Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Specialized Gloves – Radiant or SubZero?
  • sadexpunk

think ive had enough of p*ssing around trying different gloves cos theyre 'a bit cheaper', and none being warm enough. so im thinking id just be better off paying top glove wedge and buying top gloves 🙂

specialized seem to fit the bill, but im just a bit confused about the gauntlet type.

ive read the reviews, descriptions etc, but it didnt help that some places seemed to use the same description for both! so whats the difference?

they both LOOK the same. am i right in thinking the subzero have a removable inner glove too? that appeals, but then a review said that it can pull the inner 'lining' inside out when you remove them. this is one of my pet dislikes about gloves. sweaty hands, take gloves off, pull the insides out at same time, take ages putting them back on 🙁

so whats different about the radiants? just one glove, but just as warm? do the insides pull out on removing them?

also, have either of them got velcro 'cinches' around the gauntlet bit? thats something else i dont get on with. big wide gauntlets that dont fit inside your jacket sleeve, so water runs off the sleeve down into them. thats why i sold my old 661 gauntlets, which were nice and warm 🙁

also, are either of them waterproof? either of them worse than the other in rain, ie become a big heavy sponge?

just to confuse matters more, a review said the deflects were better. but i dont think theyre listed as being as warm, which is what i want really.

thanks for any help 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

Radiant are very nice but VERY warm. Just one glove, inside seems fairly well fixed in place. Got a wee pocket on the back for one of those little hand warmer things in extreme cold. Very happy with mine but they don't come out until it's proper cold. Just too warm most of the time. Deflects superb down to about -4.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've got the sub zeros and they are a great glove. They are a two part system – a fleecy glove and a windproof gauntlet. Never had an issue with the inner coming out of the gauntlet. Yes they do have cuff cinches. They aren't waterproof though and with all those seams I don't think you'll find many gloves that are.

I tried on the radiant yesterday – looks a good glove. Again it has cuff cinches. Feels like the inner may come out when you take them off though as the finger tips aren't stitched in.

For waterproofing I'm thinking of buying a pair of extremities tuff bag paclite mitts which will be fine on the road but don't think they would be so good off road.

sadexpunk

ah right. so the fingers arent stitched in on the radiants, but are on subzeros? that might clinch it for me 🙂

both as warm as each other would you say?

andy, i doubt whether my crap circulation would find deflects fine in -4 🙂

thanks

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well I only tried them on in the shop so not 100% sure if stitched in or not, I'd need to get sweaty for a proper test. The sub zeros are different as they're not a tight fit like the radiants and as the outer isn't next to your skin then the inners pulling out isn't an issue. The radiants do feel bulkier though.

Not sure on the warmth, the good thing about the sub zeros is if its really cold you can wear and extra layer under the inner and on Mondays -3 commute I just wore a merino glove liner and the fleecy inner.

But if someone can confirm that the radiants are waterproof then that would sway things a lot.

AndyP I'm disappointed in you, I thought you'de be riding through winter in fingerless mitts. :;)

sadexpunk

its looking like subzero all the way!!

inners not pulling out? tick
    looser fit for a liner too? tick 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure the inners are stitched in on the radiants, wore them a lot last winter and got proper sweaty, never a problem with the inner budging. But yes, they are incredibly bulky!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Are the radiants waterproof at all Andy?

AndyP
    Free Member

I'm not sure if the material is waterproof…my hands stayed dry, put it that way – but that could be just because there's so much glove for the water to get through 😉

Edit: quick google suggests they are actually waterproof. at least Specialized claim it anyway.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It also says that about the subzeros Andy and in real world 'pishing it down for an hour' testing they just get soggy and you end up with cold hands. The radiants sound better from a waterproof perspective.

sadexpunk

hmmm im thinking i need 2 pairs of gloves now 🙂

i defo need some for wintry days as i always get cold hands and feet. so subzero looking favourite there.

