Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • specialized adaptalight for MTBing.
  • Xan
    Free Member

i have noticed that there are now selling on the net for around about the 50 quid mark and fancy a pair. Been reading all the descriptions and all seam to say they are for road riding. So guess the question i am askin can i use there on my mtb for trail riding. Wasn’t sure if they can work efficiently with all the sudden changes of light in a scottish trail centre. If not what does everyone use. 70 budget must be light cause i hate wearing glasses and either be good UV filter or be polarised lenses and have a selection of lens colours for different riding conditions.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve used them for MTBing – just make sure you get the yellow tint, not the red one. Never really had any problems going in and out of forests, but be aware that they never go absolutely clear. For me, that ruled them out for night riding. I’ve since replaced them with prescription Oakleys, otherwise I’d still be using them.

If you’re near West Edinburgh, you could borrow mine for a test ride

Xan
    Free Member

actually work in the gyle so that could be good thanks.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – PM me and we can set something up.

grumm
    Free Member

I got some of the yellow Chicane glasses for £20 from Total Fitness in Bath, not sure if they still have any left.

I really like them, visibility is very good even in low light/trees. They don’t steam up as easily as other glasses I’ve had.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Yes, they work great.

But do not use the road ones for MTBing.

Why?
    ‘Cos they’re too dark in the sun, and if like me you’re wearing them on a fast descent through dappled sunlight you won’t see that rock until it’s too late.

SB

druidh
    Free Member

The road ones use a red tint – which is apparently better for contrast in road/street conditions. The MTB ones use a yellow tint as that’s better for green/brown tones.

simondbarnes

Been reading all the descriptions and all seam to say they are for road riding

The road ones are for road biking, the mtb ones are for mountain biking.

Xan
    Free Member

so which models are mtb ones cause i can’t see them.

druidh
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

IN fact, there are quite a few here. The thumbnails show the lens colour and some of the names/decriptions help (e.g. “Berm” is obviously an off-road one)

simondbarnes

You’re probably only seeing some road models at £50 as they are the ones than SBUK had on special offer recently.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Got a set of mtb ones. Singletrack i think they are called. Were only 20 new from some place in bath. They are quite narrow, but i’ve got a narrow head anyways so its not a problem for me.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I got some Adaptalite El toro mtb ones from evans for £50, they are really good and work well in open sunlight and dense forests. Never had a problem of not being able to see because of them, wouldnt ride without them now.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/el-toro-adaptalite-glasses-ec011604

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/halftime-adaptalite-glasses-ec010939

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I’ve worn El Toros for a couple of years now. Like them so much I just bought another set from Evans for a nifty.

They never go completely clear but I wear them day and night all year round and they are absolutely fine.

Xan
    Free Member

Druidh, YGM

njee20
    Free Member

I have several pairs, my favourites are the Arc road ones, on or off road, I’ve got some Singletracks and something else as well, but don’t like them as much, I find the road ones go light enough to be fine off road, if it’s a really dull day I tend to wear totally clear lenses though.

trailmonkey

I love mine. Only downsides are :-

No good for night riding.
    They’re big, so you end up with Panda tan on hot days
    It takes a while for the lense to readjust so, in places like the Quantocks, you go from open moorland and 20/20 vision, to forest trails not really seeing much for a few seconds.

Still recommend them though.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Got the Singletrack ones. Really, really good. Best riding glasses I’ve used. Nice secure fit (little tight, but slacken up a bit with time). Don’t steam up (so far…). Adaptalite is good – I’ve used them snowboarding on a sunny day, then walked into our chalet (no natural light on the ground floor) and not felt the need to take them off.

Paceman
    Free Member

Do they steam up or are they well-ventilated?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘specialized adaptalight for MTBing.’ is closed to new replies.