Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Specialized Captain 29er rubber – any good?
  • bullheart
    Free Member

Anyone? looking at getting some, and looking for some reviews…

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

Was using them on my stumpjumper HT (s-works version).
    Sidewalls on them are a bit delicate.
    Swapped the rear for fast trax (control version with thicker sidewall)after winter for a while but now have a pair of fast trax as it’s so dry.
    Great intermediate tyre I think and they will be going back on at the end of the year.
    I have the same tyres for my 26″ as well

I think thay are good value for money and there are plenty of reviews on MTBR.com

MrTall
    Free Member

I like mine but i will say the sidewalls do appear a bit thin but to be fair i’ve done 1000+ miles on mine with no problems.

Pretty light and good traction and decent volume. IMHO a very good allround tyre.

I bought one for a mate and it exploded (at Mayhem if that’s an omen!) but i think he ran it at too low a pressure and he’s pushing 20st kitted up. Got mine at Cyclestore.co.uk and they included a free spesh tube with it.

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

Forgot to say that all mine have been fitted tubeless with no problems on Stans rims.

Got one on the back of my Lynskey Rohloff.
    I can’t tell all the subtle differences between tyres that other people claim to. It just seems like a light fast tyre to me.
    No sidewall problems. 95kg at 50psi ghetto tubeless.
    Bought it second hand. Can’t remember when, but I’ve done at least 1000km on it since then and it still looks good.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Bullheart, if you want to try one for cheap mail me as I have an S Works version that has only seen a few outings that you can have for £8 😀

lucien

Good tyre, light and fast rolling. Non armadillo / S-Works version are very (very) thin and I have slashed a couple on sharp rocks. UST versions seal very well and I have had no problems on Stans / Mavic or Spesh rims.

Currently running a 2.2 upfront on an XC bike with a SB8 on the rear and have managed to get some 2.4’s which I fancy running on a bigger bouncing bike.

pypdjl
    Free Member

I concur, not bad tyres but the sidewalls on the s-works versions won’t survive long if you ride anywhere rocky.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Captain 29er rubber – any good?’ is closed to new replies.