Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • Specialized frame Guarantee Fiasco, SHAME on you Specialized
  • nealglover
    Free Member

The text above is odd though as they describe it as a ‘frameset’ which to me would be main triangle, shock and swing arm as that is normally a frame set. For definition I guess you would have to see what they sell as a ‘frame set’. But you should also check the book/warranty that came with your exact bike as not all will be the same.

They specifically list the stays as not included in the lifetime frame warranty.

Your definition of what a “frameset” comprises of doesn’t really matter when the warranty is specific regarding what their definition is.

rone

5 years is a good run irrespective of warranty.

I’d move on and attribute the cost of £200 to keep your riding for the next 5 years – good value.

stufield
    Free Member

My Raleigh Strata I bought when I was 15, broke on the seat tube above the bottom bracket when I tried to jump a drainage ditch on dartmoor. it was 10 years old and raleigh replaced the frame, forks and headset + stem moved everything over to the new frame and charged me all of £6.

Now that was a warranty

Northwind

nealglover – Member

Your definition of what a “frameset” comprises of doesn’t really matter when the warranty is specific regarding what their definition is.

It is a bit unintuitive to be fair, I don’t think it’d ever cross my mind that the frame warranty isn’t for the entire frame. Thank god it’s not like that for hemlocks!

njee20
    Free Member

It is a bit unintuitive to be fair, I don’t think it’d ever cross my mind that the frame warranty isn’t for the entire frame.

Pretty standard though.

rwills2
    Free Member

I paid £200 for a replacement chainstay on a 2 year old camber in March. Took them 8 weeks to sort it as well. I tried to argue the price down but in the end just wanted my bike back so paid it.

I doubt they will budge. The warranty only covers front triangle for sure.

I also wrote a nice letter to head office and never got a reply…top service

ampthill

This limited warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle frame/frameset such as front forks (unless Specialized branded non-suspension forks forming part of the frameset), wheels, drivetrain, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components.

I don’t think on reading that I’d have thought seat stays and chain stays aren’t covered. Particularly as Specialized forks are covered

I think it could be clearer if they said

“On a suspension bike on the front triangle is covered by the life time frame warranty”

grum
    Free Member

LIMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS & SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT

Also subject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the suspension attachment points, and suspension related equipment (including pivot points, bushings, shock units, front suspension forks, stays, plates, fasteners) when new are free of defective materials or workmanship.

From the manual for my Pitch. My bold.

So that’s one year not five on mine. There is another paragraph where it explains the lifetime warranty.

stumpy01

This limited warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle

Blimey – dunno if this thing about paint is a recent thing, as they replaced my alloy FSR when the paint lacquer started peeling after about 6 months. I think it was a big problem with the FSR elite frames that year. They had no more replacements in stock so offered me the 2011 frame once it was out (a few months wait) or have the carbon upgrade (with Brain shock) for £50. I went for the carbon option.

I can see why the OP is peeved, but I don’t think he’s going to get anywhere.
    The bike industry warranty thing of ‘swingarm not included’ is a bit cak; bushes and bearings in the swingarm, yes, but to not include effectively half the frame is not great.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Ask them if that 20% has to be for a specialized.

wiggles
    Free Member

Ask them if that 20% has to be for a specialized.

Of course it does.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can see why the OP is peeved, but I don’t think he’s going to get anywhere.
    The bike industry warranty thing of ‘swingarm not included’ is a bit cak; bushes and bearings in the swingarm, yes, but to not include effectively half the frame is not great.

Really his bike is over 5 years old. Even the bits covered by the generous 5 year warranty are out of warranty.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Even the bits covered by the generous 5 year warranty are out of warranty.

Add in the aggressive attitude of the OP, and you have no real reason to wonder why!

stumpy01

mikewsmith – Member

Really his bike is over 5 years old. Even the bits covered by the generous 5 year warranty are out of warranty.

Yeah, I know that. So his bike’s not in warranty as it’s past the 5 years.
    But, in my opinion it should be the whole frame that has the warranty. As was said above somewhere you don’t buy the frame, shock and swingarm; you buy the frame and shock. At that point it’s considered a complete unit, so why not for warranty?

I know they can call the shots on it. But, to me it doesn’t seem right to have a 5yr warranty but only cover half the frame.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Are you sure Wiffles?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Specialized frame Guarantee Fiasco, SHAME on you Specialized’ is closed to new replies.