Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Specialized Butcher Control 2.3 – how do they size up?
  • devash
    Free Member

I know these are a popular front tyre on here, but how do they size up compared to 2.3 Purgs and Ground Controls?

Similar carcass size, or a bit bigger / smaller?

I’m currently running 2.3 Purg front and 2.3 GC rear on my 26″ full sus but fancy something a bit more grippy on the front for the wet weather.

jimjam
    Free Member

About the same size as a 2.3 purgatory.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks jimjam.

Tracey

The Butchers I have look a little bit wider than the Purgatory’s that I run

Northwind

26er? Measures 2.3 inches, miraculously enough 😆 I guess they just get maxxis to make them but do the measuring inhouse. I can’t remember what size of purgatory I had to compare though.

The control version’s not the softest rubber… I love the 26er butcher as a rear, it’s superb but I found it a wee bit abrupt on the front, ymmv of course. IIRC the Grid is a little stickier?

Tracey

Both the Purgatory’s that have arrived today, on offer at £19.99, measure 57mm across the tread, can measure a Butcher tonight if you want.
    The old Enduro and Clutch Control 2.3 are a lot wider by comparison

rocketman
    Free Member

True to size ime

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’m running the 26″ Butcher/Purgatory Control combo and the Butcher is marginally wider.

devash
    Free Member

@ Northwind

I’ve just noticed on the Specialized.com site that the Control / Grid differ in compound;

Control – 50a across the board

Grid – Base 70a / Top 42a

The Grid is much heavier though. Will see how I get on with Control.

bigjim

I find the control casing OK on the front but they don’t last as well on the back, sidewalls tend to start wearing and sealant weeps a bit.

The grid casing on the Butcher and Slaughter is now heavier/tougher than the grid casing on their other tyres.

core

I couldn’t make a control casing work on the front tubeless, 15st rider, hardtail, non techy trails, would not stop flexing and burping, even at high pressures.

Tracey

Measured them both, pumped up to 30 psi on Roval traverse rims. Purgatory is 60mm edge of tread to edge of tread. Butcher 65 mm across the same. The Butcher also looks like it has a rounder tread profile than the Pergatory if that makes sense.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks Tracey!

smatkins1
    Free Member

After switching from a 2.35 Schwalbe, my 2.3 Butcher looks like a 90’s XC tyre.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Butcher Control 2.3 – how do they size up?’ is closed to new replies.