• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Del.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Specialized Tahoe or something else ?
  • SnS
    Free Member

Both my pairs of elderly Tahoe’s have officially had it.

Before I go and order myself some more – Is there anything else I should be looking at ?

Thanks,
    Chris

Del

i’d suggest moving up the range a bit. tahoes are pretty flexi IME, compared to the more dedicated cycling shoes. you’ll be glad of the extra support a stiffer sole gives.

Klunk
    Free Member

something from the shimano mt range

Clobber
    Free Member

too flexy

toys19
    Free Member

I love my tahoes, but I’ve only ever had tahoes..

SnS
    Free Member

I’m pretty much the same as Toys19 (…other than a couple of pairs of Shimano winter boots)

I’m reckoning I’ll still need an element of flexibility for when I’m walking / scrambling up or down things.

Chris

Del

m’K, but you probably need less than you think. how much time do you spend walking or scrambling compared to riding?
    i use shimano mt90 boots, but also like my polycarb and carbon soled shoes, and prefer these by some margin for actually pedalling and putting power down. i can’t afford to waste any! 😆

geoffj

Flats + Merrels

ton

SnS, i have some size 12 tahoes going cheap.

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Five Ten Maltese Falcon is a very good alternative to the Tahoe and a great trail riding shoe.

SnS
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. 🙂

tbh I’ve been a bit tunnel visioned on Tahoe’s as the various models I’ve owned have served me very well over the years, but times and technology have moved on…hence the request for alternatives !

As far as walking / scrambling – I’ve just got back from a ride of which a disproportionate amount seemed to be squelching in peat bogs and stumbling around on rocky ground, so although I understand the need for stiff soles, I do need at least some flexibility. – I dare say a more competent rider would have managed most of the rocky sections without too much of a problem but having had two broken ankles in the last three years, I came to the conclusion that I don’t bounce as well as I used to when I come off 🙁
    (But, point taken when Ive been out all day & the ball’s of my feet are giving me grief right where the cleats are….something which stiffer soles could very well help with).

As for flats, I’ve spent the last ten years plus clipped in & the odd occasion when I do ride flats, it feels totally alien.

Ton – That’s a very kind offer, but you’re a couple of shoe sizes bigger than me !

Thanks for the suggestions – I will be investigating them.
    Thanks guys,
    Chris

Del

also bear in mind that walking boots tend to have stiffened lasts in them..
    😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Tahoe or something else ?’ is closed to new replies.