Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Specialized Sequoia Expert or Genesis Croix de Fer?
  • asile321
    Free Member

Hi all. I’ve had my heart set on a Genesis Croix de Fer 20 or 30 for months now, but after getting frustrated with missing out on online auctions or there being older models with mechanical disc brakes (and having highly-rated alu CX bikes on my shortlist to cause confusion), I now have the opportunity to buy a Specialized Sequoia Expert for £900 (half the RRP).
    It ticks many boxes – steel framed (yes, I know, divisive), Shimano 105 gears and hydraulic disc brakes, practical (braze ons, bottle holders etc.), so now I’m thinking I might go that way instead of holding out for a sub £900 Croix de Fer 30.
    There aren’t many reviews – unsurprising due to it’s high price point, but aside from the negative road.cc one (which, I think, wasn’t quite appropriate for the bike’s target market/buyer/usage), I have read a couple of positive reviews and (many) user comments on US sites, although some user comments are more positive in anticipation, or based on having the base model Sequoia, rather than from actual usage.

Thought I’d find out if anyone here owns the Expert so I could get some feedback (the Elite is the top, eye-wateringly expensive model with SRAM). I’ve not found an LBS stocking this model as yet (again, not surprised).

To confirm, I’m obviously not looking to race Cyclocross but I do want something that I can take out all day, and possibly even do short multi-day trips with in a year or two, use on different terrain and feels sturdy (tyre width, wheelcase etc.). This will be my first proper bike for a long while and I had considered just getting a single speed for ease of maintenance, but given that I will want to tackle some hills it’s probably sensible to get gears (not that I’m afraid of going SS or getting off and pushing if need be).

My shortlist included Merida Cyclo cross 500, Pinnacle Arkose, CAADX, GT Grade, Spesh Diverge (all often go for around £500 on eBay), Norco Threshold A1 or Search, Surly, couple of Kona models, even Jamis, Genesis Equilibrium or Day One, and Ribble Audax or Planet X model – you see the confusion, I obviously want them all now. And as much as I know there are advantages to the aluminium bikes (particularly if they have a carbon fork), I like the idea of steel (I know, insert eye roll here).

I would never consider the Spesh Expert new at RRP or current sale prices, but for £900 with little use it’s hard to turn down with those specs.

Thoughts or user experience (even if a different Sequoia or AWOL)? Also interested on opinion on SS or going for gears (I am a newbie, no experience of bike maintenance but love a YouTube tutorial and getting my hands dirty). I want my purchase to be future proof, hence thinking might as well go for Shimano 105 and hydraulics, rather than something like Sora or 105 + mechanical disc.

Thanks in advance.

tomhoward

I’ve the Sequoia in question, it’s very marvellous and imo a better proposition than the top model as it’s more versatile (more gears) and only a gram or 2 heavier.

You’ll get folk moaning about 105 hydro lever shape, but the flare of the bars put your hands in a much more ergonomically pleasing place, so it’s not an issue.

I did upgrade the standard seatpost to a carbon cobble gobbler, and it’s really nice, but can’t compare to the standard as I’ve never used it.

It’s nice to ride, feel is distinctly ‘steel’, not dissimilar from a nice rigid mtb (tyres help with this, they’re ace)

asile321
    Free Member

Hi tomhoward, thanks for the reply.

– Aside: I was momentarily distracted by realising I meant to say “Elite” rather than “Expert” and by my cringe-worthy typo of “it’s” over “its”. Nevermind!

That’s really helpful, thanks. Yes, the flared handlebars are one of things I noted from at least one of the reviews I read, and I liked the sound of them so it’s good to hear that they do work in practice. Certainly, for longer rides, it sounds like they could be a real bonus.
    The wheels look like they’re bombproof, too – the bike oozes practicality and I personally really like its overall look.

How have you found the sizing? I’m 5’7.5″ with no shoes (5’8″ with) with a 31″ inside leg, so the sizing chart looks to make the 54cm model suitable, which is the size on offer. In fact, on paper the geometry looks to be a bit better for me than the Croix de Fer since Genesis changed it a couple of years back.

robz400
    Free Member

Have you ridden a Genesis Croix de Fer??

I’m a Genesis fan having owned a high latitude but found the Genesis Croix de Fer very uninspiring to ride. Felt heavy and a bit dead…

I went for a Caadx and love it, use it for everything… it does have mechanical disc brakes which are appalling so at some point i’ll upgrade those…

robz400
    Free Member

Oh and i’m the same height as you. 54cm on the Croix de Fer felt good. Caadx i went with 51cm and its perfect.

tomhoward

TBH the wheels are the worst bit. Not awful, but wouldn’t cost a lot to upgrade to something a fair chunk lighter, more easily tubeless-able, better bearings etc but in the 8 or so months I’ve had them they are still true and have taken a fair few knocks.

Size wise, I’m 6’1″ and ride a 56 (ride a 58 on normal road bikes) and I find it more upright and comfortable as an all day bike, rather than the more stretched out position of a road bike

johnnystorm

My mate’s experience of a Sequoia:

Specialized Sequoia Elite

househusband
    singletrackmind

My LBs has a new CDF for £750 in their change of owner sale.
    Unsure which model but was £999

asile321
    Free Member

Hi robz400 – no, I’ve not ridden the Croix de Fer but not for a lack of trying! I started researching at the wrong/right time – wrong because the 2017 models were going out of the shops (right because I may have grabbed one with a decent discount).

I couldn’t find an Evans or LBS stocking it or the Day One (similar geometry) but the 90% über positive comments from owners I’d read on reviews, forums, Evans’ own pages etc. convinced me. But it’s interesting to hear your feedback (and thanks for the sizing comparison/feedback).

I really liked the CAADX, Arkose and Threshold, though. From what I’ve read, reviewers and users seem to prefer Shimano hydraulic disc brakes or the hybrid Tektro HY/RD as a compromise (SRAM being less common and splitting folks’ opinion), so I’ve tended to favour bikes with those hence why I’ve favoured something like the CdF or Specialized.

Without being able to find an LBS with the Genesis or Sequoia in stock, I’m unable to see whether they’re dull to ride but I’m happy to plump for comfort, which steel apparently brings, and practicality so I’m not bothered about weight. Doesn’t mean that won’t change, the more I start to use the bike, I suppose. However, more recently I’ve been used to a very old fold-up Dahon with the 3-gear Sturmey Archer wheel hub (for commuting), so it’ll be quite a change!

tomhoward

Where are you based? The concept store in Harrogate has a couple of Sequoias in stock.

asile321
    Free Member

Nowhere near Harrogate (unfortunately – it’s on my to-do list to visit!) – it’s a 2-hour trek to my nearest (each way) but I might contact them to see if they’ve a Sequoia in store for a test ride.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Sequoia Expert or Genesis Croix de Fer?’ is closed to new replies.