Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Specialized butcher control vs…?
  • craighill
    Free Member

Currently have a butcher control front purgatory rear, no sure if it’s the conditions or the tires, but I’m not getting on with them, it’s pretty muddy everywhere at the moment and these tires are not working well

I have been out of the trail/am game for a little while, but on my dh bike I ran magic Mary’s front and rear, and found them great, my last am bike had hans dampf front and rear, also found them great, but neither of them were ridden in pretty muddy conditions

My question is, anybody who has run the butcher control aswell as dampf/magic mary? I’m thinking of going magic mary trailstar front hans dampf pacestar rear

Northwind

I’ve got Mary front, Butcher rear at the mo, really like it. Good grip but also the butcher slides beautifully when it does let go. Not really sticky enough rubber for a front in anything but the dry, for me. Baron/Butcher is my normal mud combo and a better allrounder, Mary’s pretty underwhelming at hard stuff inc wet/muddy rock but brilliant at mud. Not sure what I’ll stick with, both really good.

I gave up on the purg, it’s barely faster rolling than the butcher but miles less grippy, and cloggier to boot. Hans Dampf is alright but also can be very cloggy, wasn’t convinced myself, I think it got a lot of attention just for being the first ever schwalbe trailbike tyre that didn’t suck balls…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have Purg grid on both my HT and FS, really good all round rear tyre, from lakes rockfest, to local mudfest. Butcher up front on both, which is okay, but I fancy a change to something a bit better in the grotty stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I think your running a pretty mint winter setup already, if I replace my HR2’s ill be going back to your exact setup (but a purgatory grid on the back)

try dropping front pressure a little, makes a massive difference in the wet/slidy/slop

PJM1974
    Free Member

It depends on the type of mud. The South Downs chalky stuff quickly overcomes most tyres and you wind up having to stop to scrape it off every few hundred yards on a bad day. There’s nothing that’ll overcome that.

The wetter, runnier stuff is slippery and treacherous and needs a tyre tread that cuts through the excess moisture to find some grip. I highly recommend the Specialized Storm in the winter months. It’s a superb tyre, not nearly as draggy as it looks and it’s a viable year round option for the front too.

kja78
    Free Member

Second the storm controls, have run them over winter for a few years now and nothing else comes close to their ability to shed the claggy clay mud we have round here. I’ve been tempted to leave them on all year round but I tend to find them just a little too twitchy when it’s dry though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

storm controls appeal, but too narrow and skinny and useless around rocks in the peak district, well not useless but you’d be very wary trying to blast down rocky chutes at speed with those on, unlike on a purg/butcher combo

hainman
    Free Member

Ran Magic/Damf set up at a very sloppy muddy Inners Uplift on Saturday and was good,no incidents compared to the Perf Compound Big Bettys that came on the bike,Just a bugger getting them on and off,with punctures on my MTX Rims.

VanHalen

i’m runnign a butcher front and i`m suprised how low pressure i need to run for it to feel nice.

acidchunks

Storm DH is allegedly 2.3″ wide according to the spesh website.
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftb/mtb-tires/freeridedh-tires/storm-dh

The Hillbilly looks pretty similar to the storm DH but possibly bigger http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftb/mtb-tires/freeridedh-tires/hillbilly-dh

craighill
    Free Member

I think I am going to get a magic mary for the front and stick the butcher on the rear

craighill
    Free Member

I think I am going to get a magic mary for the front and stick the butcher on the rear

Northwind

acidchunks – Member

Storm DH is allegedly 2.3″ wide according to the spesh website.

It’s not far off it. But weighs as much as a house and rolls similiarly!

smatkins1
    Free Member

I was quite happy running butchers front and rear last winter, they are a good all round tyre. I ran purgatory’s in the summer but took them off after the first hint of mud. I couldn’t get them to ‘bite’ in the corners, and kept washing out at speed. I have a massive scar on my arm from washing out with a purgatory on fly tipper in the Surry Hills, and a scar on my chin from washing out in a race thanks to those tyres.

Since these events I’ve been running Hans Dampfs which have been great grip wise so far this winter, but I am finding my rear wheel is clogging up easily recently. This is a clearance issue for me though. If I was doing more gravity riding I would put a Magic Mary on the front. But since I’m propelling the bike under my own steam most of the time, I won’t be doing this.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Specialized butcher control vs…?’ is closed to new replies.