Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Spec me a natural fence please (big ol' bush)
  • bearnecessities

Mustn’t be bothered by wind (situated in a very windy area)

Needs to be as shallow as possible (about 1ft ideally), so no conifers.

Grow to at least 7ft (within 2 years ideally)

Needs to provide total coverage over 35ft, so ideally not a spend over £600 for plants that are at 3ft ish at purchase.

Any suggestions to start me on my internet hunt?

Ta 🙂

philb88
    Free Member

Interested too!

silverbirchdan
    Free Member

Ive planted a lot of griselinia hedges around the windy brean / berrow coastline of Somerset, and i know they do very well in those conditions, but expecting something to grow 4ft in 2 years and not be a conifer is pushing it! You could mix it with Viburnum which will give a great looking hedge.
    Good luck.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bush? Internet Hunt?

Is there a rhyming slang thing going on here? Eh? Eh?

(Apologies, I have no useful information to add on your hedge requirements 😐 )

Squidlord
    Free Member

Damn! Just beaten to the implied smut reference!

bearnecessities

Thanks Dan, look good and trimmable! How would you recommend mixing with viburnum (which I agree would look great from Google); simply plant alternately?

EDIT: For DD & Squiddy, I’m looking for a thin, good looking bush that can take a battering.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Aren’t we all…

(EDIT: my wife is away for the night, and drink has been taken. I will hate myself in the morning)

Bregante

, so ideally not a spend over £600 for plants that are at 3ft ish at purchase.

If you like I can ask my brother in law what he’d recommend how to keep within that budget?

bearnecessities

That would be most kind of you, yes please.

I’m liking Dan’s suggestion of mixing it up as well, but might spaff the budget a bit though.

EDIT: Squiddy, if this is the worst that you’ve done, then you’ll fee fine. Just don’t do a Samuri.

Bregante

Will do. He’s not a gardener though….

He’s a hedge fund manager.

bearnecessities

Swanker.

😀

(Bloody swear filters)

CountZero

A mixture of Beech and Hornbeam, with some Hawthorn mixed in?
    Beech and Hornbeam tend to keep a lot of their leaves through the winter, which helps as a windbreak. Leaves are a nice copper colour through the winter as well.
    Pyrocanthus makes a nice dense hedge, but the thorns are a bugger! Birds like the berries when it gets cold, too.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Some bamboos that would do this I believe.

qwerty
    Free Member
    silverbirchdan
    Free Member

Yeah, just mix them up a bit, depends on your budget really. Whenever I do it, im spending other peoples money!

nostoc
    Free Member

Escallonia

castanea
    Free Member

I’d e planting 75% hawthorn and then 25% mix of other natives such as backthorn, alder, guelder rose, hazel or dog rose.

That will grow quick as anything else and provide deent shelter and good natural habitat too.

Buy them as quicks from the nursery, 40-60cm tall and I would recommend cutting them down in height to encourage bushy growth lower down.

ElShalimo

to encourage bushy growth lower down.

Coffee all over desk now

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    MarinNo8
    Free Member

May I suggest that you give Tom a call at MountPleasant Trees –

http://www.mountpleasanttrees.com/

We buy all our trees and hedging material from him. On the domestic front upto 80m and on the estate upto 3,000m! Tom is very knowledgeable on both trees and bikes.

Gareth

bearnecessities

Apologies for delay & thanks for the suggestions (more the specific ones rather than generic links to bush retailers – even then, thanks though) 😀

I’ll also give Tom a call, see what he suggests as it’s quite a specific brief.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Spec me a natural fence please (big ol' bush)’ is closed to new replies.