Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spec me some new 29er forks
  • carlos
    Free Member

Hi All,

Well not actually me but a friend. 29ers aren’t my thing.

He’s got a 2012 Spesh Carve Comp and currently has some tapered, 9mm QR, RS XC32 TK SL 100mm coil forks on it. Now he’s a big chap and wants to move over to air forks and away from coil.

I’m thinking that he’ll be OK with 120mm travel forks but no more (I’ll gladly be corrected on this though) due to the head angle, stresses on head tube etc…. and I’ve also said he might be better off just chucking the cash towards another bike with better kit on it, I think it was only £1300 new

So X-Fusion Slide RL2?? RS, Fox or any others to look at

Cheers
    Carl

danti

X fusion Trace have 34mm stanchions and can be internally reduced to 120mm.

aP
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the new Marzocchi 320 LCR forks? (100mm I know)

Shackleton

If he is used to coil forks X-fusion damping will feel terrible.

Manitou Tower pros are good vfm, stiff and solid performers for the larger gentleman (so long as you get the correct -ve spring). Not sure if they come in 9mm flavour though.

carlos
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say he is used to coil forks as he also rides (and more often) a 26″ Lapiare. The 29er feels better for him but the forks are terrible (his words) hence he’s looking to fit better forks and have a much more pleasant experience riding.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

What about some 120 Rebas? Get the pressure and rebound right and they’re lovely riding forks.

carlos
    Free Member

Thanks brown dog, it’s finding some in –

29er
    120mm
    Air spring
    Tapered steerer
    9mm QR (which is proving to be a pita)

The search continues…

monkeyboyjc

Magura Durin or TS8 would fit the spec?

jaymoid

Hmm the frame was made for a 100mm fork, and he’s been riding it with a 100mm fork and prefers it to his other bike. I’d be tempted just to get 100mm rebas

I also used to have the coil forks you are referring to, got rid of them pretty quickly (although went rigid), getting rid of them is definitely key here :). I also have some rebas on my 26er, I’ve not got rid of them. Recently serviced the lowers and enjoying their “like-new” feel!

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Well i have a 2014 Crave Comp and it comes with 100mm-travel RockShox Recon Gold TK 29 Solo Air fork w/ remote lockout as standard…which i’m very happy with…i found some online for £230

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spec me some new 29er forks’ is closed to new replies.