Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Specialized Riprock bikes for kids – why the suspension?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Just been sent this mailshot by Specialized and yes, the bikes look great fun but why on Earth did they waste money and add weight with the completely unnecessary suspension forks? Those fat tyres will give a cushioned ride and kids aren’t going to be bombing down hardcore stuff; most of the time they’re racing around the streets or along local footpaths and suburban trails.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/kids/riprock/riprock-24-int

martymac

fashion, they would be a hard sell at any price without them, after all, little johnny up the street has them. . .

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused. Are you saying you don’t need suspension if you have chunky tyres and that kids don’t ride off road?

ads678

To be fair, the suspension on those spesh’s, like on most kids bikes, is crap. I just don’t understand why companies like spesh, who should know a thing or two about bikes, don’t fit decent lightweight suspension.

nickjb
    Free Member

the suspension on those spesh’s, like on most kids bikes, is crap

How crap though? Obviously not Pikes or 888s but I bet they are better than my first forks (Manitou SX)

devash
    Free Member

I just don’t understand why companies like spesh, who should know a thing or two about bikes, don’t fit decent lightweight suspension.

Probably cost. I’d imagine that it would be hard to put out a kid’s bike with say custom 60mm travel Rebas or similar at that £400 price point.

Like others have said, if little Johnny down the road on his Asda special has suspension then regardless of quality or weight, other kids will want it too.

nemesis
    Free Member

I did loads of research on bikes for my son to find the best spec, weight, etc for the money.

In the end, he wanted an orange (the colour, not brand) one.

natrix
    Free Member

I’ll be sticking with Islabikes or similar………

lunge

fashion, they would be a hard sell at any price without them, after all, little johnny up the street has them

I suspect this is the real answer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Riprock bikes for kids – why the suspension?’ is closed to new replies.