Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Specialized Enduro Expert 2004 FSR – Any good and what are they worth?
  • MattH
    Free Member

Hi there, I’m after some of your experience.

I am currently looking at buying my first full sus all mountain bike and have been offered a Specialized Enduro Expert 2004. Obviously this is a 7 year old bike now so I was wonderinng if anyones had any experience with them and what peoples views are. Are these bikes still good considering we are now 7 years on and things have progressed.
    A link to the bikes spec is below.
    http://www.steventownley.co.uk/play/mountain_biking/enduro_expert_2004_spec_and_pic.htm

Also, if this is still a decent bike for a starter full sus bike how much should I look at paying for one in resonable condition with the normal cable rub marks and scratches.

All opionions, views, experience and help is appreciated.

Many thanks

stumpy01

Not ridden the bike myself, but probably a bit more information would help.

How much is the bike? How good condition is it in? Still on original forks, shocks & bearing? Have these been serviced regularly? All original bits or some ‘newer’ components?

If it was in fine fettle and someone wanted £200 for it, then it could be a bargain.
    If it has never seen a spanner, fork or shock service and it’s selling for £500, then I would steer well clear.

Holmesey
    Free Member

Same as Stumpy.
    I know someone with this bike and he likes it, though hardly ever rides anything hillier than East Leeds. another mate has the 05 version and has had it all over the Alps, Scotland etc and loves it to bits.
    Like my 04 Stumpjumper though, it’s probably worth a good look at play in bearings, wear and tear/scratches in fork bushing and general frame damage as these will add hidden cost to put right (if present).
    Not the lightest of bikes, but like Stumpy says, if it’s cheeeeap as chips, could be a bargain.
    more info please

MattH
    Free Member

Hi thanks for the reply. The condition looks good with a few rub marks and scratches. he seller states it has been very looked after and the shocks are all fine. Hes after £400 for the bike.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’d say £400 is about the mark that you start to get older high end bikes on ebay and the like.

What you need to factor in is the replacment of worn parts. If the forks or shock need a service that would be a £100 to start then there is everything else that wears out from bbs to brake pads.

You might get a couple of years of hassle free riding and its a bargain or you could lose £100s in maintenance quickly. Hard to tell unless you give it a real good check over.

nickf
    Free Member

Bearings/bushings wear out very quickly. I recall getting through three sets in about 18 months. Same rider, same terrain on a 5 Spot and I’ve not changed them in 5 years.

stumpy01

£400 is a fair wedge for a 7 year old bike.

I just had a quick look online and reckon it was about £1500 new.
    You need to factor in that you might need a fork service (£80), shock service (£100) and potentially new bearing (£80 fitted, estimate).

The seller is hardly going to say that it is not been looked after, so you just need to be aware that the bits that make it go boing might need some attention.
    Can you see/ride the bike beforehand? If not, then it could be an expensive purchase.
    You mention it’s your first full sus. Do you have experience of riding a full sus and knowing what it should feel like? If you don’t then get someone who does to go with you.

What type of riding are you envisaging it for? Would you perhaps be better off saving up & getting something like a Spesh Camber, a Giant Anthem X4 or a Boardman FS??

If you could view it, have a quick ride and know what you are looking for then it could be a great buy, but equally it could be a money pit.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Some good advice here. You need to be aware that a bike that has a good spec will cost a lot to mantain at the same standard. You can find yourself throwing money at an old bike.

stumpy01

You need to be aware that a bike that has a good spec will cost a lot to mantain at the same standard. You can find yourself throwing money at an old bike.

Yep. That’s why I got rid of my 2001 Stumpjumper FSR at the beginning of 2010.
    It was starting to cost more and more money and the rear shock was pretty much knackered. I’d already replaced the brakes, fork, chainset etc.
    The thought of throwing more money at it when I had got to the point of realisation that a less ‘xc’ oriented bike would suit be better anyway meant that I chopped it in. Most of the bits from it ended up on an Inbred frame and the frame now sits in the garage……which is a bit sad.

