Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Special circlip pliers required, help
  • muckytee
    Free Member

I am after a pair of circlip/snap ring pliers for this type of clip:

Has to be a proper tool, I’ve already tried bodging, just bent the clip

Anybody know where I might be able to get em, I’ll ask my local Snap on dealer, but aside from that I’ve no ideas

Thank you

tjagain

Are those not designed to come out with a pick hence the cutaway edge?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

to fit or remove? If fitting, can you not knock it on using a slightly bigger socket from a socket set?

mc
    Free Member

I have seen them, but I’ve not got a clue what they’re called and my google results are lacking.

Unless you’ve got lots to install, I’d be inclined to grind the tips on a pair of old and/or cheap long nosed pliers, as all you really need is a couple flat faces to spread the clip. If you’re feeling flush, you could probably use a dremel to make a couple grooves to help retain the clip better.
    Admittedly using a pair of normal long nosed pliers means you’ll need to spread the handles to open the clip, but it would work.

wwaswas

If they’re internal:

To fit, put one end in them run a ballpoint pen around the clip to seat it.

Removal is with a pick I thought?

Drac
    Cougar

FFS Drac, do I have to edit shit URLs from Moderator posts too now? (-:

mc
    Free Member

Those circlip pliers linked won’t work with that design of snap ring.

Drac

You could leave them 😀

RustyNissanPrairie

Flat snap ring pliers

Random google image
    https://goo.gl/images/xVWcQL

Snap on do them

muckytee
    Free Member

those snap rings are on my cars gear box main shaft I need to get them off to replace the bearings, then are quite thick, took more than a pick to remove them, two flat screw drivers and a lot of force.

I always prefer a proper tool £30 and many hours of pain, plasters and swearing saved.

This place being the fountain of all knowledge (it really is – never ceases to amaze me) thought I’d ask here

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Do Knipex have anything suitable?

kayak23

Constant section retaining rings they’re called. Not sure if a tool is readily available.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I got it out with an Opinel last night*, changing the bearings on a HOPE hub. Are these much sturdier? I was able to get them back in by squezing them with one hand and pushing with the knife.

*am off to the hospital later. It got me in the eye and have a very sore eyeball. Wear safety specs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Special circlip pliers required, help’ is closed to new replies.