Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Spec me a gluten free Christmas hamper
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a nice box of rich tasty food goodies for my sister. Not massively expensive, I’m thinking some wine, port maybe, cheese etc but I can’t put in cakes and puddings cos of the gluten.

They like niche alcohol, that should be easy enough, but neither of us drink much so I might need tips for that. They are also into cheese and other generally middle class fancy foods.

Got any ideas?

ebygomm
    Free Member

chutney, chilli jam

cinnamon_girl

Have you looked in Waitrose? They have a good gf range including cakes.

white101

M&S do individual mini christmas puds and mince pies (box of 4) GF, there not bad. Cheese and olives and stuff always go down well for a nibbly christmas in our house, GF crackers are easy enough to get hold from supermarkets these days, try Glutafin online they have crackers which are more cheese compatible than some supermarket ones.
    Port always goes well with the above and a nice bottle of red. What about trying a decent deli (if available) and getting some nice dry cured meats?

All heart attack food! but I love it (in moderation of course)

molgrips
    Free Member

I would rather get things that are gluten free to begin with, instead of bodge jobs. Port and Stilton for instance. Chutneys etc also good.

maccruiskeen

smoked meats and fish?

tapinade

rose harissa (belazu make a nice one – sainsbury’s finest pulls off the remarkable feat of a paste made of chillis that tastes of nothing)

some nice dressings / vinegars

Northwind

Understand trying to avoid GF products, but there’s good ones, Tesco will have Genius mince pies which are at least as good as your average mince pie, and they do a really bloody good fruitcake which nobody ever guesses is GF. Their christmas cake is pretty good too, it’s a bit heavy and bricklike but then, that’s not a bad trait for christmas cake.

white101

Admittedly some GF food can seem a bit of a bodge, the crackers break very easy and bread is never the same as a fresh crunchy role or whatever, but you kinda get used to it (or accept 2nd best!).
    Nice piece of salmon and some nice soft cheese?

maccruiskeen

quails eggs

molgrips
    Free Member

Maccruisekeen I only understand half of your post.. I am not posh enough.

maccruiskeen

all right then.. err. Cheese Strings 🙂

Seriously though – I quite often see quail’s eggs in supermarkets. They’re pretty and usually in a clear box which is nice as they’re for a hamper.

Boil them (only takes a minute or two cos they’re tiny), serve them on a plate for people to peel and roll them in pepper. Yum.

gusamc
    Free Member

but I can’t put in cakes and puddings

look around I got Genuis (gf) free mince pies for gf(girlfriend) can get Xmas cake, there are quite a few things (but admittedly some of em are a bit iffy) – check out your localsupermarket ‘free from’ area, for dessert nibbles could get a decent pannacotta or creme brulee, eton mess is a bit summery I guess or am I wrang

gf likes crabbies ginger beer esp orange spicy one and sloe gin(*it goes well on a decent vanilla ice cream)

rice cakes, sesame snaps or try and find some gf crackers for cheese

FieldMarshall

How about Foie Gras and a whole saucisson or chorizo.

Sun dried tomatoes

Pickles, ie cornichon, silverskin onions.

Oh and some good quality dark chocolate.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Spec me a gluten free Christmas hamper’ is closed to new replies.