Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Specialized Fatboy SE or Scott Big John
  • geoffj

or something else in the £1200 category with a 4.8 tyre and trail bike geometry?

In a large if that makes a difference.

roverpig

Surly ICT OPS is “only” £1299 at the moment

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/surly-ice-cream-truck-ops-complete-bike

It’s only 3.8″ tyres, but it’s the same frame, forks and cranks as the regular ICT so you could run 3.8 in the summer and stick some 4.8 tyres on for winter.

I’m not really sure what trail geometry is on a fatbike, but the Big Jon (and ICT) probably fit that description better than the fatboy (unless that’s got slacker recently).

solidrooster
    Free Member

How about a trek farley 5. 4.8 tyres sets up tubeless dead easy. Will take a bluto fork, though you’d need to change the front hub. Think mine came in at less than a grand.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigJohn

I’m English, not Scottish.

Rorschach
    Free Member

😀

rocketman
    Free Member

Have ridden both they’re trail-friendly fatties not swamp bikes

Seem to recall the Spesh had a some bits and pieces I wasn’t keen on PF BB QR axles and a distinct lack of Shimano. Think it had mechanical discs as well. A nice frame but a lot of things I wouldn’t be happy with

The Scott was a more honest, balanced sort of bike so I bought one

4.8 tyres have their own advantages and disadvantages tbh I wouldn’t specifically go looking for them

NormalMan

Apologies for the thread hijack.

@ Roverpig – are you still considering the ICT or would you look at a Wednesday?

roverpig

@ Roverpig – are you still considering the ICT or would you look at a Wednesday?

To be honest, when it comes to fatbikes, it’s all up in the air at the moment. I rode the ICT and liked it, so that has to count for something. Maybe it should be all that matters, but I’ve not ridden any other fatbikes, so I’m not sure I could really rule anything out.

I have just sold the Solaris frame and chubby wheels on the grounds that, while great, the chubby Solaris wasn’t really different enough to my other trail bike(s) to justify keeping. So, if I do go down the fatbike route I’m tempted to go the whole hog i.e. fully rigid with 5″ tyres, which I think rules out the Wednesday.

I do keep reading threads from 5″ fatbike riders who are switching to 4″ (or even plus size) for the summer though, so I’m wondering whether I should just park the whole fatbike project until the end of the summer (if we ever get one). That ICT sure was fun though and not a drop of snow on that test ride.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I’ll sell you a mint condition Large Wednesday…..

NormalMan

Kbrembo – Member
    I’ll sell you a mint condition Large Wednesday…..

I was thinking of yours for RP when I saw your ad on UK fat bikes.

roverpig

Thanks folks,

I think I’ll hold out for a “true” 5″ bike for now though, especially as the ICT is only £200 more than the Wednesday at the moment. I’ll bear it in mind if I change my mind though, which does happen a lot 🙂

NormalMan

roverpig – Member
    Thanks folks,
    I think I’ll hold out for a “true” 5″ bike for now though, especially as the ICT is only £200 more than the Wednesday at the moment. I’ll bear it in mind if I change my mind though, which does happen a lot

No worries.
    I’d been reading the Coastkid blogs on his new Wednesday being run with 5″ tyres. Then saw the ad I mentioned and it looked a bit of bargain.

roverpig

Yes, I saw that. Looked pretty cool, although I see that he had to move the 13T sprocket behind the largest one to get the chain to just clear the tyre! Some great videos though.

geoffj

Thanks for the replies. I too prefer the kit on the Scott compared to the Big Jon. I could probably get 10% off the Fatboy though 😕

Kbrembo – any more details? stw.geoffj@me.com

Painey
    Free Member

I picked up a 2nd hand Cube Nutrail recently. New they’re about £1300 but comes with Bluto’s and takes a 4.8 tyre. Geometry seems good to me but it’s not something I spend too much time worrying about. It’s certainly a lot of fun to ride.

geoffj

Job done – although it’s ended up costing me a Genesis Caribou for the boy too 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Fatboy’s are a lot of fun.

You’ll enjoy the ride!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Fatboy SE or Scott Big John’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts