Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Specialized Enduro 26 Would I be mad ?
  • kjrogers

Currently looking for a longer travel bike than my current 120mm Specialized.

Looking at the Whyte G150 and Specialized Enduro 26. Really like the Enduro when I threw a leg over it. Only considering this over the Stumpy as the travel difference isn’t that much and it comes with the Pike fork.

Mostly riding trail centre stuff but some bigger mountain planned for later this year. Would I be mad to go for the extra travel of the Enduro as I want it to climb well also ?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Enduro climbs ok, better than my old heckler. Its not light however, so not going to be particularly fast uphill.

Blast going back down the hill however

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve got an Enduro (albeit an older one) and a Stumpjumper and they are very different beasts – the Enduro climbs ok, but the Stumpjumper is awesome.
    going down is the other way round.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Love my 2013 enduro 26
    But it’s not just a longer travel stumpy. Personaly I prefer the slacker angles of the enduro but it will be a little
    Slower uphill

Used t have an enduro evo 2011 but that was to much for normal every day use

NormalMan

I saw one the other day and it looked stunning.

Given the rumours that it will be 650b next year, you might be able to get a good deal too 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

If you need more bounce, slackness and all round stronger frame the Enduro fits the bill. However, a Stumpjumper is much more of an all rounder than an Enduro and can be seriously hustled along and up much better than the Enduro, but it will lose out coming down.

Tracey

Im lucky to have a S Works Enduro, and have also got access and ridden in the UK and the Alps a S Works stumpjumper with 160mm forks and a Enduro Expert which has just been stripped and the frame sold to build up another S Works Enduro frame for Abigale.

Pic here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-your-enduroall-mountainnewfangled-marketing-term-bikes/page/3

They are both very capable bikes both up and down. The Stumpjumper is a bit better on the ups . I prefer, as does Abigale, the Enduro but Kevin gets on better with the Stumpjumper. What ever you pick they are both great fun. Ive never found them that heavy

badllama
    Free Member

I went from a Spesh Camber 120mm 26″ to a Enduro 2011 Expert 26″ and it’s an fantastic bike on the downs it’s one of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden can really throw some big stuff at it and it just keeps going.

on the ups it makes it slightly harder work than the camber but it still climbs like a mountain goat 😀

I think my next bike will be the 29er version

astrozombies
    Free Member

My 2012 enduro expert weighs in at 27lb with pedals, didn’t realise that was considered heavy!

tomaso
    Free Member

My 2010 Stumpjumper FSR was 32.5lbs and a like for like build with an Enduro would be heavier and generaly the forks will be chunkier too.

Enduro frame 7.14lb + Lyric 4.6lb
    Stumpjumper EVO frame 5.3lb + Fox 150rl 3.53lb

I miss my Stumpjumper (stolen) and have a Pitch with Lyriks at the moment but want a 2010 onwards Enduro (badly).

Euro
    Free Member

Get a Stumpy and put some Pikes on it. It’ll then be faster than an Enduro on the way up and just as rapid back down again. A fantastic bike (can you tell i have one?)

Vinte
    Free Member

tomaso I have a Pitch with 55s. I found myself lusting after a Carbon Enduro 29er the other day in the LBS. Must get these thoughts out of my head.

NormalMan

@ Euro.

I know I’ve said it before but your bike looks stunning.

We need a show us your full sus Spesh thread!

sprocker
    Free Member

I have a 2011 enduro with new pikes on its a great bike. Run 1 x 10 and it climbs well all over the peak and it is far mor capable than a stumpy on the way down.

Euro
    Free Member

Thanks Normal Man.

Sprocker, race ya! 😈

kjrogers

thanks for the replys, I’ve thought about getting a stumpy and changing the fork but this would put the price higher than the Enduro.

Anyone have a Whyte G150 ?

deanfbm
    Free Member

Mad going for a 150/160 bike for general trail riding.

Your camber sounds perfect for the riding you describe.

What are you hoping to achieve with the extra travel?

PS stumpys are seriously capable, should only be looking at an enduro if you can only have one bike but do trail riding and DH.

