Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • specialized enduro
  • toons
    Free Member

@munrobiker interesting; do you own both bikes and are you talking about 29ers?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nah, I just want to borrow your scales, will save me a few pounds off my build 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

Toons- this refers to 26″ only, I’m not interested in the 29″ alternatives really. I don’t own the Enduro but have ridden one extensively.

Hobnob- I suspect a more prudent choice of spec would sort that out for you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJM1974
    Free Member

Toons- this refers to 26″ only, I’m not interested in the 29″ alternatives really. I don’t own the Enduro but have ridden one extensively.

I felt exactly the same way about big wheeled bikes…until I tested my Stumpy 29er! That said, I did have a quick go on a 26″ Stumpy Evo with Fox 36s and was hugely impressed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RE the “bodge” comments, not 100% sure! Can’t remember seeing a spacer in there on the 650, and to be honest, I don’t think it would bother me in the slightest, it rode brilliantly, and that’s all that really matters!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Definitely prefer to try the ‘Bermuda Triangle Scales’ method 😉

cocker
    Free Member

thanks again for the helpful replies.
    the bike shop has only got a medium and cant get a 2014 model in large,but i had a sit on a 2015 650b enduro in large and didn’t feel any difference.
    think im going to take the plunge

moshimonster
    Free Member

the 2015 model Enduro 29 has no provision to fit a front mech

Well my 2015 came with the tacho plate to fit a front mech, so I reckon it can – not that I will as I’m happy with the 1×11 setup. 2015 also has 30T chainring, which is better for me.

moshimonster
    Free Member

The geometry isn’t wildly different- 67 headangle as opposed to 66.5, although the Enduro has a 20mm longer wheelbase and a 15mm taller BB. Chainstays are 1mm shorter on the Enduro. TTs are the same.

When you compare the geo on a 29er 2015 Enduro v Stumpy Evo, it’s a slightly different story. Wheelbase is the same for both, chainstays are 25 mm shorter on the Enduro, TT is 5 mm shorter on the Enduro, BB effectively 10 mm higher on Enduro (corrected for sag), head angle 0.5 deg slacker on Enduro.

Main reason I went for the Enduro 29 over the Stumpy 29 in the end was because of the shorter chainstays (they are very short for a 29er). Reading between the lines it seems Spesh haven’t got round to shortening the Stumpy chainstays yet, although they may have just decided longer was better for climbing.

It’s all a compromise of course and while the Stumpy is almost certainly a better all-rounder for most UK trails, I thought I’d enjoy the Enduro more. I usually ride alone or with my wife who is a bit slower, so I don’t mind a bit of extra weight to lug around – not that it’s particularly heavy for a a trail bike (29 lb I believe for a large in carbon, but haven’t weighed it yet)

First impressions are great. Climbs fast as far as I’m concerned (29″ wheels?) and obviously more than capable on the downs. Climbing switch on the Cane Creek seems to work really well – rear seems to sit higher in travel and no pedal bob, but still feels reasonably compliant over bumps even when forgetting to switch it off for the descent!

OP – you should really try a 29er Enduro before making a final decision on the 650b. You might be pleasantly surprised how good an all rounder the 29 version is. For pure techy DH the 650b may have a slight edge, but for everything else I suspect the 29er is better.

moshimonster
    Free Member

It’s significantly lighter than an Enduro

1kg max, although that’s comparing an actual weight for an Enduro (size L) v claimed weight for Stumpy. If you compare actual weight for a Camber Evo (also L) v Enduro they are also 1 kg apart, which suggests that a Stumpy is actually closer to the Enduro weight. So lets say it’s maybe 0.5 kg lighter in reality. Doubt I’d notice that to be honest.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s all a compromise of course and while the Stumpy is almost certainly a better all-rounder for most UK trails, I thought I’d enjoy the Enduro more.

Can’t think of a better justification than this. It’s what buying bikes is all about when it comes down to it.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Exactly right PJM! I’m sure I would have been extremely happy with the Stumpy Evo 29 too, especially on the uphill bits. Actually the Enduro wasn’t really on my radar initially as I thought it would be overkill for my riding, but then I thought what the hell! My old do-it-all bike weighed 33 lb with 6″ travel, so it feels pretty nimble anyway and it gives my wife a useful advantage on the fire-road climbs.

cocker
    Free Member

size large enduro comp 29er 2014 bought today from bike scene

tymbian
    Free Member

Congratulations on your purchase..let us know how you get on.

cocker
    Free Member

thanks for the advice,managed to get a couple of local rides in this week ,just local xc through the woods and and bridle ways.
    i love it,can keep up with everybody,including the ones 20 years younger than me.
    climbs easily as well as my previous 26 camber
    very comfy and relaxed riding position.
    handles really well through tight woodland, which i didn’t expect

i cant wait to get out again.

also a thank you to bike scene in guisborough for their help and service when buying from them

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘specialized enduro’ is closed to new replies.