Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Specialized purgatory 2.2 for the wet season
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Well 80% of riding time in the Uk
    Anybody use these tubeless ?
    Week sidewalls?
    Overal opinions please

ska-49
    Free Member

I’ve used the 2bliss version tubeless on some arch EX rims. They’ve been fantastic! Loads of grip. Admittedly I haven’t yet run them this winter but they were great over our ‘summer’. No issues with sidewalls despite some rocky riding and landing at funny angles. They are wearing at a sensible rate too.

pedlad

Yes I’ve just put mine back on after the “dry” summer tyres.

I bought it as a front to do CyB last spring and really like it. Grippy and predictable and a good price for tubeless compared to some of the trendier tyres. No sidewall issues yet – heard some say that problem applies more-so to the lighter weight s-works ones/

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Same setup and opinion as ska-49, I swapped from Schwalbe NNs & RRs due to the fragility and price. I find they actually work better in the wet and but just ordered a pair of the new 2.3 version for a little more cush on the hardtail.

stumpy01

Yeah, use one on the front as my ‘all the time’ tyre. Can’t be doing with all this swapping tyres every 5 mins stuff.
    If the mud is really claggy, it won’t clear too well, but it works well.

Does seem to grip well in most conditions – I tend to keep the pressure at 30-35 psi.

I’ve got the S-Works version (came on the bike) and not had any problems with fragility, but you do hear quite regularly on hear of people having ripped sidewall issues with S-Works versions. Get the Control version if you can and are worried about durability.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Love them, and a bargain compared to maxxis – come up pretty big for a 2.2 – too big for the rear on my fuel ex 🙁

stufive
    Free Member

I use them upfront on both my bikes a great tyre i use them all year controll versions

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got them tubeless on my 29er, good tyre for autumn/winter/spring, not a full on mud tyre but unless you’re doing mayhem or it’s ilk then when is a ride ever 100% mud? I had Storm’s the winter before but they don’t work in the dry bits, purgatorys aren’t as good in kilometer after kilometer of hub deep mud, but much much better all round.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve been running one on the front of my FS for about a year now, with either a ‘The Captain’ in drier times or a Storm for the rest of the year.

Great all round tyre IMHO, better then NN’s to be honest.

Planning on getting one for the front of my 29’er soon.

dropseoi
    Free Member

Used em tubeless, all through the year, only just taken them off as they’d worn out. Some of the best tyres I’ve ever used. I’ve ridden lots of rocky/slatey trails on them, no problem with sidewalls. They did start to loose bits of tread eventually though.

Vortexracing

Looking to these as well, as I think a mud specfic tyre, ie the storm is a bit to specific for most trail riding.

The best bit appears to be that they all rave about how good these are in mud.
    such as this review

http://bikemagic.com/gear/reviews/specialized-purgatory-control-2bliss-tyre-review.html

smcicr
    Free Member

Hi – can someone post up the actual width of the 2.2 Purgatory control 2bliss please? Was waiting on the ‘improved’ 2013 version but M6TTF’s comment above has made me worry about them fitting!

Looking to run f&r on a Zesty fwiw.

Ta.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Strange as the bikemagic review suggests they’re an average size 2.2

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

They are not massive 2.2s, I wouldnt worry about clearance.

A PSA for anyone wanting a pair, 10% off at Freeborm so £54.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Good stuff, I’ve just ordered some 2.3’s and hopefully freeborn have them in stock.

enigmas
    Free Member

I’ve had a purgatory 2.2 up front for around 4 months now, brilliant grip in everything except claggy mud.

I did manage to slash the sidewall (control version) riding down a slate face but managed to bodge it back together with fishing wire and duct tape and it’s been fine since.

icarus
    Free Member

Got one on the front of my Solaris 29er with a Ground Control rear,seems like a great combo for the trails here in the East Mudlands.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

2.3’s available in 10 days time.

Vortexracing

Pick 2 x 2.2″ ones up yesterday cheap from buy-a bike. (I know the bloke who owns it) 😀

Already fitted tubeless on 355 rims, wnet on no prob and sealed first time with some stans milk in them.

looking fwd to trying them round Rivvy on Wed night.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Specialized purgatory 2.2 for the wet season’ is closed to new replies.