Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Specialized FSR XC – Longer travel?
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

Has anyone swapped out the forks on their Specialized FSR XC (2007 if that matters) for some with a bit more travel? Does it ‘work’?

tinsy
    Free Member

I did to an 04 stumpjumper that was 100mm travel like your FSR, I liked it running 120mm forks, but you might want to look for some with a lockdown feature to help climbing..

(I seem to say this every 2 days)

shinsplints

You definately said it yesterday to me Tinsy..LOL

soobalias
    Free Member

took an 05 fsr xc pro, upped the forks to 130mm (minutes)
    then got a new link plate from betd, which upped the rear travel to 130mm – this upped the shock ratio a bit, but im only light and the fox triad copes beautifully.
    then swapped the forks again for some zocchi’s 130-150, which for the most part i run now at 140mm
    result is that the overall steering is now a little slacker than stock, and the BB is a bit higher, but thats perfect, while it felt ‘planted’& ‘stable’ etc, originally, i did get the odd pedal strike on the rough stuff if i didnt pay attention.

been like that for 18mths now

Harry_the_Spider

Got a pic of your pumped up FSR?

tinsy
    Free Member

I hope it didnt sound like I was being a knob then, I only meant upping the forks seems to be quite a popular topic these days, it seems a new breed of bikes are coming manufactured like it too…

North84
    Free Member

tinsy give some examples of thease new breed of bikes please mate.. looking for a new bike 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Orange Blood… 160mm forks, 127mm rear travel…

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bikes/bike.php?model_id=116

North84
    Free Member

ta mate

shinsplints

Nah it’s cool Tinsy dunna worry mate 😀
    I have some U Turn Recons going on my Trance later on – they have 80mm/100mm/115mm & 130mm adjustments so should be all the travel I will ever need.Will run them at 115mm most of the time but can wind them out for trips to Wales & what not 8)

Harry_the_Spider

Wow. Looks a bit different to the unpumped version.

glenp
    Free Member

I’m mystified with the current fad for “slack angled” bikes – seems it is all bloody MBR can ever say. What exactly is wrong with a bike that turns eagerly when you want it to? If stock steering is too lively for you I’d suggest that you give your riding some attention before screwing the handling of your bike with longer forks. Or am I wrong?

Having the option to very occasionally add an extra inch to the front I suppose I can see the benefit of, but for most riding most of the time the geometry that the bike designer built-in would be my first choice.

Must admit I did once put 100mm forks on my old Explosif – but that was because I couldn’t cheaply get 80mm. I didn’t care for the results – very vague steering, esp going uphill.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Done the same as soobalias. 130mm both ends using a BETD rocker and a set of Z1 FR SL forks. Like he said, higher BB, slightly slacker front end. Works for me.

Considering what to do with it now, as I have a Nomad, so don’t need the extra travel on the FSR. Might revert it to 100mm and sell it. Handy as a spare bike though.

soobalias
    Free Member

glenp, to look at it another way if you cant steer or ride uphills with a fraction of a degree slacker head angle perhaps you need to revisit your riding skills

for me its the confidence/control descending at speed – i dont struggle climbing

small variations make bugger all difference in reality, if i drop the rear back to 100mm and open out the fork to 150mm it feels like a chopper and you really have to concentrate to climb on it

glenp
    Free Member

soobalias – didn’t say I couldn’t ride it like that, only that I didn’t like it like that.

Confidence and control descending at speed is very much helped by holding your head and body correctly, having good footwork, looking down the trail properly, etc – the instinct to go out and change equipment to rectify lack of confidence and control is often a mistake.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Sod that – spend your way through your own personal issues. Works for me!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Specialized FSR XC – Longer travel?’ is closed to new replies.