All pretty simple right?

NormalMan

Wandering OT but kjrogers you had a Camber didn’t you?

What mods have you made on it? I’m in the process of fine tuning mine, hence the question.

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate has a G150 and has no complaints so far. He had a Trek EX8 before and noticed a big change with the slacker geometery and shorter stem. He rides fast in the Lakes and two months in seems to still be happy.

astrozombies
    Free Member

I thought about getting a stumpy but preferred the steeper seat angle / slacker head angle on the enduro.

Putting 160mm forks on the stumpy would slacken the head angle but also the seat angle…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I hated my 2010 Enduro. Cumbersome and ponderous is how I would describe it.

Great in those swoopy sweepy balls out fast runs, shit at tight twisty steep slow stuff.

kudos100
    Free Member

I had a 2011 enduro and it was good fun, but too much for most of my riding. Flattened everything out and I only found it fun when I was riding DH tracks.

The new ones are supposed to climb better, are lighter and have a decent shock tune.

I now have a 2012 stumpy evo. Does everything well and is only a bit slower than the enduro downhill.

We need a show us your full sus Spesh thread!

Ah, go on then, one more of mine – 6 years old this year and absolutely love it…

smogmonster

I think, and this is only my personal opinion, you’d be mad to buy a 26er anything right now. Whether we like it or not, 26ers are, or at least very soon will be obsolete. The industry is pretty much guaranteeing that the only choice will be 650b or 29er. Look how many late model 26ers are for sale on EBay and the like…..

I’d buy a 26″ bike – but I’d be looking for a discount

takisawa2

Best Enduro ever.
    Sorely missed.
    Had to get planning permission for that stem.
    😥

IMG_5354 by pten2106, on Flickr

deanfbm
    Free Member

Why does whether it’s 26 or not come into it?

A good bike is a good bike regardless of wheel size.

If you’re thinking resale 🙄

If it’s a good bike, it’ll get ridden, i’d hope that when im done with it it’ll be pretty trashed.

If it’s not trashed by the time im done with it, it was a rubbish bike anyway because i didnt ride it.

My opinion of course, an opinion that has taken a step back form must haves, marketing guff and made up paranoia of where the industry is headed, how does any of that stuff make any difference to how good the bike is, hence its value.

Spares/components deanfbm – wheels, tyres, forks

duir
    Free Member

Spares/components deanfbm – wheels, tyres, forks

All that stuff will be around for years and years and certainly long enough for them to re-invent 26″ as the next big thing in MTB.

You know that for certain do you? Who’d have foreseen how hard it is now to buy forks with a 1/8th steerer so quickly?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Good Choice, but good luck finding one. They are sold out and they aren’t making anymore. Best bet would be to phone around all the concept stores to see if they have stock of any.

tomaso
    Free Member

A 26 Enduro may be the peak of development that the new 650b & 29ers take a few more years to scale.

kjrogers

deanfbm

I’m looking at longer travel as I’m planning to ride more away from the trail centres and do more technical riding building up to an Alps holiday later this year. So by going longer travel I’m looking for a more capable bike. I’m asking about the Enduro as similar price to the Stumpjumper but you get the Pike fork which I would like.

normalman

I still have my camber. I’ve changed to brakes to XT, shadow plus XT rear mech and have a dropper post but apart from that the bike is stock. I like the way it rides but I was thinking about changing the fork and consequently the wheels as the front is quick release but then began to wonder if I would be better just changing the bike. I’ve got the 2012 Expert version.

Smogmonster

Not worried at all about buying a 26 bike now. There is plenty of people, in fact I would guess the majority of riders are still on 26 wheel. Thats a lot of demand that manufacturers would be mad to ignore when producing spares, forks. tyres etc.

pbooker

I know where there is stock of both bikes but I think I will need to act quickly.

NormalMan

Thanks for the info kjrogers. I have the same model. I found it hard to get it to ride right for both the long / easy pace family rides then be playful for when the terrain gets interesting. However I now have a Carve Expert which is full on xc and that has let me dial down the xc from my Camber.

