• This topic has 36 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Xan.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Specialized FSR XC Comp
  • Xan
    Free Member

Has anyone got one of these. Just bought it and having problems with the front shocks. According to Rock Shox website the 302SL that I have should have a single air valve. Checked everywhere and cant see one. My mates is under the top left hand dial on the same fork on a cannondale but I don’t have one. Does anyone know if these are only coil shocks on the Spesh??

Only used bike once off road and seams as if the front shock has very little travel (although spec quotes 120mm) and on fast, type one tracks my arms are stinging by the bottom of the run.

Cheers

Paul

sing1etrack

They’re coils according to this:

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/moreinfo.php?variation=1459&sale=0

If you’ve got a large or xl it’s the stiff spring which might be your problem.

Xan
    Free Member

Yeah its a large, that would explain it. Is there anything that I can do apart from buy a new shock?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sing1etrack

You can buy a softer spring – TF Tuned do them. Don’t ask me how to do the actual replacing though!

grumm
    Free Member

Just buy a new medium spring for the fork.

Xan
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll look into this. Thanks for your help.

BoardinBob

I’m having similar problems with my brand new FSR XC Comp. The most I can get get out the forks is 100mm vs a supposed 120mm. I appreciate they’re not the most sophisticated of forks but you’d expect better. The other problem I’ve noticed is they don’t full extend after they’ve been compressed. I have to give them a tiny pump up and down to get them to extend the last 10-20mm.

My bike is a large and I know that comes with the stiff spring in the forks but at 6 foot and 200lbs it shouldn’t be too stiff for me. Other reports on the 302 SL are favourable so I’m wondering if it’s a bad batch or something???

Xan
    Free Member

Thats the exact same issue as I am having. Can anyone help.

Xan
    Free Member

New medium shock ordered. Get it next week so will let you know if it helps. Ordered from Dales for £21

BoardinBob

Ooh interesting. I take it your in Glasgow then. Let me know how you get on.

Xan
    Free Member

Sure am. Will do. spoke to afew people and seem to think this will sort the issue. I am hoping it does, did Carron Valley on it at the weekend and by the time I got to the bottom of the run way my arms were stinging. I only weigh about 11.5 stone so thik I am a bit light for the stiff spring. If this doesn’t help might be in the market for a new front shock!!

If you are in the area and I think it works happy for you to come check the new pring in my bike to see if that would help you.

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm do dales do pike springs too? That seems much cheaper than tftuned – can’t see em on dales website. Will try ringing em at some point.

Xan
    Free Member

I just phoned them. Think they should be able to help you.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one ta – will give them a bell

BoardinBob

If you are in the area and I think it works happy for you to come check the new pring in my bike to see if that would help you.

That would be great, I’ll give you a shot.

Incidentally, do you find the stem a bit too long? 110mm and it feels far too long for me.

Xan
    Free Member

I actually like it like that. Feel really comfortable on the bike with the exceptions of the stiffness of the front shocks.

shinsplints

Are they 302 solo air forks ? – if so the cap for the valve is on the left hand fork leg top.Sorry if this sounds insulting,I dont mean it to be,its just it took me a couple of mins to find mine,as on rebas etc the valve is on the bottom.If they are diving through the travel & they are air forks then they just need pumping up.Again,sorry if you have already tried these things.

BoardinBob

No, they’re coil forks

shinsplints

Totally ignore me then 😳

soobalias
    Free Member

if i just bought a brand new bike and the forks had the wrong spring in for my weight/riding i would expect the bike shop to swap it for the correct one.

snap for the stem length.

100mm out of 120mm – doesnt surprise me, rarely does any fork get full travel, particularly ‘lesser’ models, nah offence.

failing to rebound, could be just new, might ease up over a few rides – but as above, talk to the shop you got the bike from – if it is actually a problem with the fork you want to report it as soon as possible, but spesh do have a good rep re warrenty.

Xan
    Free Member

You know your the second person that has said that to me. I’ll give it a try, but as you said with a lower spec bike you arfe paying for a set spec, not a full custom.

If this doesn’t work I’ll look at buying a good set of second hand forks. Bought this bike as the frame is really good and the componants not bad. I realise I will need to upgrade parts as the break or as I get better (only been mountain biking for 8 months)

Hoped to get a year out them, even though I know they wern’t that good, might just need to dig deep and buy upgraded ones earlier than expected.

BoardinBob

if i just bought a brand new bike and the forks had the wrong spring in for my weight/riding i would expect the bike shop to swap it for the correct one.

snap for the stem length.

100mm out of 120mm – doesnt surprise me, rarely does any fork get full travel, particularly ‘lesser’ models, nah offence.

failing to rebound, could be just new, might ease up over a few rides – but as above, talk to the shop you got the bike from – if it is actually a problem with the fork you want to report it as soon as possible, but spesh do have a good rep re warrenty.

Purchased on C2W through Halfords and the bike came via Leisure Lakes

BoardinBob

FAO Xan

Did you get the softer spring fitted yet?

Xan
    Free Member

Stuff arrived in Dales today. Hoping to collect and fit tomorrow, so I’ll let you know how things are.

BoardinBob

Good man

Xan
    Free Member

whats your email address and I’ll drop you a mail and arrange to meet up and let you see what you think of the difference. Where abouts in Glasgow are you?

mines is Paulxan@hotmail.co.uk

BoardinBob

I’m in the southside

Drop me an email at Bob.Millar @ cigna.com (take out the spaces either side of the “@”)

BoardinBob

Xan, did my email come through?

My nazi firewall doesn’t always like hotmail addresses 🙁

Xan
    Free Member

Hi Bob, yeah got it last night thanks. Been really busy over teh weekend and heading to London with work tomorrow so think its going to be this weekend before I can let you know if it has helped. I’ll drop you a mail once it is done. Will also post on here incase there is anyone else looking for this info.

BoardinBob

Cheers mate.

Xan
    Free Member

Bob spring fitted and its making the world of good.

BoardinBob

Excellent news! How much did Dales charge for the spring?

Xan
    Free Member

21. fitted it myself was easy to do.

BoardinBob

Cool. Let me know how you get on with a proper ride this weekend.

Xan
    Free Member

Bob,

went a wee run yesterday over different types of ground and suspension seams to have improved with new spring. As said before happy for you to come and give it a try on my bike.

BoardinBob

I’ll drop you an email just now.

Xan
    Free Member

Did you get my email bob??

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Specialized FSR XC Comp’ is closed to new replies.