Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Specialized bomb proof warranty?? My arse, war about to commence, I need help!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Bike not a year old yet (by a month), took it in with a few issues, apparently rear hub is not covered (bearings ****), rear swing arm bearings not covered (creaking). WTF? Fookin piss is boiling! Anyone had similar issues??

Bagstard
    Free Member

Wear and tear surely! Did you ask for new brake pads too?

Seamus
    Free Member

Surely bearings are consumables, I wouldn’t expect them to be covered by a warranty

wwaswas

I’m with bagstard – bearings are wear and tear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bearings are consumables, very few manufacturers cover them, off the top of my head Marin do for free, and Trek did for 1p (stock controll apparently) but I’m not sure anyone else does?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’ve neglected to look after your bike properly. Why should that be covered under warrenty?

GaryLake
    Free Member

I can sort of feel his pain. It’s only 11 months old and Marin and Whyte offer lifetime on bearings.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes I have had similiar issues parts do in fact wear out with use
    You are being unrealistic in what you expect a warranty to cover.

wrightyson
    Free Member

They shouldn’t be on the **** bike if they can’t stand up to the warranty surely?? Improve the quality, it’s not like I ride the **** thing every day!!

peachos
    Free Member

santa cruz cover bearings on the vpp frames don’t they? but yeah agreed, why would you even begin to think that bearings are covered by warranty?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ow the **** can you maintain swing arm bearings??

wwaswas

well, they’re not covered by the warranty so why would they make them any better?

and, tbh, making seals and bearings on bikes last indefinetly would add so much weight and friction you wouldn;t be able to ride the thing.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Bagstard – Member

Wear and tear surely! Did you ask for new brake pads too?

^this. Did you ask for a new chain and gear cables as well?

stumpy01

I’d say the rear hub bearings is a service/maintenance issue – how did they get ‘****’??

And it depends on how much use you’ve had out of the frame, as to whether you’d expect the swing arm bearings to be knackered or not….I would be miffed if mine went in a year, but mine gets ridden once or maybe twice a week and I don’t really hammer my bike (as I’m a big girls’ blouse)……

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They may not be covered by the warranty but they will be by the sale of goods act

You would have to show that it was not reasonable for the bearings to fail this quickly tho to have a claim under SOGA

robdob
    Free Member

It’s creaking because there is grit around the pivots probably. Whip back end off, clean it up and put some fresh grease on all mating surfaces. My Pitch creaked a bit so I did this and it’s sorted.
    Learn how to maintain a bike if you are going to buy an expensive and complex one.

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon – but they are just not warranty issues. Learn to do some maintenance.

nonk
    Free Member

you people with you claims man 🙄
    you can destroy bearings in a week if your unlucky, its no ones fault it’s just how it is.

maybe you shouldnt have a mountain bike.

robdob
    Free Member

If it’s the M475 Shimano hub like on my bike then they have crap sealing. Proper maintenance should ensure they last a while but I just ran it until it failed and got sone Hopes. Only regressed the hub once and it was good after that but didn’t want to have to keep doing it.

Dumb Specialized owner bomb proof warranty?? My arse, war about to commence, I need help!!(16 posts) (13 voices)

Fixed it for you.

votchy
    Free Member

Wheel and suspension bearings on a car are covered by the manufacturers warranty, why should a bike be different?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Warranty is what the manufacturer says it is

Sale of goods act rights are different.

wwaswas

votchy – if you’re prepared to accept the weight and stiction of car bearings on your bike I’m sure they’d be happy to oblige.

wrightyson
    Free Member

**** you robdob!! ****

j_me
    Free Member

Your tyres are looking a bit worn. How many inner tubes have you been through in the past 11 months?

tragically1969
    Free Member

🙄 Ask them to stick some new grips on under warranty too, they are probably a bit worn by now…….

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

If you’d cracked it, or the bearings had worn out in a month, or they’d worn out quickly due to frame misalignment (as was common on the 2002 Enduro) you’d have a valid warranty claim.

As it is, you’ve ridden your bike and things you’d expect to wear out have worn out. Bearings are like tyres, chains and grips. They wear with use, and as a result you’ll have to pay to replace them.

crazy-legs

Hub bearings are nothing to do with Specialized, that’s Shimano you want to be talking to. Or you could learn to service the hub.

Frame bearings – I can kind of sympathise with you cos a year isn’t *that* long in the lifetime of a bike but it’s still a cheap disposable item that requires maintenance.

Any shop will tell you exactly the same, that’s not a warranty claim, it’s normal wear and tear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fookin piss is boiling!

They shouldn’t be on the **** bike if they can’t stand up to the warranty surely?? Improve the quality, it’s not like I ride the **** thing every day!!

Ow the **** can you maintain swing arm bearings??

**** you robdob!! ****

TBH with an attitude like yours, your more likely to be removed form the premisis by the police for verbal assault than make a successfull warrenty claim!

I once got a new chain and cassette after 6 months out of halfords, being polite works wonders 🙂

angryratio
    Free Member

right, so.. the hub which is oem crapola would cost 20 quid to change like for like, bearings will cost say 14 quid if you get them off ebay.
    Just pay for it. Thats what everyone else has to do. Also, Specialized don’t hide what the warranty covers. It’s available to read online or in your local dealer.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ll ask again, how do you clean it?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ll ask again, how do you clean it?

With either boiling piss or a sand blaster

wrightyson
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll be paying then!!! Can totally understand the hub, but the swing Arm bearings just seems ridiculous, on a suss bike it’s surely something that’s going to be moving through every single pedal stroke, in fact they even move when your at the top of a hill, not moving, dying for breath leaning against a tree. I just assumed they’d be up to a bit more! Would this be the same scenario if I’d spent more money originally??

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think bearings are hit and miss really. Some could last for ages, or go to the alps for a couple of weeks and come back and your bearings are ****.

There only cheap from ebay anyway.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You’ve neglected to look after your bike properly.

could you explain how one would set about “looking after” a swing arm pivot ? IME they’re quite inaccessible and the only service option available is replacement.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh jet wash of course!! Always warm soapy water and then a rinse off with just the hose end! Refuse to buy a jet wash in all honesty because I know I’d use it on my car, and the old wheels wouldn’t like it!!

j_me
    Free Member

would this be the same scenario if I’d spent more money originally??

Yes you would still be at the top of the hill “dying” for breath leaning against a tree.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

People have been groomed to accept poor service. You will get no sympathy here.

crazy-legs

Always warm soapy water and then a rinse off with just the hose end!

That would still do it for bearings TBH. Water tends to sit there in the bearing indent, it’s a pretty inaccessible place for proper cleaning so easier for it to start rusting almost unnoticed.
    I don’t mind the occasional jetwash but I’m quite anal about bike maintenance (I actually enjoy it!) and I also treat bearings as disposable items. Not really something to maintain, just take the hit whenever they need replacing. Sometimes you’re lucky and they’ll last 2-3 years, other times you might only get 6 months out of them.

Make sure when you replace them that you use the best quality ones you can get and fit them carefully with coppaslip or waterproof grease, it’ll help minimise creaking/wear etc.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

11 months for bearings ain’t amazing, but it’s not too bad, is it? but i probably missed the post where you described how they ended up wrecked, how it was a manufacturing defect… is it only that they have play?

EDIT: there’s a reason i haven’t had a full sus since 2000!

nonk
    Free Member

people expect the moon on a stick.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Specialized bomb proof warranty?? My arse, war about to commence, I need help!!’ is closed to new replies.