Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Specialized Defroster Trail
  • fathomer

My Shimano MW81’s are starting to fall to bits and have a cleat attached to them which is shot and has a rounded bolt!

I’ve tried the new Northwave’s and they didn’t fit very well so looking for something else.

The new Specialized Defroster Trail’s caught my eye in last weeks ‘Fresh Good Friday’ and wondered if anyone had them and what are they like for warmth etc. Also how do they size up, the blurb suggest going for your normal size as they’ve intentionally made them bigger?

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a pair. Fine for UK type winter conditions but not any colder. They look like there’s nothing there to do any insulation but you do keep warm feet. Certainly warmer than a pair of Goretex walking boots for example. I can’t remember what sizing I went for – I was in the Specialized store in Harrogate so just tried different sizes until one pair fit.

The sole is a very hard plastic/rubber and doesn’t afford much grip if you have to scramble around on anything rough.

emac65
    Free Member

Drill the rounded bolt out, 2 minute job…..

fathomer

Thanks whitestone, do you have the new ones that have ‘Thinsulate 400-gram insulation for warmth, with waterproof, seam-sealed internal bootie construction and reflective heat-loss barrier in the sole. Sealed canopy and neoprene collar keep heat in and water out’, like these:

jam-bo

pretty good allround. much roomier than my 2fo cliplites that are allegedly the same size.

I’d call them weather resistant rather than weatherproof. The cuff at the top doesn’t provide much of a seal but with tights/trousers covering that then 99% of the crap stays out.

sole is not very grippy either.

fathomer

emac65 – Member
    Drill the rounded bolt out, 2 minute job…..

That it might be but I’ll no doubt make a hash of it. Plus it doesn’t take away from the fact they’re falling to bits after 5, maybe 6 winters.

whitestone
    Free Member

Mine are the original(?) versions, orange detailing and sole.

jam-bo

this claims the old version has insulation too, although I dont have the ones with the orange soles.

8 Pairs Of Winter Boots Tested & Reviewed

giving them a squish, feels like there is some in there.

fathomer

whitestone – Member
    Mine are the original(?) versions, orange detailing and sole.

Ah ok, I’m looking at the above, you can’t get the older ones anymore. Thanks anyway.

iainc

The new ones are much much warmer. I got a pair a few weeks ago to replace a 3 yrs old pair, which were similar to whitestone’s ones. They are the same fit, so don’t size up as they have built in thick sock space. My first ride in them was a cold day, minus 7 at the beginning and minus 5 at the end and I had a single pair of mid weight hiking socks on. My feet were roasting. With the older ones, with same socks, I’d have been definitely on the cold side. In fact for that temp I’d had put on thicker socks. I need a wideish toe box due previous foot surgery and Spesh shoes and boots fit me very well. A definite thumbs up from me

fathomer

iainc, thanks for that, exactly what I wanted to hear. What’s the tread like? Though it can’t be any worse than that on the MW81’s!

iainc

the tread is solid, in that it’s inflexible, but it’s decent enough for clambering about. Not as good as a more walking boot based sole, but good enough I find.

fathomer

iainc – Member
    the tread is solid, in that it’s inflexible, but it’s decent enough for clambering about. Not as good as a more walking boot based sole, but good enough I find.

Thanks again, think I’ll order a pair and see how they fit, worst case is I have to send them back I guess.

emac65
    Free Member

fathomer – Member

That it might be but I’ll no doubt make a hash of it. Plus it doesn’t take away from the fact they’re falling to bits after 5, maybe 6 winters.

Fair enough 😉

peteimpreza

The orange soled ones are not the originals , Mk2 I think.

The originals have the silver/grey soles and are not particularly warm judging by the performance of mine. They are a good fit for my feet .

Be interested to hear how the latest ones perform.

iainc

^^^ I have had all 3 incarnations. The first ones were a smallish fit (you had to size up for thick socks) and were not that warm. The second ones were a good bit warmer and roomier (no need to size up for winter socks). I loved them and was sad to bin them after 3 yrs, but they were done, with some rubs, nicks, and wear on the sole beneath the cleats (time) such that they rattled a bit on the pedals. The recent ones, as said above, are warmer again, and same fit as Mk 2.

onewheelgood

I had the originals for 8 or so years. Now have the orange soled ones. Neither has a lot of insulation, but they’ve been fine for me down to -3 or -4. If the new ones have thinsulate I think my feet would be melting in any temperatures I could actually ride in.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Defroster Trail’ is closed to new replies.