Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Specialized Diverge or GT Grade
  • Simon

I’ve currently got a Btwin Triban 3 that I bought a while ago to dip my toe into the world of road biking.

I use it for commuting and short (30/40km) solo rides.
    It does this ok but I’d now like something with disk brakes, the ability to take bigger tyres and some off road capability (farm tracks, moorland hard pack, easy singletrack).
    So, looks like I need a gravel bike.

I’ve narrowed my list down to a GT Grade alloy tiagra or I’ve found a ’16 Specialized Diverge DSW elite for £800.

Budget is £1000 absolute maximum.
    What would you get or better still recommend from personal experience?

scotroutes

I haven’t seen the Giant but we’ve bought the Diverge DSW as our road bike hire fleet this year. They are well finished, with lots of nice touches. I might be tempted to buy one when we sell them off in September…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Doesn’t the Diverge use some unique hub width, meaning it needs special wheels that cannot be transferred to other bikes?

Simon

SCS, it is one thing that is putting me off but I think you can get a non-SCS hanger stop you can use other wheels/hubs.

vinnyeh

I have an older Diverge DSW Comp, lovely bike. The frame is actually non-SCS, uses an offset hanger to allow it to run SCS wheels. As said above a regular hanger will allow it to run standard hubs.
    Tyre clearance is fairly limited compared to ‘proper’ gravel bikes- I’ve 32 Cross Wolfs at the moment, clearance is ok, but wouldn’t really go much bigger if you want any mud clearance. Probably squeeze in 35/36 tyres in the dryer months.

tillydog
    Free Member

I love my Diverge

The width of the SCS rear hub is standard, but the cassette sits further inboard, so if you try and fit a standard hub, the smallest cog fouls the hanger. A standard hanger is available (without the dogleg) which is supposed to fix this.

SCS Hub / SCS hanger

Standard MTB hub with SCS hanger (no go):

SCS Info (pdf)

Kuco

I’ll admit it’s not one of the best looking bikes but I love my DSW Diverge. My only gripe is the Tiagra shifters (spoilt by Ultegra on my old bike ) are a bit clunky and my left one takes some effort to shift into big ring.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can you get a test ride?

My BIL has an alloy diverge for just that sort of riding and loves it. A friend has a Grade, and guess what…..!

IIRC, the Grade might take a slightly bigger tyre.

wiggles
    Free Member

another diverge DSW owner here, it really is a great bike, mine is used for commuting on a mixture of roads and quite rough canal paths, it is great for this, only thing is I wish I had hydraulic brakes which are a very pricey upgrade.

(excuse the weird angle of the bars/shifters this was when I first got it)

theboatman
    Free Member

I have absolutely no expereince of the Diverge so can’t compare at all. But I did pick up a cheap Sora Grade when it was reduced to about £450, and in fairness it’s been the best value money I’ve spent on a bike ever for me. Does for my commute and general riding duties around Derbyshire. It’s had some parts bin upgrades, and is now running the wiggle cosine wheels. Looks wise, it’s certainly interesting….

I’ve had it in cross mode, but whilst I didn’t really note it being better or worse than any other cross bike I’ve used. But cross isn’t really my thing, so I’m probably not the best to comment.

hardupdad

I’d go with the grade. If you can find a Grade 105 it has the hydro trp calipers. Super versatile bike, on road and off. Can get massive tyres in too.

Kuco

I actually don’t have any issues with the cable brakes on the diverge but I use it mainly on road.

dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve got the grade FB (flat bar version) and it’s a cracking bike – running it with 35mm Vittoria tyres at the mo and it’s showing its versatility

jms
    Free Member

I also had a Btwin Triban 3 which I sold to fund my GT Grade, although it’s just the Claris version. I think that the GT Grade measured up quite big in terms of standover height compared to the Btwin so probably worth trying one. Been very impressed with how versatile it is although tempted to upgrade the basic cable disc brakes at some point.

greentricky
    Free Member

I got the Alloy 105 Grade and love it but don’t buy it in the hope of running big tyres, I think 35 is max, currently running 32s with full guards though. Might upgrade to some Hunt wheels at some point.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I’d go for the Grade if I were you. That strange rear hub spacing problem on the Diverge and you can’t get those SCS rear wheels for love nor money.

You’d need a spare wheel with different tyres to quickly interchange which is what I’d do to make the most of the versatility of these bikes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hope make SCS hubs.

tillydog
    Free Member

Standard MTB hubs will fit the Diverge with the right hanger. The difference in chain line is less than one gear shift.

The TRP Spyres are just about adequate (coming from MTB brakes). Swiss stop green pads help a lot. Hydraulic brakes would be the icing on the cake, and are something I hanker after.

28C Gravel Kings roll well on the road, and can take a surprising amount of off road, too (not wet grass though!).

Go with the bike that you take the longest, lingering, look at.

wiggles
    Free Member

Tempted to convert to flat bars… because I have spare mtb brakes and could buy bars and shifters for about 10% of the cost of road hydros, the brakes are really my only niggle with it, they work and slow me down I just have to put a LOT of effort into the lever to do it.

I’ve got the specialized mudguards and a set of vittoria XN pros in 31c that are just about as big as fits under the guards decent grip, roll well and comfy.

Hope make SCS hubs.

only bolt through though, the DSW diverge is QR so you just need normal 135mm hubs and the non-offset hanger

smell_it
    Free Member

Go with the bike that you take the longest, lingering, look at.

