Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Specialized fox triad shock?
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Got a mate at work who has had problems with his shock and had it repaired in the shop a couple of months after purchase of the bike. It’s a 2010 Stumpjumper comp. Now it has broken again. Question is, should he try and get it fixed or just get another type of shock? Are these shocks known for problems? Can you fit a RP23 or similar on to this bike? What options does he have?

Cheers

Dan

LoCo
    Free Member

what was wrong with it? can’t have been that bad if the shop fixed it.
    The RP23’s are better shocks.

stevious

Already sent mine (from a Stumpy 2010) back to mojo for repairs once since sept.

Speshpaul

Ask to have it sent back, it should still be under warrenty or pretty near which is normally enough for spesh to sort it out.

jhw
    Free Member

I have a friend whose Fox Triad on a 2010 Stumpjumper got stuck down (it was very cold at the time).

Can you keep us posted on what happens with your mate?

Sounds like a possible bad batch?

This is unacceptable. You read too often on these boards about “bad batches” coming out of Fox or wherever. It seems like 1 year out of every 3 is just a “bad batch”…sorry!

Danno72
    Free Member

The shock has lost all fluid and air. Whats the difference between the specialized shock and an rp23? Will an rp23 fit in to the frame?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stuck down can be an issue in cold temps, because the rubber seals can stiffen, air can get by them, causing stuck down shocks.

stumpy01

MBR had a 2010 Stumpy FSR Elite & their Triad lost all it’s oil & subsequently damping.
    They had it sorted by Fox.

Mine was fine in the 8 months or so I owned it until they replaced it with a Brain when they warrantied the frame (paint defect).

LoCo
    Free Member

Rp23 has 3 propedal settings and p.p on/off switch. As opposed to the triads set pp, open and lockout. different internals.
    The length may mean Mojo have to build you one with a different bodytube due to lower mounting.
    Send back to Mojo for warranty and ask them about possible custom build rp23.

abductee
    Free Member

Same here, 2010 Stumpjumper 5 months old, Triad, cold weather, oil leaked out of the adjuster. I’ve sent it back to the shop so it might get fixed under warranty.

They are quite different to normal shocks so I reckon it would be difficult to replace it with somthing else unless parts were interchanged with another model to create a frankenshock.

The RP2 on my previous bike also leaked air after about 3 months but the replacement has held up OK.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes, spesh do like their non standard length shocks dont they,

amt27
    Free Member

Got an 8 month old Stumpy comp, not had a problem with it, although it’s not a great shock.

You couldn’t upgrade to a RP23 anyway, as the Triad doesn’t have a bottom eyelet, it bolts onto the linkage, any RP23 you buy would have an eyelet.

A few people on MTBR used to upgrade their 08-09 Stumpies to RP23, they had to get the shocks adjusted by Push, Fox now supply the RP23 in the correct size.

spacemonkey

Call Spesh CS and run it past them. They’ve always helped me out in the past.

020 8391 3500

LoCo
    Free Member

It is changeable to an RP23 it’s only the body tube that needs to be changed, a fairly basic job, unfortunatly Mojo don’t supply any parts to anyone else.

Danno72
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I’ve passed them on tho my mate and he is going to call Mojo and see what happens.

Cheers

Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Specialized fox triad shock?’ is closed to new replies.