Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Specialized Pitch Stout Rear Hub Service?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone know how?

After about 20 hours the non drive side bearing has siezed solid, and while I’d happily take it back and demand someone else sorts it, the shop is now 300 miles away and I’d rather just knock some decent SKF bearings in there.

Anyone any tips before I undo the grub screws and start hammering at it?

scruff
    Free Member

I couldnt work out what is holding on the freewheel on my bighit hub, seems to be two thingies which need a special tool.

SOAP
    Free Member

I asked the same question and got no answer from here or the tinternet 🙁
    Think they are ride them for a bit then upgrade to Hope hubs!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Weighed them last night actualy (striped the whole bike down and weighed everything as I was bored and have no internet or TV!) suprisingly not much heavier than pro2/flows, certainly not enough to justify binning them anyway.

Quite a usefull excercise actualy as found a few bits wearing out already and now know where the excess flab is for upgrades.

tomaso
    Free Member

The end caps on the axles come off with persuassion similar to Hope hubs, as do the outer bearings. I am stuck with the axle and freeub body flopping around in the hub and I can’t seem to get it out of the hub. Once I do I need to source a new freehub as mine is shagged. Bearings are straight forward enough.

Unfortunately Specialized do not share the same mentality that Hope do with home mechanics and believe that it is a shop job only and that there is no place home mechanics. Hence you’ll struggle to find spares other than standard bearings.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

naaa, the end caps are held on with grub screws, the rest may be similar to hope though

Will wait and see what Spesh say, then if they don’t play ball they can fix it at their expense, or failing that my now nearest LBS is a spesh dealer so might have to ask them to misplace some service instructions for me.

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh yeah I forgot abut the grub screws but after these are undone its the same wiggling to get them off as Hope ones.

If its under warranty I’d get it done by them. Mine last 8 months before they died, I don’t think thats a warranty thing as they’ve been through bogs, rivers and lakes without any maintenance…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

LBS came up trumps.

Undo grub screws and remove end caps.

Bash NDS axle through hub with rubber mallet untill the freehub bearing pops out, theres a little washer/spacer with it so dont lose it.

Bash from freehub side to remove non drive side bearing.

Freehub comes of with a 12mm allen key through the hub and a 10mm through the freehub and is a sealed unit.

Bearings are 1x 6000 2RS and 1x 6001 2RS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Pitch Stout Rear Hub Service?’ is closed to new replies.