Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Specialized Butcher Grid/Ryde Edge 28 rim tubeless – tire wobble
  • beer247
    Free Member

Tried to set the above up tubeless last night. Taped the front rim up with 25mm Superstar tape and installed the tire, tire was a bit of a tight fit (had to use tire levers to get the last bit of bead on).

As with my previous wheelset the butcher inflated straight away with the bead pinging as it seated. There was a bit of air escaping from the valve hole (probably my dodgy rim taping!) but i added sealant and it seemed to seal any leaks.

Now as i was checking that the bead had seated evenly i noticed that there was a wobble as the wheel rotated. On closer inspection i made sure that the guide line on the sidewall was even all the way around.

Any idea whats causing this? I sprayed the bead with a fairy liquid & water solution and have inflated/deflated a couple of times, but the wobble is still there.

The tire is about 10 months old.

devash
    Free Member

I had the same problem with a Ground Control Grid. It was an absolute mission to get it on the rim (tight as hell) and once inflated there was a noticeable wobble. On closer inspection the problem was that the bead hadn’t seated properly.

Installing the tyre with an inner tube and pumping up to 60 psi, then leaving it over night sorted it for me.

Tracey

Probably needs to be deflated and inflated again, they pop easier when using a compressor. I have found that the Butchers are harder to pop than the Purgatory’s. Specialized have a good user guide on how to go tubeless. It made it easy even for me.

http://www.specialized.com/media/whatsnew/IG0290_revA.pdf

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem with a 27.5 butcher grid on a stans arch ex, the bead is even, it’s sealed well and the rim is sealed with 1 layer of yellow tape. I think the carcass is slightly deformed.

richardthird

I too had the bulge in a secondhand Ground Control on a Flow, although bead seated well and even up to 60psi with a tube in. Gave up on it but a new one was fine.

superfli
    Free Member

Mine wobbles a fair bit as if the wheel is buckled. The tyre is wonky. I’m not sure when this happened, but am pretty sure it wasnt like it when new.
    I ignore it, its only really cosmetic, it doesnt affect my riding.

beer247
    Free Member

Hmmmm, it definately looks as though its seated properly. I don’t dare take it past about 40psi – don’t think the wife would be too impressed with a kitchen decorated with sealant!

The tread is almost on its way out anyway (trying to be a cheapskate!) so think i might purchase another.

Hopefully that will solve it!

Tracey

Blew 2 Purgatorys and 2 Butchers up to 65psi at the weekend 29″ on Rovals and 26″ on LBs. Its a bit unnerving but none of them popped fully till 55psi. Had to redo a Butcher with soapy water to make it pop.
    They were new tyres, having a purge on changing most to tubeless. 4 sets to go.

beer247
    Free Member

Is it the width of the rim that makes the tyre hard to seat completely?

I tried one last time earlier, soaped the bead up liberally and gave it another go.

The bead snapped into place straight away, kept pumping and got up to around 50psi just to be sure.

Still a bloody wobble…..I give up!

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I got the same rim…hans damf and magic mary….nightmare to get on. I had to put them in ovem=n for 15mins…then they popped on.
    Inflated straight away and running sweet

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Butcher Grid/Ryde Edge 28 rim tubeless – tire wobble’ is closed to new replies.