Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Spec my wife a bike
  • dropoff

Budget is 2k fixed, must be full suss. She currently rides a reign x0 which is a bit long in the tooth and needs upgrading.
    Ride style is put up with the climbs and enjoy the downs.
    So what would you think would be a good new bike for her?
    Oh and to make it interesting shes only 5′ short
    And a demo must be available.
    thanks if you have any ideas on this one 🙂

wiggles
    Free Member

Whyte T130 sx ?

Comes in sizes down to xs and demo bikes available.

dropoff

Thanks Wiggles, hadn’t thought of Whyte bikes

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Interesting thread! sounds similar to me ..

matt_outandabout

The one that fits the best, especially being 5′.
    Mrs_oab is that height, and a mm or three here and there makes a massive difference to the fit.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    Trekster

Rocky Mountain?
    Mates gf has a Trek EX
    MrsT has a Spesh Myka ht(5.3ft)

As above, needs to go shopping for the one that fits, same as clothes/shoes etc 🙄

PrinceJohn

Whyte T130 sx

My 5’1″ missus test rode one of these in XS, was fine when she was riding it, but there wasn’t enough standover, she’s currently looking at the trek lush & a cube sting wls.

What we’ve learnt, is Orange make a very small 5 diva, juliana’s are rebadged small santa cruz’s with no real difference, the difference between canyon’s male & female bikes are the saddle, & colour.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’m kind of in this situation just now as I’ve promised the Mrs a new bike this summer and the one that I keep getting drawn to is the Saracen Ariel, but she’s not sure as she’s still very much a novice and currently rides an ancient Spesh Hardrock.

Will just need to wait and see if we can get a demo day somewhere near us late summer that has a few womens bikes as she can’t do any riding just now being 7 months preggers 😉

Trekster

Was just going to suggest the Saracen range as per weevil, a friend has one. I was in lbs today and they have just got their new stock in, cracking looking bikes. They’ve sold a DH one already…
    Another friend has a Diva.
    Yeti, SC and Ibis are popular around my patch….
    Cannondale are doing some nice bikes as is Merida, Orbea Rallon…………
    So much to choose from nowadays…..Here’s some reading

RM demo days http://www.bikes.com/en/demos

dropoff

Thanks for all the replies and info, obviously lots more choice than there used to be so more reading needed. I think finding demo bikes is still going to be a problem though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Extra Small Rocky Altitude/Instinct is probably worth a look if you can get a demo.

towzer

If near Oxford and want to try a 14 Orange 5 (not diva), gf is 4ft 10 and on a Myka 13″ HT.

dropoff

Towzer thanks for the offer, but we’re the other side of the country 🙂 Mike smith, what have you done ? Rocky mountain is practically spot on for the geo and bang out of order for the price 🙂 seems that everything has got longer and taller.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Towzer I’m near Oxford… 😉

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Tall leggy blonde…. Oh wait I read spec my wife….. Doh! As you were.

towzer

MC – does that mean you want a go ?

Trekster

dropoff – Member
    Towzer thanks for the offer, but we’re the other side of the country Mike smith, what have you done ? Rocky mountain is practically spot on for the geo and bang out of order for the price seems that everything has got longer and taller.

Check with your nearest RM dealer, there demo bikes and deals to be had.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 950carbon element is a great bike for the price, full XT and the Manitou fork is really good. The front end is carbon and the rear is alloy.

dropoff

just for the record the Canyon spectral AL 7 comes in under budget and is available in xs. Just incase anyone else is having the same issues.

PrinceJohn

just for the record the Canyon spectral AL 7 comes in under budget and is available in xs. Just incase anyone else is having the same issues.

The xs canyon standover is 3mm more than the xs whyte t-130 sx, when my gf test rode the whyte she struggled with standover… just putting that out there…as she’s 5’1″…

satchm00
    Free Member

Have you both considered a demo day?

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Demo-Weekend-2015

End of March at Cannock, theres a write up on it here

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Spec my wife a bike’ is closed to new replies.