Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Specialized Purgatory 2.3 on XC717 – all gravy?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Any issues with the above combo?

Mavic’s site says up to 2.3 but as always tyre sizing is as accurate as giving a donkey an assault rifle.

iainc

mine are grand on 719’s, which aren’t that much wider

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah, 2mm isn’t much – anyone else?

Tim
    Free Member

2.4″ Nobby Nics were horrible on 717’s

IF Spesh 2.3 are BIG 2.3’s then might be a bit weird

Dickyboy

2.35″ nobby nics were horrible on SLX rims but much improved on Mavic 321’s

I have that combo, using tubes though. It’s fine at higher (40psi) pressure. A bit rolly at lower.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I use a 2.3 purgatory on a Mavic 719 and personally that combo is aweful.
    I am running tubeless, not tried it with a tube.

I get so much tyre roll, I have to pump it up rock hard to stop it.

It’s that bad I have new wheels on order and I’m ditching the Mavics.

iainc

I use a 2.3 purgatory on a Mavic 719 and personally that combo is aweful.
    I am running tubeless, not tried it with a tube.

mine have tubes are are spot on, running at about 36 psi on a Soul. Horses for courses I guess 🙂

MarkLG
    Free Member

The Purgatory’s are a big tyre – I’m running them on Eastons with a 23mm internal width and they’re cracking. I’ve had 719’s in the past running Maxis Ardent 2.25s and I’ve burped the air out of the front due to the tyre rolling sideways on the rim. I always felt the rims were on the narrow side for this sort of tyre. 717s are only going to be worse with a big tyre.
    Less of a problem if your running with tubes a fairly high pressure, but not ideal if you’re tubeless and use under 30psi.

scaredypants

better off with a Butcher, for gravy

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Forget mavic rims they are naff. Even 321 or 521 are too narrow for decent width tyres. There is nothing more off putting than your tyres squirming when they should be gripping.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Forget mavic rims they are naff. Even 321 or 521 are too narrow for decent width tyres. There is nothing more off putting than your tyres squirming when they should be gripping.

I’ve come to the same conclusion. They haven’t even bothered to update their products to keep up with the competition.
    Simply renaming the rims with different numbers. Nice one Mavic.

I used to be a Mavic fan boy. I have got so many pairs of old Mavics in the shed.

I started off downhilling many years ago and I guess I loved Mavic for their D321 rim. Now that was a big bomb proof rim. I also had many D521’s but looking at those now they are also very narrow.

I’ve now moved on to Flows.

eshershore
    Free Member

be aware that most Specialized tires – both road and mountain – come up much larger in width / volume than given size

been using Specialized tires of all flavours for years, and found their Purgatory 2.3″ is actually a larger volume tire than Maxxis High Roller 2.5″

MarkLG
    Free Member

been using Specialized tires of all flavours for years, and found their Purgatory 2.3″ is actually a larger volume tire than Maxxis High Roller 2.5″

Older style Maxxis tyres are smaller than their quoted size. I’ve had High Rollers and Advantages which came up small. The newer Ardents were the only ones I had that came up to the quoted size. Just had a look at my Purgatorys and they measure bang on 2.3″. You’ll lose a bit of that width on a 17mm rim though….

chiefgrooveguru

be aware that most Specialized tires – both road and mountain – come up much larger in width / volume than given size

They’re not, they’re correct or slightly on the small side. But most MTB tyres have absolutely ludicrous sizes written on them compared to their actual measurements. My bike is currently wearing a Specialized Butcher 2.3 which comes in slightly under 2.3″ and a (famously huge) Rubber Queen 2.2 which is almost bang on 2.2″, on pretty wide Flow rims. Ze Germans have made a nice database of all this, reifenbreiten datenbank IIRC…

iainc

wonder what’s bigger a 2.3 Purgatory or a 2.25 Nobby Nic ?? Probs 2 of the most popular ‘allround tyres, along with Ardents, many of them on 719 rims..

plyphon
    Free Member

lol the donkey with assault rifle strikes, i see.

I currently have a 2.25 NN on the front and it’s fine on the xc717 as far as I can tell, I just don’t like it (its a performance too).

I just measured the NN and it comes up at 53mm, about 2″ on my 717. So .3″ smaller than a 2.3 Purg assuming the purg comes up at 2.3

iainc

Remember though that the Purgatory will come up a bit less than 2.3 on that rim. Have just measured mine on a 719 and its between 2.25 and 2.3

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Purgatory 2.3’s on 819’s, tubeless, 30 and 32 psi, never rolled them yet. And I’m a big bugger, as Iainc will testify!.

Great tyres.

iainc

Nobeer certainly likes his beer and chips, that’s for sure 🙂 . he is also rather nimble on his bike with the rolly tyres !

Northwind

I haven’t found a single mtb tyre that does tbh. Butcher Clutch Eskar, Fast Trak and Purg all within a bawhair of accurate, Chunder a little smaller, can’t remember the Captain which means it wasn’t anything interesting. One of the more accurate companies IME- they seem big because someone we’ve been tricked into thinking a 2.35 should measure 2.15 across and a 2.5 should measure 2.35 and a 2.7 should measure 2.5.

Haven’t used their road tyres though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

oh Iain, <swoon> I’ve never been called ‘nimble’ before! :mrgreen: 😳

iainc

LOL 🙂 must be the tyres !

iainc

My 2.25 Ardents are same size when on 719’s as 2.3 purgatory’s and 2.25 nobby nics. The ardents are best on trail centres, the purgatory’s best all round compromise and the nobby nics look nicest 🙂 I can’t tell which roll more or less…..

chris_db
    Free Member

Just go with the Flows; the EX is even wider / lower profile. My HD 2.35″ on the EX looks like an MX tyre.

Chris

iainc

If running tubes, mavic rims are easier..

plyphon
    Free Member

Did chris_db suggest I change my rims so i can fit new tyres? Haha

I think I’ll give them a go, can only be marginally bigger then my 2.25 NN at a push.

Now, what for the rear? Another purg or something faster?

jambon
    Free Member

Butcher Control 2.3 is a MUCH bigger tyre that a Nobby Nic 2.25, so I’m guessing a Purgatory will be too and rubbish on a narrow rim at a low pressure that a fat tyre deserves. Flow + Butcher 2.3 is my fave combo.

plyphon
    Free Member

Reckon if I popped to my LBS (where I was going to buy them anyway) they would let me stick one on before buying to have a look at the profile?

or is that a bit cheeky

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Purgatory 2.3 on XC717 – all gravy?’ is closed to new replies.