Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Specialized Pitch bearing change cost?
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Hi,

finally think it’s time to change the bearings on my Pitch as I’ve been running the bike through the slop this winter.

Just wondering if it’s worth doing myself? I pretty much fettle most bits I can on my bike, but have no special tools for removing the bearings. Don’t mind spending a small amount on tools to get the job done, but as I won’t be doing it very ofter, don’t really want to splash out a load of money. I have seen this interesting little claw tool, but not sure how much they are or what they’re called? Bearing remove claw thing

Or do I send it to the LBS? If i do that how much will I be looking at?

Cheers

Rob

wiggles
    Free Member

£180-220 in a shop roughly

giddyrob
    Free Member

Really?

Can get the bearings for £25. Be worth a little tool to get the bearings out and do it myself…

robhughes
    Free Member

Do them your self.
    Kaesea for the bearings.
    link
    He,s got yours and the best bearings out there.
    If your nice to him he should sell you the tool for getting them out of the linkage.The rest you can get out with a some sockets and a threaded bar with some nuts and washers.
    You don’t need one of those pullers bud.

orangeboy
    Free Member

£120 in lbs

With a little time it’s fairly easy to do at home

survivor

I’ve done this a few times with my Pitch now and certainly recommend not going cheap on the bearings or you’ll be doing it again sooner than you’d want to.

I’ve been using mbbearings mid range set which is about £45-50 I think. They are full compliment(no cage, more bearings) which are best for pivots.

I use a blind bearing puller which I bought from superstar for about £70(an investment for me as I do all my own work and have a few FS bikes)

To put them back in I use a threaded bar with washers and if needed the old bearings as guides.(old bearings on top of new to push the them in) Be carefull with sockets as they arent really the right shape or size so may damage the seals or push to much on the inner race)

The rocker linkage connected to the shock has doubled up bearings so be carefull removing them and replacing them as they can easy go in wonky!!

The lower seat stay bearings have one bearing then a metal lip then another bearing. Don’t try to push them out one way. You have to remove them from each side.

Good luck 🙂

survivor

Oh and which ever bearings you chose, before installing them pry a few seals off to check if there is enough grease inside. If not whack some more in.

hainman
    Free Member

Roughly 200 quid to pull out and replace bearings,
    My LBS quoted me 20 odd quid to fit the ones i bout from
    Katec on my Giant Reign

Simon

Wow, £200! I’ll be doing my own when the time comes.

wiggles
    Free Member

£200 is based on £80 spesh bearing kit and £120 labour (3 hours)

orangeboy
    Free Member

£40 an hourif only lol must move to a better area

giddyrob
    Free Member

Hi guys,

thanks for the advice.

Sounds like it could be a home job then…

Good to hear someone with the same bike doing the job. Just wondering what the smallest bearing is in mm so I make sure whatever tool I get will fit the smallest size. Found one that goes down to 10mm, but not sure if that will be small enough, without taking the bike to bits.

Cheers

giddyrob
    Free Member

from reading this:

pitch manual

It seems the smallest is 10mm according to the bearing measurements, but be good if someone can confirm?

Cheers

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve not found a harder bike to do it on! They are not the easiest to do as the main rocker pivot bearings are a pair sat on a central seat. Also the shape of the rocker makes removal/refitting harder as it is not flat/square to the bearing seat. The wee pair in the Horst link are a pig too and have tiny 4mm Allen bolts.

You will save some shop labour if you strip the mechs wheels and brakes off the rear end and get all the bolts loose.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Well, that was the other thing…

I guess if I do some of the donkey work it’s going to be cheaper? Any idea how much?

grum
    Free Member

Cost me £40 plus the cost of a set of bearings from kaesae. The guy in the shop said it was a massive pain in the arse so I was very glad not to have tried it. Quite a few were seized and a real bigger to get out apparently. That’s maybe because I left it for so long though.

giddyrob
    Free Member

that sound ok…. as they have been in for years :/

To be honest, didn’t think I’d have the bike this long, but with all the new upgrades it has it’s like a new bike with the pitch frame… When running nicely is just awesome so not looking to put a 2/3k hole in my wallet at the mo…

Might ring around and see if I can get something like that cost if I strip it down… Being Brighton I’ll probably be lucky :/

Cheers

grum
    Free Member

I think that’s pretty cheap – got a tip on here about Spen Velo which luckily is quite near me. You could try my friend Adam at Rayment Cycles – no idea what they charge though.

Yeah I keep fancying a new bike but the Pitch is too good! Especially with the 36 Vans I have on there now.

windydave13
    Free Member

I did my 08 Enduro in summer which is very similar design.

Biggest problem was drive side main pivot that had collapsed completely. I had to use a blind puller and a lot of force to remove it.
    Horst ones were tricky but I just used a small drift and worked round. Came out easily enough. In the past I got the Specialized Concept Store in Chester to do the horst ones for about £30 excluding bearings.

Time and patience is the key.

Dave

giddyrob
    Free Member

Yeah, 40 brick sounds good to me. Just living in Brighton I know how pricey things can be… Especially compared to my old haunt Yorkshire (born n bread).

Would be something I fancy doing myself, just hate it when bits get stuck and you need a silly expensive tool you’ll use like once, to get it out. Think the a bearing puller tool sounds like it might get used quite a lot as I have quite a lot of hope stuff on there, which I’ll need to change bearings with so an investment 🙂

Much appreciate the input though guys… Wonder if it might be worth trying and if i get stuck suck it up at the lbs… LOL Don’t like having the bike out of commission and managed to break my ankle trying to ride the hardtail in the downs on the slippy chalk…. Gives ice a run for its money… :/

tomaso
    Free Member

It is easy enough but it can be a frustrating battle if they are reluctant to come out

nick1962
    Free Member

As above take your time. Keep the frame schematic handy at all times,catch all the washers and remember to put them back in the right place and the right way round.Did my Stumpjumper recently and you really need a blind bearing puller,especially for the chainstay/seatstay rear pivots, e bay kits are about £25.Take care when removing all the bolts because if you round any you’ll need to but a whole set and they’re not cheap so if any bolts are stuck, lubricate and leave awhile!One of the bearing races was stuck on the main pivot bolt and I could not get it off,fortunately a neighbour works at an engineering firm and got it off for me but the bolt only just survived.Oh and if you’re like me you’ll probably mash one of the bearings putting them back in so I just bought a single one off ebay to replace it.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

We charge £110 for Spesh bikes including bearings at £70.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Job done!

What a bitch to get those old bearings out….. the puller I bough was a waste of time… Had to hammer them out :/

Getting it back together was fun with those little spacers not wanting to line up.

As you guys said I took my time and now the bike is all buttery and no more creaks and groans….

Bet that would have cost me a pretty penny at the lbs as it was a pig!

Ta

Rob

chrisclarke
    Free Member

Just had my Camber done, bought Kytec for about £45 got LBS to fit for £40, glad they done it as all were seized. Might pay to shop about.

bantasanta
    Free Member

My Pitch’s bearing change cost £100 in total. Not too bad considering.

giddyrob
    Free Member

I live in Brighton…. no such thing as a cheap lbs 😉

Happy to do it myself though… 🙂 Just wouldn’t fancy having to do that job all the time :/

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Pitch bearing change cost?’ is closed to new replies.