im also thinking that you dont usually get freezing winter days with p*ssing down rain. its usually a bit milder for that and id not be wanting to go out riding then anyway. so waterproof gloves for commuting really. and thinking about it, ive got some lighter altura pilot gloves that say theyre waterproof which will do for that.

so……….looking like subzero i reckon 🙂

Trekster

Tend to get my gloves from TKmaxx

Gary_M
    Free Member

so waterproof gloves for commuting really

Let me know if you find any that actually keep heavy rain out for any length of time. The sub zeros are soaking after anout 10 miles into my commute if it's really heavy. If you're commute is shorter then they should hold out.

sadexpunk

yeah, ive only got about 3 mile commute. and i cant remember ever having been caught in a huge downpour while commuting either, so cant really comment on how waterproof they are.

ive also got some sealskinz waterproof gloves, but theyre a bit small for me. if you got small/medium hands, youre welcome to try them?

lyons
    Free Member

i cant remember which mine are, but i have the bulky ones with silver detailing. They are great, even on the coldest days they kept my hands warm, as long as i had a pair of thin liner gloves as well. MY circulation is crap too, and witout them i wouldnt have been able to ride anywhere near as much… My hands didnt get wet at all either, i tested them by submerginf them inw water, just up to the cuffs, and they stayed dry

simon_g

I also have Deflects and Radiants (the latter were a present). The Radiants are way too hot for most of the time while the Deflects are perfect for this time of year, and if it's not a long ride they're fine even below freezing. Last use for the Radiants was in the snow!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer sadexpunk, but I have larg manly hands.

The sub zeros will hold off the rain for 3 miles.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

I have some radiants – good for cold weather, they're waterproof and pretty breathable. The cuffs do have velcro but it's pretty slimline and fits nicely under my jacket. Bit bulky but not too bad considering how warm they are – i use them for commute and mtb dutys all winter.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i've both…
    sub zeros – 2 parts – liner and outer, not attached at all – put inner on, then put outer on. outer is windproof, but not w/proof to any extent ime. more space in glove

radiant – one glove, no issues with inner pulling out of fingers (a pet hate of mine too). pretty waterproof and warm. the cuff fits under sleeve well ime. more bulky.

i get cold hands, and often use the radiant with the sub zero inner in the real cold weather. radian tends to be good on its own. sometimes if i'm in the sub zeros and i get too warm you can get away with just using the outer as a glove.

i tend to use my radiants more tbh. but both are great gloves.

Gary_M
    Free Member

When people say 'good in cold weather' then what sort of temperatures are you talking about. Cold temps for me is below zero. Would be good to have a reference point. My hands were warm with the sub sero inner and a merino liner on Mondays commute with a temp of -3, the outer would only be required around -5 and below.

sadexpunk

think it varies between different people tbh.

plenty of people get along fine with autumnish gloves in subzero temperatures, but im the opposite. sh*t circulation means i sometimes have cold hands and feet in the house!! with the heating on 🙂

so i need the WARMEST gloves possible 🙂

but i still cant choose between these bloody specialized gloves! think i really need to see some in the flesh to try for fit, and interchangeability of inners and liners etc, but theres no dealers near me i dont think (lincoln)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh thats true sadexpunk and it doesn't really help you. I can only confirm that my hands were warm at a temp of -10 last year with the sub zeros and I do get cold hands.

sadexpunk

well i think im just about to test the 'waterproofness' of my Pilots for the first time! *gulp*

not looking to good out there for my commute home. flash flood warning too :-/

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have pilots they are waterproof – mines are old though – a throwback from my paperround days !

FuzzyWuzzy

Until it gets below freezing I find Sealskinz technical MTB gloves are warm enough. Below freezing though and I switch to Spesh Sub-Zeros, they're noticeably bulkier though and I've never ridden with just the inner so for me at least it's more of a gimmick rather than making it two useful gloves in one. Haven't worn them since last winter but don't remember ever getting cold hands when using them and I did a few wet rides to.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Gloves – Radiant or SubZero?’ is closed to new replies.