MattH
    Free Member

Thanks for your advice. It has given me something to think about. The type of riding I will be doing is a mixture really. It will be used for work and weekend XC with some down hill tracks.
    The reason I was going to go for it is because theres not much about for the £400 mark.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Matt,

You are right – at £400 there are a lot of people after a bargain.

I ended up getting a Hardtail (where at least there are no links / rear shock to go wrong). And i am still considering the step up to a high end full sus.

corroded
    Free Member

I had one of those – a classic design IMO and I really regret selling it. It was as happy doing Cwm Carn as the South Downs Way. As a first full-sus, I can’t imagine much better for the outlay. As for the price, that would depend on the condition – I’ve paid more for less…

AlasdairMc

I’ve still got mine, but almost all of it has been replaced over time. All that remains is the shock, headset and shifters as I built it up quite burly. They’re great bikes though, the ability to change the entire shock characteristics with a switch was a great benefit and certainly made it a very versatile bike.

I didn’t get on well with the Talas on mine, the bike was completely transformed with a Pike.

Also – they eat bushings, so you’d be best off buying a handful and the fitting tool.

EDIT – don’t commute on it, it’s just not worth it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The reason I was going to go for it is because theres not much about for the £400 mark.

You could get a 456, at least there’s only 1/3 of the expensive bits (no bearings/bushings and no rear shock, so only the forks to worry about).

Save up a little more and look at s/h specialized Pitch’s (Pitchi?) the comps (or a well used pro) often sell for ~£600-700 and would make a great first DH bike, if not quite as good a XC bike.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I had a 2003 and at the time it got good reviews, how things have moved on and if they are any better is another matter.

Check the frame arround the seat post as they have been known to crack

The frame bearings do wear just check for play

The rear shock is a weak point as it get subjected to side load and wears out the piston( not the correct word) if the colour of the piston changes (the top layer wears off) or if there are scratches it is buggered and it needs to be changed (about £100ish)

as for the rest use your commen sence it it looks or feels well used it will need changing soonish

As for the forks I would save money and buy new if they are buggered as they will be better and prob lighter too.

All in all its a good ride I took mine to Morzine and Spain and it would handle more than I could and for £400ish if in good condition should be fun

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Awesome bike rode one to death (literally!) check the welds on the chain & seat stays (inside too) as that was where mine went.

Mine was an S-works from 04 so a little lighter but not that much in it.
    Ride was very good climbed well even with just a float r but would benifit from a rp.
    Went down very well:)

Was voted best bike of the last 10 years in MBR a few years back

Bearings a pain but changeable
    Bushings as above

Ride brilliant!!

kaesae
    Free Member

There’s a lot to check on a fullsus especially a used one, but those are great bikes and the spec looks OK.

As for checking the bearings on the bike the best way is to rotate them, best way to check your bearings.

Give everything from the wheel to the headset a shake/rock test, see if it has any play. If you do decide to buy the bike and the frame bearings need serviced I can show you how to fit some new ones.

Those are great if a bit older bikes, I wouldn’t mind running one, good luck moving upto fullsus if you choose too.

If you need a hand at any point just message me my emails in my profile!

Xylene
    Free Member

I bought my frame off Clubber on here and it was the right decision for me. I didn’t need a FS but wanted one, didn’t fancy outlaying a load of cash on an all singing and dancing one so got his frame.

Have never regretted it yet. It hasn’t let me down once, touch wood, so far and I’m a fatty.

MattH
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice. A lot for me to think about. May see if he wants to sell it for a little less. There are a couple of 2004 Enduro’s on eBay so I will see how much they sell for.
    I do want a Spec PITCH as they seem to be a good all round mountain bike with good spec for down hill.
    Thanks again for your help. If I can get it for cheaper I may still go for it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro Expert 2004 FSR – Any good and what are they worth?’ is closed to new replies.