any good??’ is closed to new replies.