Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Specialized Enduro 650b (too much bike for me? thoughts?)
  • ks562
    Free Member

I keep looking at the Specialized 650b Enduro comp and I am going to demo it next week down in the Lakes. My other half seems to think it will be too much bike for me (his theory is since I am a girl and light I don’t need 160mm travel and 140 would be more suited) thoughts? I currently have a scott spark (26 inch wheels, 120 front and back) which I have massively changed to make it slacker and plusher (it has to do everything from all day epics to uplifts at Inners). Main riding spots are around Stirling (Dumyat, North Third Cambu), plus lots of trips down to the Tweedvalley (mainly the black & off piste stuff at GT) plus DH at Inners (I survive on the Spark) and I have just got the nerve to start riding the Golfie (I say ride, mince down at the moment but I am enjoying it!). I also do a few trips to the Highlands (Torridon and Kinlochleven) and the Lakes so wondering if the Enduro would be too much for these big days?

I have my 29er race bike for regular trail centre stuff.

Thoughts? I know my other half is hoping you’ll all talk me out of it and tell me to stick with the Spark and have a couple of skills sessions instead… 8)

TheSlider
    Free Member

Nah, go for it ! You can’t have enough travel and it will give you the confidence it sounds like you are lacking. It can be set up by the shop you are buying it from so you get the best out of that 160mm, as long as it’s a GOOD bike shop, and you’ll go on in leaps and bounds. Probably be thrashing your boyfriend in no time. Maybe THAT’S the reason he doesn’t want you to change ?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

demo it 1st and see how you get on with it. What 140mm bike is he suggesting you get?

Ride the spesh and see if it gives you more confidence ? Will it be a hindrance round N3rd? Does it fit you? etc

legend
    Free Member

My other half seems to think it will be too much bike for me (his theory is since I am a girl and light I don’t need 160mm travel and 140 would be more suited) thoughts

Other half sounds like a nob, should probably upgrade that too. Test ride a few others first though

Give it a shot, Dumyat, N3rd, Comrie, Inners, Golfie etc etc will be a load more fun (on the way down) on the bigger bike. You’ve still got the 29er for when you want to pedal, job’s a good un!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Probably be thrashing your boyfriend in no time. Maybe THAT’S the reason he doesn’t want you to change ?

This too.

scandal42
    Free Member

Other half sounds like a nob, should probably upgrade that too. Test ride a few others first though

You certainly sound qualified to comment

nickc

What’s the weight of it would be my question? Personally* I’d always go for a lighter bike with “just enough” suss rather than a bike that’s going to be too heavy at the end of a ride with “more than enough” suss.

* aware that’s it’s subjective, sorry.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If you like it, when you try it, buy it. It’s easy 😀

legend
    Free Member

You certainly sound qualified to comment

Oh absolutely. After reading this I’m going home to make my other half’s downhill bike off her as she’s just a girl.

ks562
    Free Member

This comments are making me smile and are useful too. I’ve probably made him out to sound a bit sexist haven’t’ I? I think his thoughts on the 140 were the same as nickc What’s the weight of it would be my question? Personally* I’d always go for a lighter bike with “just enough” suss rather than a bike that’s going to be too heavy at the end of a ride with “more than enough” suss. thinking a 140 would be lighter for all day riding that was all. He absolutely loves watching the girls smash it on DH tracks and likes the fact I’m now pushing him (I was the one that convinced us to try the uplift at Inners). I still have the sneaky suspicion he’s worried it will make me faster and beat him though…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did a little review of a 650 Enduro here
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/specialized-enduro-elite-650b-a-quick-review

I liked it.

legend
    Free Member

Definitely give the Enduro a go for the day. If you think it’s OTT but you like it, then you can always go for a Stumpjumper with a cubby-hole for your make-up lunch instead 😉 – still winning!

nickc

You need to decide what type of fun you want to have

160mm bikes (and I don’t get all the guff about not using all the travel, I don’t see Rachel Atherton on a 140mm bike cos that’s all she needs!!) they can be set up to suit your weight, but you’d be hard pushed to call them sprightly or nimble they ‘tend’ to be a bit monster truck-ish, and if that’s what you want then nothing but a 160mm will be right.

But, if you want flickable, playful, to have to choose lines, and be fast and fun, then 140mm is a better bet I reckon.

Try a few is always a good idea. Enduro is a nice bike, but there are loads of nicer ones!

badllama
    Free Member

OP just get it 🙂
    I’ve an old Enduro Expert and I ride it every where from local woods, Delamere to big days out in the lakes it’s over biked for 70% of my riding but get in the lakes on a proper gnarly section and I know for a fact I’ll crap out WAY…. before I go beyond the bikes limits it gives me real confidence in hitting the big stuff and it’s only got 26″ wheels!
    😀

rickon
    Free Member

Pffft. IF you’re riding at Inners and the Golfie then a slacker bike will be ideal. Forget the travel, its more about the geometry – and decent geometry is usually found on bikes with greater travel.

I’d also look at the Canyon Spectral and Strive CF, as they’re proper sorted geometry but far cheaper than Specialized.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro 650b (too much bike for me? thoughts?)’ is closed to new replies.