Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Specialized bomb proof warranty?? My arse, war about to commence, I need help!!
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Right up to the point when the bearing siezes solid and rotates in the seat. Now that will make a mess…

true, but have you ever seen it happen? IME bearings fall to bits with excess wear, not seize.

Woody
    Free Member

Its like people who expect mech hangers ot be covered under warranty. Even after you calmly and clearly explain to them why they are there and that they are designed to fail

Designed to fail…….in what way ?

And where is kaesae ?

hora
    Free Member

Has anyone hit anything with a rock yet?

haggis1978

Njee20: i’m not comparing car bearings to those used on a bike i’m implying that car warranties are similar in that if you take your car to a garage after almost a year as there’s wire sticking out your tyre they’re going to say ‘wear and tear’ as you’ve been tanning your motor much the same as we hammer our bikes up and down mountains.

SimonfBarnes: so are you saying you can’t and never have regreased a bearing? don’t be ridiculous man! the seal got in there without being damaged so sure as hell you can remove it and re-insert it if you’re careful.
    But yes you are right bearings are cheap (ish) and supposed to be maintenance free………for riding in California or Utah or somewhere like that without our mud where these bikes were designed. All i was trying to put across is that if you look after your bike and its components then they will last a lot longer.
    Another example is a bike chain, do you leave your bike chain all sh1tty after a ride or do you clean it after every ride and then periodically run it through a degreaser bath?

Foxy, Yes a lot of companies do offer a lifetime warranty on their bearings because they know bearing inevitably screw up if not looked after. Marin started this all a few years back probably to help promote their full sus designs after a few years in the wilderness whilst watching Trek and Specialized really take off as mountainbiking became more for the masses and now several other companies have jumped on the band wagon. I remember getting the sales talk from bike shop about the lifetime bearing warranty myself. It is a very good idea and very good customer service but not a statutory requirement in the bicycle industry

haggis1978

Woody: a replaceable rear mech hanger is designed to snap as aluminium is a brittle material, well more brittle than steel or titanium. in the early 90’s this was one of the more common places for a frame to snap so the replaceable rear mech hanger was invented so that when one snapped it didn’t mean replacing a frame

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks Haggis – I know that. I read ‘rear mech’ as I had bearings/jockey wheels in mind and missed the hanger part. Doh!

Must not post until awake in future 😳

foxyrider
    Free Member

haggis1978 – I was not saying its requirement – I just think it reflects the trust they probably have in the longevity of their frame design/bearing sealing? My Five’s bearings after nearly 3 years are still as smooth as anything compared with my old Spesh!! Oh and I only have 2 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Didn’t realise this thread was still rolling on after my last post. Anyhoo justice has been served because of my bad attitude and lack of maintenance have resulted in my bike still being in the shop awaiting fixture, on what’s been a beautiful weekend!! So instead I’ve just drank Stella!

vorsprung
    Free Member

mech hangers … are designed to fail

[b]Woody[/b]

Designed to fail…….in what way ?[/quote]

they bend so the frame doesn’t

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Specialized bomb proof warranty?? My arse, war about to commence, I need help!!’ is closed to new replies.