Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Specialized Purgatory/Ground Control (and general UST questions)
  • m360
    Free Member

Looking to shift from Continental tyres having loved the Explorers for so many years. Main reason is that they don’t do a larger volume version otherwise I’d stick with them!

So I’m wanting something all-round for XC and trail centre use on a rigid 26″ bike. Looked at loads and narrowed it down to the Purgatory and Ground Control based on UST ready, weight, price etc.

The Specialized Purgatory seems an option in 2.3″ for the front (should give me more comfort with the rigid forks). Maybe with a Ground Control 2.1″ rear? How do they roll? I don’t want a heavy/draggy tyre as the ace up my sleeve on the rigid is acceleration and climbing! Does the GC work well on the rear?

I mostly ride XC and red/blue trail centre runs so need something that’ll cope with that all year without faffing. I appreciate in proper XC slop I’ll need mud tyres.

Also, how do you go about swapping tyres with tubeless? Do you bin the sealant, not bother, or what? Guessing it’s a messy job whatever, so probably just stick with one set-up for everything?

If anyone has a direct comparison form Conti Explores to the above tyres, on a hardtail or rigid, that would be great!

Cheers.

MartynS

I use purgatorys front and rear, all year round.

For my they are brilliant, I don’t find them draggy at all.
    As I just leave them on until they’re knackered I tend to find the sealant has solidified, if it hasn’t it’s just to messy to try to get out so I don’t bother

m360
    Free Member

Thanks Martyn, is your riding similar to mine (bridleways and trail centres)?

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s clearance for a 2.3″ in the rear, hence the 2.1″ option. Plus I do think I’d find that a bit weighty compared to what I am used to.

jamj1974

I found the 2bliss Purgatory Controls a little flexible in the sidewall for running tubeless at below 35psi. I am a bloated right now though… I understand the Grids have stiffer sidewalls which may be better.

martinhutch

GC is quite a fast tyre, perhaps slightly slower than a ralph, but not much.
    I found Purgs a bit draggy on the front, I’ve currently got a GC 2.3 paired up with a Conti Trail King at the front.

Certainly good for XC/trail centre type stuff.

MartynS

I ride in the Peak District so lots of rocks! very little trail centre stuff.
    It’s actually purgatory controls I’ve got. There at about 28-30 psi and they’re fine.

FOG

I have a GC 2.1 on the back which I have found very difficult to get to stay up tubeless. They also roll badly with low pressure so I won’t have another

jekkyl

I usually run purgatory front & back but this year for summer I’ve swapped to a fast trak control on the rear, listed on the packet for Xc and it’s thinner (2.1 I think) than the purgatory so might be right up your chainstay. I run bridleways & trail centres too & found it great. Smaller tread so isn’t too good in lots of mud.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m running a Purgatory on the rear (the lighter one, tubeless) and I love it. Generally riding steep, wet, rooty natural stuff but the odd trail centre. I used them on the trails around Kinlochleven too and expected them to be shredded but they held up fine. I don’t think I’d ever use it as a front but as a rear it rolls well, corners nicely, breaks away predictably. Highly recommend.

core

See this thread from a few days ago:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/specialized-tyres-5

One thing to point out – they’re not UST, they’re tubeless ready, so no UST bead, and you obviously need sealant and possibly rim strips/tape/valves to run them tubeless.

I don’t rate the control carcass for a front tyre, they’re just too flexy, I was running a 2.3 butcher on a mavic 521- could not stop it burping and almost folding right over without running 40psi plus. I am 15 stone, but also running 120mm forks.

Purgatory control on the rear is and has been great as it’s not subjected to such side loads.

You’d be better off with a grid version of whatever tread pattern you want on the front at lower pressure, tubeless, I’d say.

Yak

I run a ground control 2.3f / 2.1r both tubeless with control casings as my winter xc set – often on a rigid bike. 2.3 gives enough cush on the front. I think they are a good compromise of grip v speed and have enough tread to get though most stuff. They don’t clog much either.

V easy tubeless. Bung the stans in and pump. Easy to swap and I re-use the sealant too. Not messy – just pour it into an old plastic tub from the bottom of the tyre once you’ve popped the bead off.

