Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Specialized Epic Evo or Trek Fuel EX?
  • Twodogs

For riding multi-day races (tho not necessarily racing them!). I tried the Fuel Ex on Saturday, and really liked it, though it did suffer from a bit of pedal bob with the ProPedal off. Haven’t tried the Epic…but should I even bother?!

trund
    Free Member

I’m also thinking about the epic evo; have you tried it yet or made a decision? My local shop are getting one in for me to look at.

T.

Twodogs

I made a decision…and got the Fuel. it’s currently sitting in my house all nice and shiney waiting for a ride at the weekend. I didn’t try the Epic as I couldn’t find anywhere that would let me test ride one properly. In the end, I decided I didn’t want the brain equiped shock, and did want 120mm travel at both ends – I couldn’t think of a reason not to get the Fuel!

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Got a mate with an Epic and the “Brain”. He says he’s spent time adjusting the Brain for the sweet spot, but it still doesn’t really stop pedal induced bob on the rear suspension.

he’s had a go on my Fuel Ex 8, and described the feel with Pro-pedal on as better than the brain; with it off – Fuel Ex is worse pedal bob than the brain.

It’s a matter of whether you can be arsed reaching down between your legs mid-ride to turn pro-pedal on and off. Mind you, unless I am stood up on the pedals going up hill, the pedal bob on the fuel Ex is minimal. You really do notice the pro-pedal ON – I feel like I am on a full rigid with the front locked out.

Twodogs

I think I’ll probably only put pro-pedal on when I’m doing long road or fireroad climbs. Also mine has the 3 propedal settings, so with that and correct tuning of the rebound and stuff, I think the bob will be minimized

stumpy01

I test rode an EX8 a year or so ago and pedal bob was minimal in the pro-pedal setting – barely noticeable in fact.

I’ve not ridden an Epic but I’ve now got a Stumpjumper with the Brain shock. It’s tuned to be more compliant than the more racy Epic and even stood up on climbs, it barely bobs. That is set to it’s firmest setting; I’ve not had the frame that long so am still fiddling round with it.
    I initially expected to set it somewhere halfway between the firm & soft limits, but to be honest, it seems to react so quickly to bumps that I am tending to leave it fully firm.
    I’m not sure if I prefer it or not to the Triad shock that was on the previous frame. That seemed to control bob almost as well and had less bits to go wrong on it. Plus, running it locked or fully open was just a flick of a lever away.

Twodogs

the other factor in my decision was that I suspected that the Epic would be quite race oriented (as Stumpy01 says). I rode an Anthem, and while I loved it, I think it would be pretty hard work for all day riding as it needs so much in put – I’m doing the Transrockies again next year, and I decided the slightly more relaxed style of the Fuel would be better for 8-10 hour days….but it’s still alot lighter than the Pace 405 I did it on last year.

simondbarnes

I’ve ridden both and prefer the Epic Evo. It’s my new favourite bike. Fuel EX is also an excellent bike though.

If anyone wants to demo an Epic Evo then Bikeshak in Altrincham have a medium in the demo fleet (along with EX8, EX9.7, Stumpjumper, Camber, Remedy)

Hornet600
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 Epic’s now; 2007 and 2010. I also has a Spark 20 in 2009 and rated the Spark much more than the Epic.
    Just couldn’t get on with the rear shock brain. The Spark just felt right, was comfy all day with mates in the hills and made for a quick race bike.
    Now back to hardtails again but if I were to go back to full-suss, Spark everytime although the price has gone up somewhat now!!

Janesy
    Free Member

Id always say go for the Epic. The Brain is great. (if your an educated person and have the ability to set it up) 🙄
    Ive ridden the 2010 ex 8 and didnt rate it compared to the Epic. But then I am slightly biased.

trund
    Free Member

I really like the look of the evo but have also been looking at the epic comp carbon. After reading some of your posts I’m not sure which to get. I’m mainly doing xc with a bit of single track stuff thrown in, nothing too heavy though. I want a bike light enough for all day rides. Do you think the evo fits the bill or the racier carbon comp. I’m up-grading from a specializedfsr xc which feels a little dull to ride. Ive not been into it that long so any advice is very much appreaciated 🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

I shortlisted both, but ended up buying a Giant Anthem X1. Very happy with it so far.

Twodogs

sadly, Trund, just reading this thread shows that the only way to find out is to go and try them all!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have you overlooked the Giant Trance? More comparable to the fuel-ex I’d have thought?

Janesy
    Free Member

I would have to agree, you really need to try them. imo the Epic is better, I wouldn’t get the Carbon, I didn’t see the benefits… I tried both.
    Plus I have always had a worry about carbon. The first ride on the Epic I was riding down a steep rocky gully, A large rock the size of a tennis ball smashed in to the down tube.

At the end of the day get your comfortable on.

edit – wow that reads like a pile of poo. to tired to change it.

trund
    Free Member

It’s difficult to try them, my local shop have got an evo they are building up but I know they won’t let me go for a proper ride on it.

If I was to go for the carbon it would be without seeing the actual bike I’d be buying because they won’t get it in on the off chance of me buying. I’d also rather but from them as I’ve been given very good prices for both bikes.

My reason for the carbon was weight saving and having the double crank rather than a triple.

Janesy- Is the evo light enough for all day rides and does it still feel race oriented? Or do you know the comparison between the carbon.

Thanks for your input!

Janesy
    Free Member

My Evo comes with a double crank (XO carbon). My bike is the same as the other 2011 epics, so the geo is the same. Aka race oriented. However it has beefier tyres and a command post, which is awesome!

The Epic is definitely light enough for all day rides – It’s an XC / trail bike. For me personally, I have purchased some new tyres to lighten it a little for some planned racing next year. All in all a very capable machine.

Janesy
    Free Member

Basically, ask yourself this:

1. Do you have the budget to get the carbon which in all intents is the same bike for a few grams?

2. Are you worried about impact carbon strength and scratches chips?

If it’s yes to the first and no to the second get the Carbon.
    God i need to put laptop down.

Cheers.

simondbarnes

My reason for the carbon was weight saving and having the double crank rather than a triple.

The Epic Evo comes with a double chainset

My bike is the same as the other 2011 epics, so the geo is the same. Aka race oriented. However it has beefier tyres and a command post, which is awesome!

They also have 20mm longer fork travel unless you have changed your fork?

Janesy
    Free Member

Simon – I did mention the double,but I see your right about the 120mm. there are SIDs though. light.

trund
    Free Member

Hi guys

The epic non carbon comp comes with a triple chainset rather than the double. I don’t think I’ll be doing anything where i’ll be testing the strength of the carbon too much. I broke some ribs a couple of months back so its only xc for me :lol:.

The head angle is different for the evo 69 degrees to 70 degress for the standard epics, not sure how much diference that’ll make?

My local shop will give me a price for the carbon that is not far off the alloy epic so it’s not so much about cost.

Decisions decisions! I love the look of the evo though. cheers guys.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Epic Evo or Trek Fuel EX?’ is closed to new replies.