I’ve spent some time looking at them, but I’m not sure lingering is the word. Both are fugly, and I say that owning a carbon grade. It’s more function over form.

nre
    Free Member

Just bought a Grade X from wiggle, not ridden it yet as only arrived yesterday, but looks great in the flesh. Rear cassette sizing is only poor spec choice, I’m changing it for an 11-40. Depends whether you like the 1x option…

Stainypants

Ive got two GT Grades, one is the tiagra its stock except mudgards and a 105 chainset which i now use as my winter bike. The other is the Sora one as above but with everything upgraded full ultegra disc, crosslight wheels, carbon seat post, ti saddle and light weight bars not carbon as i use clip on tri bars. it which weighs a smidge over 9kg with pedals.

I’ve used the tiagra version in the pyranees including a ride with 4000m of climbing and on 200km audaxes and it was great, super comfy for me. The only problem was the stock pads wore quickly on the decents and the stock wheels/tyres are heavy but bombproof.

I use the posh one as my summer bike as i need something for the cols that can also do forest tracks but i’ve also used it on a hilly half ironman bike leg and it was fine for that too.

Having used the two for the past year or so, i dont think there’s that much in it except i feel i’m riding a nicer bike and the brakes are better on the posh bike. I weigh that much the difference in the bike weights makes no difference in real life.

Watch out for sizing the Large Grade is massive so definately throw a leg over one before you buy.

corroded
    Free Member

Not going to add anything new but I’ve got a carbon Grade and think it is a fantastic bike. Quick on the road, very capable off road and comfortable everywhere. I’d recommend getting hydro discs if that’s an option. Also second the sizing comment: the geo is a little quirky but suits me. I was pleased by the Praxis BB converter.

Simon

Question for the Grade owners. How tall are you and what size frame do you have?

flap_jack
    Free Member

My Diverge happily handles 36mm Clement X’PLOR MSO tyres. I squeezed in some WTB Nanos (claimed 40mm, measured 38mm) but wasn’t confident in the clearance to ride it.

corroded
    Free Member

6’1″ on a XL, but it fits well because I have disproportionately long legs.

paulx
    Free Member

6’3″ on an XL – 58cm. Normally I would ride 60cm but the Grade felt right at 58cm.

nre
    Free Member

6’2″ on a large 56 grade here, stem will need shortening from the standard 120mm!

theboatman
    Free Member

5’10” and on a 55cm with a 100mm stem, which is slammed. It fits fine, and doesn’t feel big, but I would get the 53cm if I were doing it again but as much as for the aesthetics.

Simon

Interesting, I was wondering if at 5’9″ a 53 Grade would work for me.

greentricky
    Free Member

6’2″ on an XL and I am long legged and struggle with stand over heigh on unlevel ground, painfully on occasion, would try a L next time round.

servo
    Free Member

I have a Diverge Smartweld and although it’s a pretty good bike, the SCS issue is a real downer.

The stock wheels are Axis 3.0 SCS with a through axle on the front and QR on the back.

There are no wheels in the world that will fit my bike 😈 .The axis ones that Specialized sell, have through axle on the back. Even the Hope ones look to be TA only.

I would like a nicer pair of wheels for the summer and a cheap pair for winter. I will have to buy a non-SCS dropout and buy a normal set of disk wheels, maybe Hunt or Hope 20Five. I cannot use the SCS wheels now, so have to sell them on ebay. I will then have to buy a cheap pair of normal wheels.

Can’t imagine what would happen if I broke the current SCS pair.

karlsbug
    Free Member

I’ve got a 105 alloy Grade, brilliant bike. If you can upgrade to the TRP HyRd brakes do it, they are great. I’m 5′ 8″ and have a 53, they do size up large. I’ve been on some trails I normally do on the mountain bike, its excellent and tremendous fun. 

dai3015
    Free Member

5’8 with the medium size flat bar version. Size seems fine but it’s not as stretched out as drops would be

vinnyeh

There are no wheels in the world that will fit my bike .The axis ones that Specialized sell, have through axle on the back. Even the Hope ones look to be TA only.

Stop having hysterics about nothing- it’s not really a big issue, is it? 🙄
    The frame isn’t actually an SCS frame, it uses an offset hanger to mimic one. If you really don’t want to change the hanger Strada do a conversion kit for the Hope SCS hub to allow it to use a 10mm axle i.e. same diameter as qr.

Or just do the simple and sensible thing, and use the correct hanger to run a regular wheel set.

servo
    Free Member

OK, not the end of the world but a nice wheelset is one of the first and best upgrades you can make. If you change the dropout it’s a shame you can’t use the supplied wheelset as a spare.

budgierider67

5’7″ with a carbon GT Grade 51cm. I initially ordered a 53cm but it felt too long & had the seatpost pretty slammed. Wiggle swapped it without any issues.
    The 51cm doesn’t feel cramped & the seatpost is extended a sensible amount.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

What is this about no other wheels axis 4.0 available for £230 on
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/18570/products/specialized-axis-4-0-disc-scs-ta-alloy-clincher-7000c-wheel-set.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CP3omfrQx9ECFYML0wod7xsAaQ

And tredz will have them in early February

Theirs a 279 comment thread here on going tubeless and other diverge details
    http://forums.mtbr.com/cyclocross/specialized-diverge-973831-5.html

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and ride the XL 58cm Tiagra spec alloy grade.
    Here it is at the Dorset Gravel Dash:

I only use it with knobby tyres now as I have a road bike, I wish it had more clearance for a bigger rear tyre, but other than that its a great bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Diverge or GT Grade’ is closed to new replies.