Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Specialized 2006 Stumpjumper FSR pivot bearings.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Wife's bike had one collapse at the weekend so I'm in the process of taking the old ones out. The Horst link has two bearings per side. There also seems to be a washer in between. Will these two bearings and the washer just press through of is there a lip on the mount between the bearings like the older frames with the stepped spacer going through the middle?

Anyone had one of these apart?

bassspine
    Free Member

if you're very lucky you can get them out with persistence patience and a careful hand. Or get to a specialized dealer with a puller kit, where they can pop them out quickly, easily and cleanly.

there's an exploded diagram in the manuel (it's all right he's from Barcelona)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, I had a look at that one. It shows hidden detail on all the pivot mounts except the Horst link! Always the way isn't it!

bassspine
    Free Member

annoying. still, if you can get to a puller kit it makes the job soooo much easier it's unreal. I've done it with pinpunches and a hammer but as the bearing has collapsed leaving the outer race in the frame it's a right sod to get it out. But I expect you're already enjoying that one. good luck.

coatesy
    Free Member

Had a set apart on a mates bike recently, soaking the pivot in boiling water for a short while allowed the bearings to come out with only a small ammount of effort.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did have fun getting an outer race from a linkage bearing. I'll try the boiling water trick on the Horst link bearings, anything to make it easier. Is there a lip in the chainstays between the two bearings so that each has to come out from its own side or can I drift two through the same way at once? Anyone tried the V type bearings pullers like the Enduro bearings one? Anywhere that does similar tools in the UK? I've seen some lovely slide hammer/blind puller sets but I can't justify over £100 for this one job.

bonesetter
    Free Member

This may help some

bassspine
    Free Member

I seem to remember there was a lip in the middle on pretty much every bearing, so you can't drive the through. PITA.

the specialized kit uses several common tools for all the FSRs, so the enduro puller would be common to the stumpy one.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just seen a lovely TRIDENT T682200 blind puller set. Is it okay to spend so much on tools for one job? I only need one of the collets! Pants. Hate paying for someone to fit a bike for me. Has anyone tried one of the enduro pullers? Are they any good?

stumpyjon

How do the Enduro pullers work? Just shove em in, let them expand and pull?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think the lip on the enduro puller might be a bit deep for my needs. Shame, as the price was right. Had another bearing explode tonight so I'm now trying to remove the outer race from behind a lip of the same size!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've nearly won! All that's left now is one outer bearing race in the Horst link pivot. Promblem is, the lip it sits against is bigger than the bearing race. I can't get behind it well enough to drift it in the right direction.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Specialized 2006 Stumpjumper FSR pivot bearings.’ is closed to new replies.