Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Bearings
  • crispo
    Free Member

Ive got a 2010 Spesh stumpy FSR comp.

I have recently noticed a bit of play in the linkages between the swing arms and shock. When I move it I can feel a slight movement. Have checked that the bolts are actually tighs so think it must mean that the bearings are on their way out.

Does this sound right? Any other owners did you change them yourself (if so how easy/hard and where did you get the bits from?) or is it a job for the LBS?

Thanks

davy-g
    Free Member

could it be that the shock bushings are worn??

schnor
    Free Member

^^ sounds like bushings, IME you can’t really feel worn bearings in this way (unless they’re really f*cked).

Expose them and put the tip of your index finger in the bearing ID and rotate your wrist 90o back and forth to see if they’re notchy, either way, prize the seals off and repack with grease (ebay morris k99 grease) until they’re smooth.

Saying that though bearing extraction its the only thing I really CBA doing myself. I’ve faffed for too long with home-made blind bearing extractors, screwdrivers / hammers / etc and for the sake of £40 (drop if off doing into work, pick it up on the way back) its better for my blood pressure too 😳

cakefacesmallblock

Undo a couple of linkages, you’ll soon feel if the bearings are knackered by turning them with a finger. Talk to Kaesae (on here) for bearings for most things at reasonable money and advice too.
    Did mine at home quite easily on my Trance and all has been fine since doing them some months back now ! Could just be the bushing in the upper shock eyelet, check there first.

crispo
    Free Member

Right, thanks for the comments. I had a play around last night before I went out for a ride. Ive taken a picture of the bit I have figured out as the bit that has developed play.

Is that bit the bushing then?

joeyj
    Free Member

Definately looks like the bushings. Had mine changed last week on my 2007 stumpy fsr expert m4 by M Steel Cycles in Newcastle for the two bushings plus fitting cost £15 but any specialzed dealer will be able to sort for you.

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds like it is the shock bushings that need sorting then!

Right next question…….Spesh dealer near Preston!?

davy-g
    Free Member

Check in with Kael first… http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KaTec-Bikes?_trksid=p4340.l2563 send him a message and he will advise ya…. I bought my bushings and bearings for my Commencal and Trek Session 10 , he is an A1 bloke..

trusty

Err.. isn’t that a bearing in the swing link? Just checking as in my experience Spesh only put bushes in the eyelets at the end(s) of the shock, and everything else uses bearings.

schnor
    Free Member

Yeah thats the lower shock eyelet, there’s a bearing this side of the shock wishbone underneath the arrow, and IIRC the unthreaded bit of the m14 bolt effectively acts as a bushing. It’ll be a 6802RS or 6800RS.

Put the bike on its side (or upside down with the wheel off), unscrew the bolts on either side (6mm allen key), lift the shock up/down out of the way as much as it can and see how bad the bearings are. Repack with grease and see if the problem goes away.

I can’t remember if this bit has those stupidly easy to lose angled spacers, so make sure you don’t drop them!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Bearings’ is closed to new replies.