Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Specialized Camber 29 Fork upgrade question advice please
  • jezhooperman
    Free Member

I have a 2013 Specialized Camber 29 Carbon with 110mm Reba RL, which has been a great fork for my ageing lardy body. I tend to ride cross country and trail, no jumps, a bit of technical, small drop offs etc. no intention to race.

My challenge is I bought some new DT Swiss Tricon wheels with 15mm front axle so need to upgrade fork to use 15mm axle, deliberate choice as wanted to stiffen front end and do justice to the wheels.

I really like Rockshox forks and run RCT3 revs on my 26 Stumpy which are brilliant for how I use the bike, also prefer maintenance schedule over Fox. The trouble is if I want RCT3 I only have the choice of the SID with 120mm travel or possibly pay to get some Revs reduced to 120mm.

So need some advice please

Will it be ok running 120mm on the Camber accepting slight change in geometry, height rise and some slackening of head angle. Specialized allow 10% increase to maintain frame warranty.

Will 2013 SID be ok as general fork, concern that is primarily racing fork however I can get a new spring assembly to reduce travel to the correct 110mm – more cost. I have reserved a 2013 SID for Christmas – bless my better half.

Hold out for 2014 Rev RCT3 and get it reduced to 120.

Advice thoughts eagerly sought – preferably polite please.

Thanks in advance

JCL
    Free Member

You’ve answered your own question. Rev’s to 120mm. Camber Evo C’s are coming with Pikes at 120mm…

jezhooperman
    Free Member

Thanks – Does this mean they made no changes to EVO frame over standard ?

JCL
    Free Member

Main frame is the same. Just a tweak in geometry via the clevis link that actuates the shock.

Regarding the 10mm+ extra bar height, you can either remove stem spacers (if you still have any) under the stem or run a flat bar to get the desired position. Personal preference but you will probably find the bars relative to the BB on the Camber higher than the 26″ Stumpy. Especially with the travel increase.

The slight head angle slackening, about half a degree or so with the slight extra A-C of the Revelation, will be great. The slackening of the seat angle which you might just feel on the steepest of climbs would be worth the trade off IMO. Ideally move the seat forward on the rails a little to compensate.

tonyg2003

Why don’t you just buy some bolt through lowers for the current Reba’s you have?

I’ve got a 2012 Camber carbon comp and Fox forks which seem to be pretty stiff. I did initially wonder about changing the lowers for bolt through but in the end I just left them as was.

weeksy

my Fox forks in the classifieds 🙂

jezhooperman
    Free Member

Many thanks – still have some spacers so should be able to lose most of increase in height.

jezhooperman
    Free Member

Tonyg2003 – it’s a good idea but cost of new lowers and maxle plus would be very similar to new forks and selling Reba’s. I’ve found the SID’s at £429 hence cost difference would be pretty close. With Reba and SID sharing same components now I thought SID might work as general fork plus RCT3 Revs option made a big difference on the Stumpy over original RL’s I had.

Sadly struggling to find 120mm Revs at similar price, as it looks like I need to go for dual position version.

jezhooperman
    Free Member

Weeksy nice forks but Fox need too much servicing for me, thanks for the response though.

JCL
    Free Member

Just go for 140mm RT3C Solo Air Revelaions and run a 20mm spacer.

jezhooperman
    Free Member

From what I’ve read I think new Revs need a new spring assembly, they removed the spacer option on post 2012 forks.

That’s progress for you.

tonyg2003

I suspect that you are right Jez. Unless you are lucky enough to find someone with some space lowers.

Getting 120mm 29er Reba’s seems like finding hens teeth. I’m putting together a new 29er build and rather than pay the £700+ for some Fox forks I’ve bought some Manitou Tower Pro. 120mm, bolt through and £226 at the moment. They seem to get good reviews but are maybe 100grs heavier that the RS/Fox equivalents.

JCL
    Free Member

From what I’ve read I think new Revs need a new spring assembly, they removed the spacer option on post 2012 forks.

That’s progress for you.

Is that right. Crap!

I don’t see how they can make them serviceable without making it possible to put a spacer under a Solo air spring piston? It’s such a simple design.

jezhooperman
    Free Member

Sadly I’ve read a few posts now which seem to confirm it. And £70 for the privilege ! That and the additional cost of the revs probably takes them out of my budget.

Read a few reviews on 2013 SIDs which suggest they may be more robust and share same parts as Reba, weights are pretty much identical, they just don’t make a Reba with RCT3 so not sure if SID is now the top end Reba? Rockshox site misleading as SID RCT3 is xc and SID RTL is shown as Trail.

Convinced you are right re REVs way to go just looking pretty pricey.
    Would be interested if anyone has experience of using the latest SID’s for trail riding.

Cheers for replies to date.

dantsw13

Have you considered the X-fusion Slide? 120mm, tapered, 15mm axle for £300? Reviews are excellent – I will be ordering in a few weeks when finances allow for my Ti Fireline build.

jezhooperman
    Free Member

Dan looks interesting , will find out more – thanks

jairaj

FYI, 2013 Rock Shox Reba and SID share the same chassis. SID gets lighter and better internals.

Speak to Loco or TF etc .. see how it would cost to bring your Reba upto SID spec with the 15mm lowers too. Might turn out to be more cost effective and you get to keep the correct amount of travel … or might not worth asking though.

jezhooperman
    Free Member

Bit the bullet and ordered some 2014 Revs 140mm travel from CRC – it looks like I can get a new spring assembly from Petra cycles to reduce them to 110mm.

Thankfully being Christmas – the other half has called an amnesty.

Thanks for everyone’s contribution

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Camber 29 Fork upgrade question advice please’ is closed to new replies.