Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Specialized Stumpjumper Expert EVO Carbon 29er
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any one got one of these stealth machines? how does it climb? lovely looking thing, looks pretty much spot on spec wise (as in i wouldnt need to change anything), its pretty pricey at 4.5k

it would be a jack of all trade do it all bike, so need it to be nimble climbing, and obviously ploughing through the peak rocks/boulders/meteorites

its one of the few 29ers i think actually looks quite nice, helped by the full on stealth black

any real world views on it? i know the enduro expert evo carbon is getting glowing write ups but 160mm front and rear sounds a bit to much even for peak riding (although thats still light for its build)

JCL
    Free Member

I have the aluminium version with a 34 RLC/full XO etc but will be selling shortly as I’m going Camber and Enduro.

That said, if I could only have one bike it would be the carbon Evo Stumpy. You can get them under 27lb without making compromises and considering what it can do that’s totally nuts.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Nope but I may be able to report back once I’ve secured a demo. The Spesh looks good on paper, the numbers add up and I believe the bike will have the characteristics of the things I love about my two current bikes (ASR5C & Solaris).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i think they look ace, even as a 29er, i think ive read on paper that the bike weighs 26.67lbs which is fairly light

gonna defo have a test ride before, but like you on paper it looks spot on

Carax
    Free Member

Absolutely love my Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er.
    The up spec to the Expert must be awesome.
    Having ridden various MTB in the last 30 (OMG yes thirty years) this is the first bike that was a definite ‘game changer’ for me from any before. It transformed my riding – climbs like a dream & massively increasing my confidence on descents. On my regular rides around the Peak district and Cannock, the occasions when I would rather be on a Full susser are very minimal.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

carax you talking about a hardtail? 😆

im on about the full susser 29er

chrismac

Um very tempted to one myself. Nearly bought a frame on ebay last night. I was good and didnt bid but some one got a bargain, £800 for 2013 carbon stumpy evo 29er frame, headset and rear shock.

Add some pikes £550 and some hop hoops £400 and your well on the way to a superb bike without spending silly money

warns74
    Free Member

Nearly bought a frame on ebay last night. I was good and didnt bid but some one got a bargain, £800 for 2013 carbon stumpy evo 29er frame, headset and rear shock.

Add some pikes £550 and some hop hoops £400 and your well on the way to a superb bike without spending silly money

Doing something similar to this only using an 2013 FSR carbon comp 29er frame (non-evo), Pikes, Spank Oozy wheelset and has come in at about £1300 less than a new Evo. Last couple of bits to go on to complete the build but cant wait to try it out!

toons
    Free Member

I’ve got one and absolutely love it. Persuaded another friend to buy one and he loves it too!! He said the bike just feels right from the off.

The sworks version Won trail bike of the year in dirt 100.

I think Bike Scene still have a few of last year’s frames for sale.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

toons any pics bud? have you got this years one?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I rode one for a while, trying to decide between the Stumpy Evo and the Enduro 29.

If I wasn’t racing (including DH) I would have gone for the Stumpy over the Enduro I think.

It’s a great bike.

DT78
    Free Member

Isn’t the evo bit to do with the build kit used? The frame is the same between evo and non evo isn’t it?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers hob nob, yep have lusted over your enduro before on here, just a bit to much for me (i like climbing to much to justify 160mm), but its still probably lighter than my current 140mm!

i reckon the stumpy would be the way to go!

toons
    Free Member

The frame isn’t the same between the evo and non evo.

Sorry it’s last years model, do you still want photos?

wonnyj
    Free Member
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

toons – Member
    The frame isn’t the same between the evo and non evo.

Sorry it’s last years model, do you still want photos?

please toons can vaguely remember pics of yours i think (did you have a mojo before it?!) seem to remember you on a xx1 thread, but please some nice photos 🙂

cheers wonnyj but its the 29 f/s im on about 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Never understand why Spesh used stumpy for FS and HT – look at the confusing it creates!!!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have the version with normal size wheels- custom specced with Pikes, Zee, Easton Havens etc. It’s 25.5lbs and is spiffing. It needs to be ridden very hard to get the most out of it. Mine replaced 3 bikes- a Giant Anthem, Evil Sovereign and Orange Five and it does all they did nicely, being 1.5lbs heavier than the anthem but having more travel than the Five.

toons
    Free Member

Still got the Mojo HD, i need to split it and list it in the classifieds.

started like this

and now looks like this (now 11sp, changed the rims, shorter 35mm stem and pikes)

Looking to change the reverb to a lev or a stealth reverb (if i can workout how to do that) so i can get the 150mm drop rather than the 125mm.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Ah sorry OW you meant FS!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

toons that looks proper nice! TBH i actually prefer the eccentric neon dashes of colour in yours (and the year previous too) over the all stealth look, still looks mint stealth, but with the neon-orange dashes it looks better i think mixed with carbon

and matching enve’s too, touche 😉

very very nice!

munro how does it compare to the five? if at all? any comparisons to be drawn?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

toons also out of interest how did you get that effect on the last photo? the sorted of jagged post card photo?

