Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Specialized Airlock Sealant – not good so far
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Aaaargh

Following an ’emergency’ change back to a mud tyre this afternoon I realised I was out of Stans sealant so nipped down to the LBS

They were out of stock of Stans but did have the Specialized stuff
    The bottle says tubeless compatable and the manager told me he uses it regularly

Hmmm

When I fitted the tyre it was obvious this stuff is thick and gloopy like slime rather than the other tubeless solutions/milks/etc

I just cant see how it will seal the small defects around the bead, its just too thick to spin around inside the tyre and get everywhere

Im wondering if anybody else has used this stuff tubeless?
    I fitted it and the tyre 3h ago and its been re-inflated twice since then despite some energetic spinning round the garden by the kids, my rims and tyre are ‘proper’ tubeless not ghetto if it helps

Currently not impressed – lots of slagging off from Google, including threads on here years ago

Anyone?

eshershore
    Free Member

Terrible stuff.

My two previous jobs were at specialized concept stores and we used stans in the workshop 😉

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

To be fair it’s really designed to be injected into an inner tube which is why you get a valve core remover with each bottle . If it actually says tubeless compatible on the bottle then they should re-word the packaging and you need to give the manager some feedback .

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eshershore
    Free Member

Problem is its advertised as ‘tyre sealant’…

simondbarnes

Problem is its advertised as ‘tyre sealant’…

It is, although the description only refers to use in tubes.

arogers
    Free Member

I made the same mistake. Awful stuff. I’ve been diluting it with Stan’s to use it up, which is working fine. Whether that’s the Stan’s doing all the work despite being watered down with the Spesh gloop I couldn’t tell you. It makes me feel less like I wasted £12 though..

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you’ve got some then save it , it’s great if you cant get a tubeless tyre up you put some spesh sealant round where the tyre bead sits it makes it difficult for the air to get out and makes it easy to get it to go up . It does squirt out a bit when the tyre seals so don’t do it in your kitchen .

AlasdairMc

Crap stuff. I was recommended it by Evans, it didn’t work, they sent me back to Specialized. I complained, got Stans, problem disappeared.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Glad Im not the only one

Despite what it says on the bottle, and what the LBS manager told me, its not fit for purpose in a tubeless set up – it may work as innertube slime but I cant comment on that

It just wont/cant seal the bead on the rim, Ive reinflated several times tonight
    My wheels and tyre are in good nick, the leak must be microscopic but it just wont do it

Grrrrr
    Grrrrr

Never again

scaredypants

rub it on the rim before you seat the tyre ? as Ramsey Neil suggests, it’ll lubricate and ease the seating but should also seal things up a bit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Airlock Sealant – not good so far’ is closed to new replies.