Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Specialized 29er Tyres – not quite as confusing as Maxxis but still help me out.
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I am looking at replacing my worn out Maxxis Minion tyres and the Specialized look like good value. Not too familiar with them though – Am I right in thinking that Control or Grid is the sidewall strength? With Grid being the tougher?
    2Bliss means they are a tubeless tyre rather than a compound variation?

I actually see some similarities with Maxxis unless I’m getting it wrong:
    Looks like Butcher front and Purgatory rear is pretty much an all year round go to combo similar to Minions/HighRollers?
    With the Storm or Hillbilly a wet weather/loose condition option similar to a Shorty?

simondbarnes

Control or Grid is the sidewall strength? With Grid being the tougher?

Yes (although they have a tyre called the Ground Control which is available with a Grid casing just to confuse things)

2Bliss means they are a tubeless tyre rather than a compound variation?

Yes

Looks like Butcher front and Purgatory rear is pretty much an all year round go to combo

Yes, does seem to be a popular combo. I go for something a bit less aggressive as I’m a complete mincer (Purg front, Ground control grid rear)

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks Simondbarnes. Actually looking at it maybe the Hillbilly could be a decent front option for me. What combos are other folk trying?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dahedd
    Free Member

Recently fitted a grid to the rear of my Stumpjumper 29er. Cannot fault it at all. Coped well with trail centre hard packed stuff plus local roots & mud.

Going tubeless was a doddle.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t use them up front as they don’t really do a tyre that’s as good as the magic Mary, or I would, as I really like the grid casing. Butcher is too sketchy at speed on mud and roots for me.

Purg grid is good on the year, slaughter grid is fantastic.

If you ride in Rocky conditions at all, avoid control casing. And yes, they’re all tubeless.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Nobeer – why do you rate the slaughter better than the purg?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Its faster, and as long as you lean it a wee bit in corners, it grips better.

I was a wee bit concerned about straight line brake grip/traction up muddy climbs, but it belies its looks, a very pleasant surprise.

bigjim

On my fs 29er I run a butcher grid up front most of the year, it’s fantastic, pretty tacky so tons of grip but not as fast rolling as a harder compound. I ran them both ends for a summer and while the grip levels were hilarious it was pretty draggy on the flats and climbs. It’s a pretty similar design to the minion dhf/onza aquila/vittoria goma

Control casing is fine for general biking and I use them on the hardtail.

Purgatory is a good rear, not sure I’d use one on the front personally. I used butcher/purgatory for years but not so keen on the purg on the big bike out back.

If you want to enter geek territory, the butcher and slaughter grids are a tougher and heavier grid casing than the other grid casings, to suit their use in endooooro. One of the specialized tyre guys is or was active on the mtbr forums if you want to go full geek. There’s a new butcher in development as seen on jared graves’ bike. Oh and I think they’re basically maxxis tyres anyway, or same factory or something. I’m spent.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you think the grip levels are hilarious bigjim, try a Mary, it’s like cheating! :mrgreen:

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks big Jim. Did you run any of the above on the back of your Smuggler? No issues with rubbing?

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Hillbilly grids are fantastic tyres. I much prefer them to my Magic Mary’s.
    Slaughter is a great rear tyre too. I’m not really a fan of the butcher though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you think the grip levels are hilarious bigjim, try a Mary, it’s like cheating!

Until you ride it a handful of times & the knobs start falling off.

And you would it grips, it drags like a bitch…

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hob Nob what do you use?

superstu
    Free Member

I do like spec tyres but as per previous threads they can weep a lot of sealant.

I run a storm on the rear 9 months a year given the amount of wet weather riding I’m faced with!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Until you ride it a handful of times & the knobs start falling off

Last one lasted me 14 months of munros, lakes, west of Scotland slop and even a week in the Sierra nevadas. Supergravity FYI. I reckon 14 months of a 16 stone guy amount of abuse is no bad.

I really can’t think of a tougher mix of conditions.

I haven’t tried a hillbilly, as they don’t do it in 650b for some stupid reason.

And you would it grips, it drags like a bitch..

Not quite sure of your typing, but dragging isn’t much of a problem on a front tyre for me.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Both of my bikes run Butcher/Purgatory, in 27.5 and 29er varieties, respectively.

I really, really like them. I’ve been a bit of a habitual tyre changer, but I’ve never had an issue with these. In the deepest winter months it’s too gloopy for even a Hilbilly/Storm, my limited experience with the latter was positive, until I had to winch them three miles up a steep road climb to get to my local trails.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Hob Nob what do you use?

I chop and change, but specialized of choice would be a Butcher Grid front & Slaughter grid on the back.

Normally on Maxxis though

My last Magic Mary lasted approximately 3 days on non bike park riding in Whistler – even for me, that’s an impressive rate of wear (on the front). 50/75% of the side knobs had small to significant tears 🙂

survivor

I’m a specialized tyre fan….

Butcher/Pergatory Grid for the Summer then it’s straight onto the Storms for winter. It’s a fantastic mud tyre but isn’t keen on overly rocky terrain due to only having control casings. Wish they’d do it in grid but have a hillbilly to try this year

Great tyres and cheap compared to the competition.

bigjim

No issue with specialized tyres on the smuggler, the purg actually comes up smaller than I like in 29 so I don’t use it any more on that bike though I really liked it on 26″. The only tyre I’ve had that pretty much rubs the stay bridge is the Vigilante, but it is huge. I’ve just got a Breakout to fit, it doesn’t look as big as the Vig so should be fine. Even heavier than grids in 29 though.

Not a big fan of schwalbe, they seem to disintegrate quickly and are pretty expensive. Hans dampf does seem good as a rear unless it is muddy though, when it clogs rapidly and doesn’t clear well, though the knobbles seem to tear easily. This also applies when riding in dog poo too!

bigjim

Having said that I do have an unused 29×2.2 purgatory I need to get rid of if you want to give it a go. I can’t remember if it’s grid or control, will need to dig it out of a box to have a look. Personally I like a big grippy rear on the smuggler, not sure why but it I feel it needs something really grippy on the back, though I do tend to ride fairly steep tweed valley stuff.

Oh the grid purgatory isn’t the same soft 42 compound as the grid butcher, just to keep you confused, it’s just the tougher grid casing.

Northwind

Main issue I always had with them is that they tie compound to sidewall- and the Control rubber tends to be fairly hard. So I wanted the performance and grip of a control Butcher on the back, often, but I’d rather have the grid carcass. And on the front I want the sticker rubber of the grid but I don’t need the bulk. Annoying. It’s like if 3c maxxi only came in double down and dual maxxi only came in lightweight singleply.

Sadly the fat Captain has died, best rear tyre ever made that. I’d fellate Mike Sinyard in return for a supply of 2.4 29er control Captains.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I might just go Butcher Grid front and back – seems like a decent Minion alternative….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gkw, I have a butcher and purg, both 29er grid, butcher is a wee bit worn, purg in good Nick, you can have them for price of postage if Ye want, gimme a PM.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Nobelinthefridge – very kind of you, have sent a PM.

smokinsnakes
    Free Member

For those who have a Smuggler… Have you tried the GOMA 2.4 on the rear? I’ve got a 2015 model.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Specialized 29er Tyres – not quite as confusing as Maxxis but still help me out.’ is closed to new replies.