Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Spec me a heartrate monitor for Strava…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Mates got a heart rate monitor and its a great for training, any bang for buck stand out options that tie in with strava for suffer score and monitoring improvements on local climbs etc

Cadence would be nice too but expect it pushes the price up too much.

drofluf
    Free Member

What are you using as your Strava app?

You’ll need separate sensors for heartrate and cadence.

You can pick up a bluetooth chest strap on eBay for about £25

mav12
    Free Member

aldi have some on thursday

f757lkk
    Free Member

Lidl or Aldi bluetooth straps work as well as anything else i’ve tried and cost £15!!! mine has been in the washing machine by accident too many times to count and still works just fine!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@drofluf android phone.

Also wouldn’t mind a watch if possible to pair it all together?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@mav + f757lkk so any reason to buy the strava official one over this?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-16-apr/product-detail/ps/p/bluetooth-heart-rate-monitor

riddoch

The lidl one works fine with strava on android, I’ve got a spare one if you are interested.
    The other option is wahoo ones, bit more expensive but do Bluetooth and ant so are compatible with phones and watches/garmin’s. I use the wahoo cadence sensor.

TiRed

Powercal to give you a guestimated power curve as well. Better than it has any right to be.

For Bluetooth, Lidl looks like great value

drofluf
    Free Member

That RFLKT looks interesting, anyone used one?

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the Aldi HRMs will work with an iPhone 4 for Strava-ing?

I looked at them in the store and it says 4s or later on the box but I couldn’t decide if that was just for the Aldi app or not.

Might be worth a speculative punt at the price…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve had the Wahoo TICKR Heart Rate Monitor linked above for about a month now, works well and has flashing LED which is always a bonus. I use it with a garmin 500. I also use the wahoo cadence sensor whihc is much neater than the clunky garmin lump.

Both wahoo items replaced broken garmin items.

CraigW
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the Aldi HRMs will work with an iPhone 4 for Strava-ing?

I looked at them in the store and it says 4s or later on the box but I couldn’t decide if that was just for the Aldi app or not.
    The iPhone 4 does not support Bluetooth Smart (aka Bluetooth LE). The Aldi heart rate strap requires Bluetooth Smart, so it wont work.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Thanks Craig.

Are there any bluetooth HRMs that’ll work with a 4?

CraigW
    Free Member

I think there used to be a few, but they are now mostly discontinued or expensive. eg the Zephyr HXM BT.

Also the disadvantage of old style Bluetooth is it needs more power. So you need something with a rechargeable battery, which probably lasts about week. Whereas a Bluetooth Smart or Ant+ HRM can years on a coin cell battery.

Another option would be the Wahoo Key ANT+ dongle. That plugs into the Iphone, and lets you connect an ANT+ heart rate strap. But that costs £50, seems it would be more worthwhile getting a new phone, or a Garmin watch.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Wahoo Tickr, looks like iron man when first connecting through tshirt. Been spot on so far, working flawlessy. RFLKT on the wish list. Although this displays more data when used with the Tickr itself and not strava via phone.

user-removed
    Free Member

The title of the thread pretty much sums up all the aspects of mtb-ing I feel removed from.

Yours,

Grumpy not-very-old man.

P.S. “spec me”?! Best get to bed before my cocoa gets cold.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not the cheapest but probably the most complete solution and your phone won’t go flat
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-500-red-with-premium-heart-rate-and-cadence/

glad User Removed turned up for the disdain post

ferrals
    Free Member

Anyone using a Bluetooth le hrm with an iPhone kept in a pack on their back? I normally put my phone in the top pocket of my camelbak and reading the strava info it suggests Bluetooth signals don’t pass through the body well?

funky
    Free Member

I have the Polar H7 and keep my phone in my camelbak with no problems.

jam-bo

Anyone using a Bluetooth le hrm with an iPhone kept in a pack on their back? I normally put my phone in the top pocket of my camelbak and reading the strava info it suggests Bluetooth signals don’t pass through the body well?

I use the Topeak panobike one, was about £30 I think.

Bag top pocket is fine, side pockets on road jerseys are fine. Central pocket on road Jersey can be a bit hit &miss.

I’ve got a RFLKT+ as well, good bit of kit now they’ve ironed out some of the early firmware features.

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers.

When I get an hrm i’ll prob also get a holder for the phone for proper training rides, but for general use will be nice just to sling it in the bag. I struggle to have a feeling for what zones i’m in so will be good to start to get a feel for that over general rides. I quite often end up thinking “I could probably push harder” but then struggle to do so even though my heart rate doesnt seem through the roof – maybe i’m just lazy!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Spec me a heartrate monitor for Strava…’ is closed to new replies.