Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Specialized Allez/Secteur – any opinions?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I'm looking at getting one of these on bike to work before the changes come in. Given this is mostly going to be for commuting and a bit of fitness riding, does anyone have any thoughts about either of them or any alternatives around 500-600?

titusrider
    Free Member

they seem a safe bet, id be supprised if you couldnt get a better deal this time of year though. we have just had a giant defy 2 worth £800 for £660. Defy 3 was in your budget if there are any left

swisstony
    Free Member

Got my secteur through the BTW and use it for commuting
    It's my first road bike and I love it I've even signed up for a 100km race in October

cpon
    Free Member

I had (stole on Monday) an 2010 Allez sport which was excellent and would recommend one.

skiprat
    Free Member

I have an Allez Sport 18 and have found it to be great (so far) for general road riding/commute. Took a bit of time to set up the bars and stem after years of riding mouintain bikes but now its very comfy. Rather than going for the flat back racing style i went a bit more upright. All the kit works and to be honest, the frame and forks look like they'll last a good while and will take upgrades as and when needed.

All in all i'm happy with it.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Allez in red looks great but the Sect will be comfy.

Allez for a entry level road bike -can't lose.

Del

happy to be corrected but don't think the allez will take full guards?

timc
    Free Member

Have a Langster (Same Geo as Allez) and test rode both Allez & Secteur couple weeks back, ended up with a giant Defy! Just felt more comfortable!

tonyd

I had an Allez Elite as my first road bike, very happy with it. You might get a bit more for your money with a Scott though?

Edit for clarity: While looking for a road bike for the missus we tested Scott amongst others and I rated it quite highly. She ended up with a Spesh though as it was pink.

atlaz
    Free Member

Del – Member

happy to be corrected but don't think the allez will take full guards?

I heard they'd take the new crud road guards… but not really sure if that's true. That said, my current commuting hack doesn't have guards anyway so not that fussed.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Got a 2010 Allez Elite (the red one) – not qualified to compare to other road bikes but it seems good VFM and (to me) goes like the clappers! I think it's a lower spec model than previous Elites but was only £800 so not too pricey.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I have an Allez with crud race guards for commuting and the odd long day out. I love it.

A friend has the Secteur. It's more of a tourer and not so quick but is amazingly comfortable.

If I had the choice again, I'd go for a Tricross.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Teaboy – looked at the Tricross but it is pretty damn heavy compared to an Allez.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Surf Mat – yeah but my Allez restricts me to a road commute and I'd prefer the riverside/ moorland options. 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 Allez – I had an older vesion 07' – was great if a little harsh – got a cheap full carbon in the end but good value for money when I got it on the RTWS 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Teaboy – my MTB (pretty light XC hardtail) "does" that sort of riding quite well so went for the fairly "pure" Allez. TBH they aren't a million miles off each other in ride quality and style.

docrobster
    Free Member

I got an allez elite at the end of July. First road bike I've owned in years so not really much to compare it with, but it seems light and fast. With crap brakes compared to hydraulic discs!
    I liked the fact that it was a full groupset, not just a rear mech and shifters with cheap cranks and brakes, as seemed to be specced on other bikes around the same price. Helped that Edinburgh bicycle were doing 15% off in july as well.
    And the red colour does look good if that is important
    Mine is a 58, I'm a smidge under 6 foot. tried a 56 it felt too short. I've dropped the bars as low as they can go as it seemed quite high at the front as it came.
    There is a bottom bracket creak that appeared after not many rides. I'll have to have a look at that at some point.
    I think a secteur will be higher at the front? May be more comfy for commuting but as I said the allez seems fairly high. Head tube looks long.
    Mine is for weekend road rides and a triathlon this weekend. (main reason for entering a tri was to justify a new bike- so I suppose I'd better do it now!)
    I've commuted on it once- at 12+ hilly miles it's a bit too far for me to do regularly. It took me 10 minutes longer than it takes in the car.

warton
    Free Member

I've got an 08 allez elite. great entry level bike. frame is very upgradable, I've changed everything, now running full ultegra SL and kyrsium SLs (second hand). bike is now quite light. won't take full mudguards, but happily takes the crud mudguards.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I bought an Allez Elite in red on C2W a few weeks ago.

It's my first 'proper' road bike and I'm extremely pleased. Comfortable, quick and light, plus I think it looks better than it actually is.

I am chuffed to bits with it.
    I'm 6'3 and went for the 58 as the next size up just felt too high.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Allez/Secteur – any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.