Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Specialized 'stout' freehub on a 2007 rockhopper
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

Well, I’ve got one and its buggered….. as am I, trying to work out how to get it off.

I looked from the cassette side but cant see any slots for an allen key. Any ideas? (apart from tourettes, or a hammer).

ps. despite what google says, this thing uses loose bearings in a cup and cone fitting.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

large allen key from non drive side.

either way unless you can fix it, which i doubt you cant get spares, spec used to say they are a disposable part – along with the rest of the wheel..

wordnumb
    Free Member

Unlike a Shimano you get at the Stout freehub from the non-drive side. It’s a bigger key as well, try 12mm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scrumfled
    Free Member

hmmm presumably you can replace the freehub with another though?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

newp… not that i found

Pook

I just changed wheels when mine went – after similar investigations.

JoeG
    Free Member

Some pics might be helpful to those that might want to help you… 😐

orangeboy
    Free Member

Allen key from non drive side and a trip to your local Spesh dealer ,
    Is the bearing surface on the non drive side ok and what’s the rest of the wheel like
    Before you spend money on somthing that’s dead anyway

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I have a set of spesh wheels with stout hubs.. is it impossible to get a freehub then? out of interest..

schnor
    Free Member

I’m 99% sure its a 11mm (7/16th fit too) allen key. I’ve never been able to get one off even using a vice and breaker bar, and unless your spec shop has a spare hanging about you can’t really get them (IIRC they are an ancient DT swiss design that they don’t make spares for any more)

Like others here I just spent £50/£60 on a new wheel on fleabay.

tomaso
    Free Member

It is a very large allen key from the non-drive side 12mm sounds about right. I called my local’ish Spesh Concept store last year and got a new freehub body for £12 :mrgreen:

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

As with Tomaso above I called a local specialized pro dealer and they sourced the part for about a tenner iirc.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Ended up with the same fix as Tomaso. Just took the old body apart and its fair to say its had a hard life.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Well that just tells me Spec UK were being difficult cos the shop wasnt a Spec dealer..hmph

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Specialized 'stout' freehub on a 2007 rockhopper’ is closed to new replies.