Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SPD/school run adapters anyone?
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

Now then Gang…

As some of you are aware I’m currently in the process of a new build after having some time off the bike due to a dicky knee that has now been rectified. I did use SPD’s however there are many occasions where I can’t really be bothered to wear the shoes with cleats I.e bombing to the shop for another bottle of savy or the morning school run as mentioned. I was just wondering (and hoping) that some cunning enthusiast may have developed a lightweight cleated platform that could be fitted for these very occasions?

If not I may have found a niche and this could be my new 5 year plan ??

scotroutes
    Jerome
    Free Member

Just get the dual sided ones.
    SPD one side – platform the other.
    Works for me

ebennett

Someone posted a pedal that had cleats on one side and flats on the other a day or two ago. Will see if I can dig it out…

razorrazoo

Check out my thread from a few weeks ago.

Talks about the single sided SPD variety (which I ended up with and am happy with), but there are other platform solutions mentioned.

zilog6128

A mate has the Shimano A530 and reckons they’re OK, although obviously they’re a compromise.

The monstrosities that scotroutes posted are what you get clipped into the pedals if you buy a complete bike with SPDs (to comply with reflector regulations). I had no idea you could actually buy them separately. They are not great to ride on, obviously, and can be an arse getting them in/out quickly.

ollybus
    Free Member

I had those clip in jobbies on my school run / station bike. To be honset they hurt my knees as theres just enough movement between cleat and fitting to flex slightly on each pedal stroke. Have swapped for flats now

Stevet1
    Free Member

Ditch the clips and embrace the flats and freedom.

boblo
    Free Member

I bought some of these great for knocking around on.

scotroutes
    Tomahawk
    Free Member

Cheers Team… I’ll pick a set of these up, look ideal. I’ve used the shimano XT trekking pedal on my tallboy and they were too much of a compromise, always hanging 180 degrees out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you take them on off much they won’t last, just soft plastic.

scotroutes

As I pointed out on another thread, Crank Bros Mallets would suit you fine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SPD/school run adapters anyone?’ is closed to new replies.