Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Spec me a proper mower please
  • Houns

I’m going to be in the lucky position of spunking a few grand of someone else’s money on a BFO ride on mower. Sadly this won’t be until next year, but the way as these things are we have to put the request in months before so the money gets added to next years budget.

Requirements:

It needs to mow approx 3 acres, uneven ground, grass (Of course) plus be able to cope with bracken, the odd bramble, balsam.

Large collection hopper that’s easy to empty

Robust/Can be given some tough love

Easy maintainence

Wide cut

Good product support/warranty

Cope with bumpy ground.

Powerful

Manouverable as needs to cut around trees in an orchard, picnic tables, posts etc.

Cope with slopes well without tipping over ( 😳 )

Added bonus (If such a thing exists) of use as a small tractor that could tow a trailer (Nothing massive, think less than a Gator load but more than a couple of barrows full)

Sadly my suggestion of a robo flail (So I could operate whilst sat drinking tea) was deemed unnecessary

Over to you!

timber

Etesia. 3 acres is about borderline for tolerable on a small machine.
    Tractor preferable; cab, stereo, air con. Many other uses for it. Kubota do plenty of smaller ones.

Check Saltex show if you have time to go before buying.

v8ninety

Westwood t25-4wd (if less spendy than above solution; you should really suggest a budget, and whether new/second hand)

Houns

Sorry, got distracted looking at John Deere website……

Would have to be new, budget, well needs to be kept in the 4 figure range, be good if I could give 3 options, low mid and high

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Could get a guy in?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You know where I help, I’ll ask there. But not for a week or two. PS I like the…

Four by four
    Big chunky tyres
    Wind-in-the-hair-lifestyle

… John Deere

km79
    Free Member

Requirements:

It needs to mow approx 3 acres, uneven ground, grass (Of course) plus be able to cope with bracken, the odd bramble, balsam. – no problem

Large collection hopper that’s easy to empty – self empties

Robust/Can be given some tough love – give it some love

Easy maintainence – can keep outside all weather

Wide cut – hmmm

Good product support/warranty – free replacements if you breed them

Cope with bumpy ground. – in it’s element here

Powerful – 1 sheep = 1 BSP

Manouverable as needs to cut around trees in an orchard, picnic tables, posts etc. – yep

Cope with slopes well without tipping over ( ) – no probs

Added bonus (If such a thing exists) of use as a small tractor that could tow a trailer (Nothing massive, think less than a Gator load but more than a couple of barrows full)- you’d need to improvise here

I think you just described a sheep, except for the last part, for that you could just attach a trailer to a sheep.

Houns

I would love to have sheep and/or goats, mainly for the one area of grass that is on a 35 degree slope and is a pain to cut (done with a regular mower not ride on!)

Thanks SOG

slowoldgit
    Free Member

km79 – you forgot – will have the bark off trees soon as your back is turned.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

– and start scavaging at picnic tables.

cranberry
    Free Member
    matthewmountain
    Free Member

Husqvarna 4wd rider. No grass hopper, but excellent at mulching and you can get a towed sweeper for it if you are really desperate to collect. But 3 acres worth of clippings to deal with us a lot!!

Also articulates in the middle so great for round trees etc.

Houns

Sorry got called around to neighbour and post timed out so couldn’t edit

Believe it or not there’s a lot of paper work involved for livestock, plus need someone to look after them

infidel
    Free Member
    Houns

Yep, I want a Flailbot, because awesome name

infidel
    Free Member

Well. Thats pretty amazing. A mower tank. I. Want. One.

timber

Steep bank = Flymo on a rope.

Your budget excludes any sort of new compact tractor really.

Have a look at Toro too, but like the Etesia, they’ll lack grass collection I think.
    Our old Atilla is basically a go-kart with grass blade, take it most places in the knowleddge that one person can right it, although not needed to yet.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Stop fannying around…..

http://www.claas.co.uk/fascination-claas/current/claas-news/new-widest-mower-on-the-market/849704

Well you did say ‘Spec me a proper Mower’

timber

[video]https://youtu.be/c7CFzDepXfM[/video]

Be amazed if you didn’t clip a tree/bench.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sorry for being slow in realising, but why would anyone be in the position of the OP, IE,

in the lucky position of spunking a few grand of someone else’s money

& not know SFA about what theyr’e spunking it on?

bruneep

Happens daily in Public sector

slowoldgit
    Free Member

New job? Congrats?

WillH

As noted above, if you need a collector are you collecting all the clippings, or just from an area that will be trafficked by people? (with the aim of people not tracking the clippings back into buildings etc.) If the whole lot, you’ll need a plan to get rid of the clippings. My lawn’s about an acre and I can barely cope with the clippings in the spring, despite having plenty of space to dump them.

kayak23

Sorry for being slow in realising, but why would anyone be in the position of the OP, IE,

in the lucky position of spunking a few grand of someone else’s money
    & not know SFA about what theyr’e spunking it on?

funkmasterp

sharkbait
    Free Member

For three acres it will take about 2.5 – 3 hours to cut that without doing any collecting. That’s based on a 25hp diesel mower with a 54″ deck, you could probably get up to a 62″ deck at a cost.

Your few grand isn’t going to go very far if you’re looking at new machines. If second hand I’d recommend looking at used John Deere x740/x748 mowers with collectors. Probably about £5k with 2000 hours on the clock.
    JD are great for service and parts.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Spec me a proper mower please’ is closed to new replies.