Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Specialized Levo Turbo issues
  • I’ve had two problems with it lately.
    Firstly the battery indicator lights started going out permamently although the bike was performing OK
    Then a few days later the motor started cutting out. Initially for a few minutes, then died completely.
    Shop gave me a new battery which is great. Now after three faultless rides, the motor has cut out again (they had replaced the motor wiring harness and speed sensor).
    Before I go back to the shop again, has anyone else had this issue?

toons
    Free Member

morning, have you had any more issues since they replaced the parts?

Yes. The bike has had a new motor, new battery, and two new wiring/ sensor systems.
    Bike works until the lights show 4 out of 10 and it starts cutting out even on the flat.
    It also cuts out on very steep climbs even with a full charge. Having 50lb of bike then trying to drag you back down the hill is not a good experience.
    Then there’s the odd experience of random three second bursts of acceleration without pedalling. Strange indeed.

To be fair to Spesh, they are trying to sort the issue. Back to the shop for one last fix (firmware update) otherwise I’ll be getting a new replacement.

tomhoward

Had mine a year, zero issues to report.

Have you had the latest motor update? (released a couple of weeks ago iirc)

Probably not as the motor was installed in Feb.
    Shop has all the kit to do updates so we’ll see.

Bought the bike back in August and has been OK until all these problems started happening at once.

bennyb
    Free Member

I’ve have / had an issue of the motor oddly lurching forward after it’s been pedalled (like you mentioned for roughly 3 sec) and then on my last outing it just wouldn’t work. Battery fully charged etc. At the shop it wouldn’t recognise there main computer for analysis, so there sending it to Spesh. God knows, as it previously showed no signs of any faults. Hopefully it’ll get sorted soon :/

The shop (and the local rep who happened to be there at the time) were trying to believe I was the only rider in the UK to have these issues. Now I hear a local rider has had a new motor fitted to his, makes me think mine’s not just a Friday bike.

toons
    Free Member

If you have a look on the internet; there are quite a few people having motor issues.

I’ve experienced the lurching twice; I’ve had my Levo for almost a year.

Specialized released a battery firmware to fix “Bike works until the lights
    show 4 out of 10″

My motor cut out for 30 seconds on my last two rides. I’ve got it booked in for the motor firmware.

Lester
    Free Member

hasnt happened to me yet
    i saw on an american site that the motor firmware upgrade is mandatory, but the battery update isnt.
    the firmware update came out in March? but i bought mine after the firmware came out, if this was a known problem, the Specialized should have told all their dealers. my spesh shop wasnt clued up at all on the levo, its due to go back for its 6 weeks check up, i will ask them about the firmware update.

Update – got a brand new replacement delivered by the shop this morning.

They tried to update the firmware on the motor but their programming kit wouldn’t play ball.

Fair play to the dealer and Spesh for sorting things out.

rthomas17
    Free Member

Thread Hijack….I’ve just ordered a Levo HT – picking it up next week hopefully. Couple of questions to the owners on this thread…
    Do you have any tips for charging / charging cycles? do you let it drain down, or do you just plug it in at the end of every ride and get it back to 100%?
    Have you gone tubeless?
    Have you found the perfect settings for battery / motor, or do you play around with settings each ride?

Do you have any tips for charging / charging cycles? do you let it drain down, or do you just plug it in at the end of every ride and get it back to 100%?

Charge after each ride. No memory effect on these batteries.

Have you gone tubeless?

Yes, but the Purgatory tyres are hopeless in mud.

Have you found the perfect settings for battery / motor, or do you play around with settings each ride?

50/70/100%
    Motor current 100%
    Acceleration 50%

tomhoward

I tend to let the battery run down, not though any desire to prolong the battery life though, more forgetfulness at the end of a ride. I always check it the night before though, and if it’s less than 50%, I’ll stick it on charge.

Gone tubeless, but the control carcass tyres are a bit flimsy, so need checking regularly, or upgrading (as I’m about to do)

30/50/100
    Everything set to max, never had an issue with battery life. I tend to leave it in 50% mode, then 100% on fire road climbs/road.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Levo Turbo issues’ is closed to new replies.