Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Spec my weekend ride Afan or Doethie Valley
  • v666ern
    Free Member

Potentially got a free weekend, they are both the same distance from me though its an extra 45 mins to DV.
    Never ridden either.
    Loved Brecon Gap over the summer, hoping DV is a little less exposed than the top of BG if it hammers it down!?
    Mates raving about Afan (wall) but is it all that?

thank you 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Doethie is boggin’ in this weather and iirc a section of the bw has eroded away and been closed off.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Dothie Valley is wet in the middle of a summer draught, winter is the best time IMO as you expect to get wet.
    Not sure if the far section has been repaired or not, but I always prefer to drop in on the bridleway that passes through the farm. You miss the worst of the stop/start section, but get all the best bits towards the end.

Easy to combine with Cwm Rhaeadr as well and that is always fun.

whitestone
    Free Member

The BW down the valley will be boggy. The BW that’s been closed is the one from Saor Mynydd to Ty’n y Cornel – it was pretty bad (and closed) two years ago, it’s basically a deep slot in the track beginning about here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=276457&Y=253288&A=Y&Z=120. There’s an alternative BW to access the valley from Nant Llwyd http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=278097&Y=252308&A=Y&Z=120

No idea about Afan

Denis99
    Free Member

All the trails at Afan are fine.

No closures, rides very well and drains fast even after days of rain.

welshfarmer

The BW over Soar y Mynydd is now fixed and fine. We did Deothe back end of autumn in a dry spell. My mates who had done it before said it was the driest that had seen it. Based on this, and after the rain we have had so far this past 10 weeks, I recommend a snorkel and armbands. Cwm Rhaeader is great though and will ride well any weather.

Ambrose

There were a few problems with the access through Nant Llwyd farm a while back- does anyone know if they have been resolved?

If you liked The Gap there is also Sarn Helen to consider. The section from Ystradfellte to Libanus has some great bits.

v666ern
    Free Member

Hmm SH I’ll look into. Looks like it’ll be afan as my mate fancies it.
    WF it can’t be worse than here, the mud made my front wheel solid after 400 yards and was carrying after that

Denis99
    Free Member

Very little mud at Afan, even if it rains hard.

Hard pack weather proof trails.

therag
    Free Member

Start from skyline cafe of afan lodge for good food after the ride

oldnpastit

Afan is very good if the weather is poor.

I went at the end of last year in a howling gale with added rain, and apart from a few brief exposed bits at the top of Blade, it was fine.

v666ern
    Free Member

Thank you all – Afan it is 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Spec my weekend ride Afan or Doethie Valley’ is closed to new replies.