NormalMan

OK so I’m a bit of a Spesh fan* so a tad biased but toons, man that is a nice looking bike!

*Camber Expert 26er that I’m ‘EVOing’ and Carve Expert 29er (I won’t mention the road stuff 😉 )

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, funny you should ask that. For the first few months after I got the Stumpjumper I couldn’t get on with it. While it was noticeably better on the climbs (although more depended on the propedal) I couldn’t get it to do what I wanted on the descents. My Strava times were all faster but I felt slower. The ride wasn’t as involving or exciting as the Five.

I’ve got used to it now- they’re very different in terms of geometry in almost every way with the Stumpy having very short stays, very low BB and very long front end while the Five has a high BB, long back end and normal front end. Now I’m used to it I really enjoy it, but it needs to be pushed harder than the Five to make it as exciting. It’s just as good at big mountain stuff, despite being much easier to carry up.

I’d say it’s a touch better than the Five once you’re used to it. Very different though, which led to me being underwhelmed at first.

toons
    Free Member

The photo effect is from instagram. The rear is an enve but the front is a derby rim with stickers to match!

I bought my frame from here
    http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-Expert-Carbon-Evo-29-Frame-6009-0-0.html
    Looks like they’ve got a large and small frame? Plus they did me a very good deal on the original wheels\fork\frame package.

BTW I found changing the stem from 50mm to 35mm speeded up the steering.

NormalMan

teamhurtmore – Member
    Never understand why Spesh used stumpy for FS and HT – look at the confusing it creates

They seem aimed at different types of riding/or rider too which adds to the confusion!

mega
    Free Member

Was very keen on this bike but I really don’t like how Spesh specced Pike RC rather than RCT3 on the Carbon model. That feels a bit tight given it’s a very expensive bike.

Apparently the RCT3 is a significantly better fork. Do you think it would be better to try and build one up from a frame and pick the exact components I want?

toons
    Free Member

Problem is you can’t buy the stumpy fsr carbon evo 29 as a frame only (in the UK)!

So when Bikescence bought all of the 2013 Specialized warranty frames and started selling them, i jumped at the chance and I’m so glad i did.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Apparently the RCT3 is a significantly better fork. Do you think it would be better to try and build one up from a frame and pick the exact components I want?

It’s the same Charge damper, just with different adjusters.

My Enduro had a Pike RC on it, and I’ve swapped it for an RCT3 & I can’t actually tell the difference…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=61474&categoryID=402

you can buy the frame only in the uk now toons, or did you mean you couldnt last year?

how tall are you toons? no idea on sizing to go down the bikescene route? im 6ft bang on

and cheers munro, interesting, TBF its very hard to just instantly say a bikes better than one your used too, plus with 29er wheels too, but like you say once your used to it, it sounds like you have just as much fun, glad to hear it climbs better too

mega
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Cheers for the info about the dampers

OW – i’d go for a large at 6ft with a stubby stem to speed up the steering

Even at £1800 for the Bikescene frames, it seems a lot for a Specialized frame. If it was a Santa Cruz or some fancy boutique frame I could understand but in my head a Specialized shouldn’t cost nearly that much. Maybe I’ve just lost touch with the price of stuff. My Stumpy FSR carbon bike cost me £2800 new in 2012

Not saying there is anything wrong with Spesh – I think they make awesome bikes but I’d thought with mass market status they’d make them a bit cheaper / better specced.

JCL
    Free Member

They are big bikes for the stated size. If you can fit on a large with a 30/40mm stem that is the way to go. I wouldn’t want longer than a 50mm on a medium.

toons
    Free Member

Yep last year. 5,10 and ride a large.

When I bought the frame it was £1550, you might be able to get a deal?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers jcl and toons sounds like I’d probably need a large too

Just out interest what wheel and fork package did they do you? Understand if you don’t want to tell me a price but just wondered what I’d get as a package really fork and wheel wise ?

J273
    Free Member

Toons, Did you knock them down to that price for the frame being £1800 now or was when you bought it priced at £1500?

Wouldnt mind replacing my enduro 26er with one of these after being bitten by the 29er bug 😆

Thanks

ianpv
    Free Member

I bought the standard alloy stumpy 29er frame from bikescene and built it up with a 140mm revelation – couldn’t justify double the money for the evo carbon. It is an incredibly good bike, but deserves stiffer wheels and fork than I’ve got on it. I’ve not touched my patriot since building it up – I just can’t imagine where it would be more fun. Those evos will be brilliant – but the standard stumpy 29er frames are £600 now from bikescene which is an incredible deal. the geo changes with a 140mm fork are slight, and you lose 5mm of travel…

If I was paying full price I’d be very tempted by the enduro instead…

ianpv
    Free Member

179cm on a M with 50mm stem, if that helps with sizing…

slowboydickie

Love mine. Put a 150 fork on it and I reckon it is a touch too long so will be shortening to 140.

toons
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly whats your email address?

They had them on at £1550 (have a look into the mag’s around May) and increased it to £1800.

toons
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Stumpjumper Expert EVO Carbon 29er’ is closed to new replies.