Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Specialized Pitch vs Chumba XCL My View
  • forge197
    Free Member

Specialized Pitch vs Chumba XCL

I did a fair bit or riding this weekend and thought it would be interesting to do this with a view to comparing two bikes , albeit at different trails (though I’ve ridden both at the 7 Stanes Trails). The two bikes are setup for me and have similar builds, RP23 rear Shock, Coil forks (Pitch Pike, Chumba Lyrik), same tyres High Rollers back and front, SLX brakes and Shimano Drive Train.

The weekend saw me ride trails at Kielder, Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree.

The main difference you initially feel is that the XCL feels stiffer and more taught at the back than the Pitch and this translates on the trial. The XCL is heavier than the Pitch which is slightly noticeable on the climbs especially as the legs get tired, it doesn’t notice early on, but it does later. (note to self to lose a few pounds of my own!!)

The XCL though with the stiffer rear end and therefore less flex is simply amazing through the twisty singletrack and railing the edges of berms with speed I've never achieved before. It's the first bike I've ridden that handles the same as the bikes seen in a mountain bike DVD (not red bull rampage!!). By that other bikes I’ve ridden have felt good but just don’t have the “extra” needed to push it harder and faster, lean over more in a berm the grip is tenacious.

The confidence and stability in the turns is staggering and because it's stiff and taught as soon as you can put any power down it translates to forward motion and not sucked up by the shock. The XCL switches through the tight singletrack like a hardtail and goes downhill with poise and composure giving totally reassurance and feedback as to what it's doing even over rocky strewn descents. A quick tug on the rear brake heading into a corner at speed and the bike reacts with a slight direction change but predictably so.

The Pitch handles nicely in the berms but does have a tendency to washout if pushed too hard and coming out and putting the power down early it doesn’t respond so well, as some of the power is soaked up by the suspension and not used to propel forwards, from a responsiveness perspective it’s not so nifty through the twist singletrack, it feels like a longer travel bike whereas the XCL didn’t.

Point the Pitch downhill it’s simply brilliant never had any issue hammering down a rocky descent it sucks it up with real ease and confidence, especially with the RP23 upgrade, I did find the standard X-Fusion shock to be a little lacking and easy to blow through the travel.

In the air the Pitch always felt ok but not elegant or smooth a slightly awkward machine in the air, flight on the XCL has the feeling of balance and give's confidence to push harder and faster it feels so natural with its wheels off the ground.

I like the Pitch and really enjoyed riding it, we've done some great trails and still importantly it is a heap of fun to ride, it has a much more relaxed chilled feel about it, but the XCL has opened my eyes to a new level of riding and I can't wait to get back on the trails next weekend, the speed and accuracy coupled with the way it handles in and out of corners, berms, downhill and twisty singletrack is something I’ve not experienced on any of the full suspension bikes I have owned.

Lionheart
    Free Member

A good read, and two bikes I have wondered about. thanks R

pitcherpro
    Free Member

A good read but would disagree about the pitch not being nifty through twisty singletrack .. i feel very comfortable on my pro and love the relaxed angles and how easy it is flicking it around and pumping it through the rough stuff … 😀

pitcherpro
    Free Member

oh and now i've looked at a chumba i might have to try one 😛

forge197
    Free Member

pitcherpro – not so nifty 😛 as apposed to not nifty 😉 the Pitch is an enjoyable bike to ride it still brings a grin on the trail.

I still have the Pitch though Mrs F is using it a bit now with a different seat of course 🙂

Worth trying a Chumba for sure.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Did you ride either of them on anything else? It's not all about singletrack trails and jumps you know. A good bike should also give you confidence on slower speed technical stuff, especially short steep techie descent lines outside your usual comfort zone.

forge197
    Free Member

The Ayatolla of rock n rolla – that is true, I would say though each of those trails contain a variety of terrains along the lines you mention, also I'd never been to Kielder so that was all entirely new and there were a few short sharp techie bits to try the bike on, I think overall across those three trail centres I got a very good balance of what the bikes can do.

These were not jumps like those that used to exist at the top of CwnCarn freeride area more in-trail jumps that are in most trail centres.

I am not a journo and am only commenting on my own views from the riding I have done and comparing the two bikes in the enironvments to which I ride.

Though if you want to arrange a ride to do some of the Yorkshire natural stuff and the trails your building that would be awesome and happy to review my thoughts 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Interesting but I have to say I'm not sure if trail centres are where the Pitch excels – there's nothing massively rocky or steep at any of those places. Would be interested to try a Chumba though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Grumm, Do you have a Pitch?

forge197
    Free Member

grumm – did I not say "Point the Pitch downhill it’s simply brilliant never had any issue hammering down a rocky descent it sucks it up with real ease and confidence" You infer it would be good in that situation which it is 🙂 and as a fellow owner you know that.

I open my offer to you as I did to The Ayatollah of rock n rolla if you have some trail to show then I'd love to come ride it.

grumm
    Free Member

Ayatollah yep.

forge197 aye I suppose you did. 🙂 Whereabouts are you? Lots of reasonable wide but quite rocky trails in the Lakes where the Pitch is fantastic for going silly fast and launching off drops etc.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Of course I am biased but I am confident the xcl would be just as good if not better than the pitch on rocky stuff, due to the VERY stiff frame, which tracks like no other bike In it's class IMO. The pitch is a fine bike at the price point, make no mistake though!

forge197
    Free Member

grumm – South West Scotland, I am happy to travel to trails and try new stuff out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Pitch vs Chumba XCL My View’ is closed to new replies.