I’ve added a 50mm Raceface Chester stem and Fatbar lite’s. That has really changed the character of the bike imho. I’ve also dropped the shock pressures slightly which has added to the improved ride for me.

Next is a dropper post. Which one do you have? I’m torn between the Command post and Reverb. I find I ride the Carve more so I always end up baulking at spending out on one 🙂

I’ve earmarked SLX brakes if / when the Avids let me down! But do far so good.

Back on topic, if you are short on stock try the Concept Store in Kingston as they had the Enduro I saw the other day (size M iirc) also, as I said in another thread Freeborn or Certini.

Keep us posted.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Wide bar, short stem, thru axle forks (x-fusion velvets @130), beefier wheels (hope arch ex) with meatier tubeless tyres (rubber queen/hans dampf) will get you covered on your camber, for what you want it to do, no problems. Cambers can be ragged.

What you want is what you want, it’s fair enough, it’s your money.

But you’re getting into the realms of irrational want by buying a bike that realistically sounds like it’ll only be good for maybe 5% of your riding.

But then if the big, bouncy bike, which isn’t really suitable gets you motivated to go out more, it’s doing its job, right?

But then if you need a purchase or an idea of a bike to get you motivated for that stuff, surely it’s yourself rather than the bike you should be blaming for you limitations (though it can be nice to have a security blanket). Just putting out there, it’s what i tell myself when i start doubting stuff due to the bike im on.

LMT
    Free Member

Always wanted an enduro, think it was the 2009 model the last one before the x-frames started, problem is would never use the travel. Currently have a camber expert 26″ does everything i need biking wise. The colour is a bit meh but might get it re-sprayed at some point.

dan45a
    Free Member

OP – would you be mad…no!

The enduro is an awesome bike, as is the stumpjumper. But if you want one bike for all the enduro is a great option.

Especially if you are intending to do more technical off piste riding in the uk and trips abroad the enduro will cover it all well. Also if you are interested in any of the increasingly popular gravity enduro type events it’s the prefect tool for the job..

I use my 2013 enduro for trail centre bashing as well and its fine, may be slightly slower uphill than a stumpy but its your engine that makes the biggest difference. I went from a 26lb carbon yeti asr5 to an enduro and don’t fell compromised at all.

Enduro cwmcarn by dan45a, on Flickr

@ deanfbm – you are coming across as a bit patronising tbh.

In fact, you almost sound like you are trying to justify not having enough bike!

There’s nothing wrong with having a 150/160mm bike at all, they ride great these days with sorted geometry and advanced suspension platforms.

Mine weighs 30lb on the nose and whilst I don’t think it’s been many places that I couldn’t take my hardtail, the manner in which it can be ridden at those places is worlds apart. That said, we all have personal limitations – I don’t doubt Steve Peat could ride my HT with it’s 100mm forks most places faster than I could ride my Enduro.

However, I can honestly say, I’ve never, ever been on a ride on my Enduro and thought ‘I wish I had less travel’.

Pete-B
    Free Member

My SJ Evo 29er before descending South Head to Coldwell.
    Riding trail centres it was hard to gauge any advantages over my SJ FSR 26, but I was pleased it could handle tight switch-backs as well, however descending in the Peak really showed it’s capabilities.

kjrogers

normalman

Changing the brakes was the best thing I did on the bike, I put 180mm rotors front and rear and the increase in control and confidence was massive over the elixir 5. I was using a Command Post that I picked up secondhand for £110, can’t fault it. I run the shock a lot softer than suggested and the rear as per the book, weigh 11.5 stone and run 120psi rear and 80psi pos/neg on the front.

Went to have a look at the bikes again today, LBS had sold the whyte so I couldn’t get a shot but they are getting one in for me to have a go on. Tried an Enduro, only on the street unfortunately and it was also the carbon version. Pedals really well, bobs about the same as the camber with the platform off. Generally the bike felt comfortable and I felt happier on that than the 29er stumpjumper. They had an Enduro alloy in a large size and the weight was very good.

Will get a go on the whyte next weekend and can then make a decision.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro 26 Would I be mad ?’ is closed to new replies.