Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Specialized Hotrock 16 vs Islabike Cnoc 16
  • honourablegeorge

Have a 5th birthday coming up – he’s on a 14″ bike that one of the neighbours gave him, which is fine, but his problem is braking – even with new small-hand-specific levers fitted for him, his hands are just too small for them.

Was originally planning to get him the Cnoc 16, but tempted by the Hotrock’s coaster brake, as it might be easier for him to manage, until he’s strong enough to move to proper brakes. And it’s available in red, which is VERY important. On the other hand, it kind of feels like something of a backward step to go for a coaster brake, he SHOULD learn to brake properly, etc.

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/16773/SPECIALIZED-HOTROCK-16-INCH-BOYS-RED-2013/

http://islabikes.com/bike_pages/cnoc16.html

Anyone got a little one on a Hotrock? Good/bad? Did they progress to proper brakes without a problem?

akira

I had the same dilemma, decided against the coaster brake in the end and went for early rider belter as thought the light weight and single rear brake would be more manageable. Boys seem to be getting the hang of the brake as long as you remind them to use it!

toys19
    Free Member

Had a hotrock, coaster brake lead to confusion and is just a safety feature as the front brake sucks. It’s also a pain inthe ass as they cannot set the pedal to pull away. My daughter sussed this quickly and got v pissed off with the coaster.

Replaced with an islabike which was a revalation to my daughter, she can set her pedals perfectly. She can feather her brakes, or even lock up both wheels with one finger. Its an actual bike designed for little people. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

toppers3933
    Free Member

my nephew hated the coaster brake so much he never wanted to ride the bike. got him one without and we could barely keep him off it.

honourablegeorge

toys19 – Member

It’s also a pain inthe ass as they cannot set the pedal to pull away.

I hadn’t thought of that…. right, decision made then. Thanks folks, appreciate the advice. (Not often everyone agrees on here either, is this a first?)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Islabikes etc have brakes specifically designed for small hands. My lad is comfortable with the brakes on his Cnoc 14, and they’re powerful enough to stop me on it!

check out Frogbikes.com for a cheaper alternative to Islabikes. Roughly similar spec for less money, although the frames seems to be bigger, for the equivalent model.

Persoanlly, I’d avoid coaster brakes.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cnoc 16 user here (well not me exactly..) and it’s great. My girl loves it.

Steelsreal

Had both the hotrock is a strange size, quite long and low, my daughter never really clicked with it and other than finding the coaster hilarious whilst I was towing her on a trailgator it wasn’t for us.

Now got a cnoc 16 and it just fits better has neat little levers she can reach and pull on (th hotrocks has a caliper brake which is hard to apply for little hands) ..

Plus on selling hotrock lost about 50%, on selling Cnoc i don’t think i’ll lose much at all (bought second hand)

davosaurusrex

Got a hotrock 16, don’t think my nearly 5 year old girl has even noticed it has a coaster. She has really enjoyed learning to ride on it but has nearly outgrown it now. Would like a beinin 20 to replace it but as said they do hold their money

honourablegeorge

Dammit Dave, we were almost unanimous here.

davosaurusrex

Soz, but it wouldn’t be STW if we were. I don’t doubt the Islabike is better but I paid £65 for the hotrock, I really don’t want her first geared bike to have a pointless suspension fork though which rules out the bigger Specialized. It would have been quicker to type Spesh instead of Specialized but for some reason calling a Specialized a Spesh really annoys me. I wouldn’t have a Specialized myself for that reason alone. Although I did used to have a Stumpjumper FSR. I did not, however, ever refer to it as “my Spesh”. Oh look! A squirrel!

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

When my lad was five I took him around Llandegla blue on a hotrock he lost his footing on the pedals on a slight downward slope and as he was used to using the coaster brake he couldn’t stop and had a little crash. He was fine but it was a little fright for him. So my advise would be to make sure they’re used to the normal brake lever also!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have you had a look at Frog bikes? I put a few together and was well impressed for the price. 🙂

sugdenr
    Free Member

My daughter just graduated from a cnoc 16 with coaster, pedal setting was a minor irritation, and the coaster turned out to be hugely more sensible for a 4 yr old with little hands. The idea that you need to force your 4 yr old to use a ‘proper’ rear brake or they’ll be screwed for life really is a first world figment of adult imagination. Islas have such a good front brake that you dont actually need a rear anyway, and 2 rides on a hotrock 20 which is techically a wheel size too big for her and I can report she has adapted instantly to pedal setting and braking with the best on the steepest bit of the new trails in swinley.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Hotrock 16 vs Islabike Cnoc 16’ is closed to new replies.