I’m 10st btw

chakaping
    Free Member

Using a GC grid 2.3 on the rear of my HT at the moment.

It rolls fast and corners well enough. Haven’t holed it yet but I have burped it landing a drop to off-camber.

m360
    Free Member

Not sure I can find a Ground Control in the 2.3″ flavour (26″ wheel)? Unless I’m missing something?

Based on that and the above I reckon the 2.3 Purgatory Front and 2.1 GC Rear looks like a good option. Give me a chance to suss out the tyres over the summer decide which combination/tyre I prefer.

Thanks for the tubeless advice also. I have UST rims but will get sealant for them anyway.

orangeboy
    Free Member

My enduro has ground control control front and rear 2.1 rear and 2.3 front 26″
    Both at about 20- 25 psi works just nicely for me from local ride with loads of Tarmac and on a recent trip to Wales for coed y brenin and penmancho
    But I’m pretty light 60kg

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine is a 29er.

Should still be good if you can get the grid carcass.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Butcher control up front and purgatory grid on the rear. For the sake of 5 quid about 20g id go with the grid versions all day long.

qwerty
    Free Member

Isn’t a Conti Vertical the same tread as an Explorer, but in a 2.3″ size?

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20vertical.shtml

sharkattack

I use a pair of Purg 2.3 controls. Good enough everywhere that I don’t worry about chopping and changing. Ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape on the rim.

I ride them pretty hard as well on trail centres, jumps and DH tracks. I think they’re the lightest, fastest tyre I could get away with.

m360
    Free Member

Just to update (and say thanks for the above) having fitted Purgatory 2.3 Front and Ground Control 2.1 Rear, and now ran them in the dry and wet at Hamsterly (same runs, different days).

Easy to fit and holding air on Mavic UST rims with 90ml Stans in each.

Front is very grippy, sticks to everything and also “goes where you want it”. An odd statement, but I feel that if I end up off-line I can point this back and it just goes there (previous tyres would have bucked me off for my mistake). Also absorbs hits and drops very nicely and I can turn in harder and tighter than previously.

It does, however, feel very draggy. Even with 40psi in you can feel it dragging. Still grips well at that though. Dropped gradually to about 28psi and it does feel better for grip and hit absorption, but still draggy (oddly, not noticeably worse than 40psi though). So, not so sure about the weight or drag, VERY impressed with everything else I could throw at it.

Rear seems to grip very well during both days also. Doesn’t feel draggy with higher pressures (40 psi), however dropping to 28psi makes it feel noticeably draggy on the flats and sprints. At 40psi it spins out a bit too much on technical climbs, and bounces the crap out of me on rough descents. Dropped to 28psi and still found it hard on rougher descents, but it climbed lots better on technical ascents. However, it was noticeably more draggy.

So, happy with out and out grip from both. Not so sure about drag (coming from light weight Continental XC tyres these are a noticeably more extreme). Still playing with pressures. Remember, I am riding a Ti rigid bike.

However, I have ridden more difficult lines, in wet conditions, with more confidence than ever before 8) I expect I’ll be keeping these tyres for regular trail centre bashing and perhaps getting something more XC race biased for XC/longer days

PJM1974
    Free Member

Whatever Spesh tyres you go for, it’s well worth seeking out the Grid carcass for a rear tyre, particularly if the local terrain is rocky/flinty.

Last summer, I ended up spending well over £90 on tyres in the space of three weeks, thanks to a number of flinty sidewall tears. I swapped the rear (Purgatory) to a Grid and I haven’t had an issue since. The stronger carcass means that the back end of the bike doesn’t feel anywhere like as wallowy in the corners as it did with the Control Purgatory fitted.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Purg Grid front and Ground Control Grid rear for the past year, riding loose rocky trails in northern Italy and they’ve been fantastic. Not too draggy or heavy and loads of grip.

I’ll be switching the Purg to the rear and buying a Butcher Grid for the front when I move back to the UK in September though. I find that the Purg can wash out quite easily on wet roots / mud.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Purgatory/Ground Control (and general UST questions)’ is closed to new replies.