Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Specialized Storm Control or Maxxis Beaver
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Seeing as the met office predicts more wind and rain throughout feb, and no end in sight to the mudbath. I’m thinking maybe I should take my Maddox Advantages off and fit some mud tyres.

Out of the above which would be the best. A local ride for example will take me on a very muddy track, a bogtastic muddy field, a short bit of road (1.5 mile) and then fireroad and rooty wooded trail.

Which of the above would be the best all rounder.

Will be on a 26inch wheeled 100mm Hardtail.

piemonster

Conti vert pros

davosaurusrex

I’ll vote for what I’ve got which is a 2.25 Beaver on the front and 2.0 Storm on the back. 29er though

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Seems a good combo one of each. Oh and I’ve just realised I’ve put it in the wrong forum. Please can it be moved?

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve used both extensively and they’re both brilliant winter tyres. I have settled on the Beavers though as I find they are better all-rounders than the Storms, coping very well with roots and rocks, although probably not quite as good in deep mud, but not far off.

piemonster

Seems a good combo one of each. Oh and I’ve just realised I’ve put it in the wrong forum. Please can it be moved?

Post reported, but in a good way 🙂

brassneck

Have Storms both end of my hardtail, no complaints other than mounting tubeless was trickier than usual (using a tube to seat one side of the bead worked). Slow on anything other than slop but not really a problem a for a few months I’d say!

madjak
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X 2.0 on front and 1.8 on the rear for super muddy conditions, otherwise a 2 for the rear as well.

Hook up nice, roll well on the road.

Nothings good on rooty stuff but better than a Advantage deffo.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Another +1 for 2.25 beavers. I’m running one on the front of my Soul at the moment with a Mud-X on the back, Fantastic winter combo. Have tried storms but I find them draggy on anything other than mud. A word of warning, the 2.0 beavers are tiny! closer to a 1.85 IMO.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Where’s cheapest for the 2.25 ones? And will they be ok with tubes front and rear.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Stif currently have them for £23 each. Can’t see any problem using them with tubes, although mine is set up tubeless on a Flow rim.

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/maxxis-beaver-26×2-25-kev-exo-tyre/12010

dawson

I have been using a 26″ 2.0 Beaver on the back of my singlespeed, with a tube and its great – definitely on the skinny side – great in my local mud, fine on the road riding to the woods, better than the Medusa it replaced, but wouldn’t want to take it anywhere too rocky

jameso

Conti vert pros

I have some if you’re buying )

Showing that tyre choices are all a bit personal and subjective, of those 2 used in the Chilterns (clay clag, usual mud and flinty/rooty ground) I thought the Storm Controls were a better mud tyre. Beavers were OK but wasn’t really that impressed, cleared well but lacked the cornering bite that the Storm Controls have. S-Cs also seem better on rooty bits, dual compound may help there. 2-bliss is good too.

mattbee

Happy with the Storm on my ss, mainly chalky SDW/QECP or Lordswood slop.
    Run tubeless, first time I inflated them took lots of faff but swapped wheels this week and they went up easily.

trusty

I’m surprised widge hasn’t posted already… Anyway, he’s running a storm at the back and a big beaver (fnarr) at the front. Seems to work for him.

widge34
    Free Member

I have the Beaver on the front and the storm on the rear. Great combo

slowboydickie

Think I’ve got 2x medusa and 1x trail raker in the shed. Need to get round to selling.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my front Beaver with a Storm – just had to as the Beaver was simply not gripping enough

Quite an improvement

widge34
    Free Member

Sorry Trusty. Didn’t see your post, before I posted.

jonnyv
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X designed for ‘right now’ conditions.

pedlad

V happy with the geox datura in the mud. V grippy and confidence building. Got them from on one very cheap. They are a bit sketchy on rocks though.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Bonty mud x are £50 a pair from triton cycles. Will they be ok on wet rooty stuff and fireroads with a layer of squashed pine needles and gravel. Also wet wooden steps.

JCL
    Free Member

Test in MBR this month. I think the Storm Controls won but I haven’t read the test yet.

Clobber
    Free Member

People above calling the beaver small but the beaver 2.0 is slightly bigger volume than mud-x or storm control 2.0’s

Beaver also available in 2.25 for more volume.

I find the beaver a much nicer rolling tyre in all conditions and able to cope with mud. I used to love the mud-x…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Clobber are you talking 29 or 26? No experience of 29, but a 26 storm control is much bigger than a 26 beaver. I have both, tried on the same rims. I agree about performance though, prefer the beaver for all round winter riding

davewalsh
    Free Member

I agree with wilko. In 26″ 2.0 flavour, storm is the biggest, then the mud-x and the beaver is the smallest of the three.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Storm Control or Maxxis Beaver’ is closed to new replies.